Friday, November 6, 2009

Good morning????

Serenity now!!!! I wanted to share with you what my week day mornings have been like. I take Hayden to school every morning and three days a week after I drop him off I head off to my job at the clinic. He got his permit this past summer and the Oregon law is that teens need to have 100 hours of driving under the supervision of an adult before they can take the test for their driver's license. It takes about a year to accumulate 100 hours, so I let him drive as much as I can and driving to school every day is a great way to get the hours.
Hayden is a really good driver, but I'm sure you can imagine the stress of teaching a teenage boy how to drive on the way to school while in a hurry not only to get to the school but then to my job by 8:00am!
Well, just mix in this little situation.....road work ahead! The sign should say Major Road Work Ahead or better yet.....Stressful Major Road Work Ahead, Please Stay Calm!
Oh my gosh, it is about all I can take trying to get him to school and then get myself to work on time! There are dump trucks and tractors, school buses, children on bikes, work men in the road and other mother's just like me and all of us seem to be in a hurry! But what we do is hurry up and wait!
Normally the route to school and then to the clinic just takes about 5 minutes, but during the construction it averaged about 20 minutes and sometimes longer! We started leaving the house a half hour in advance just to make sure we weren't late.
Everywhere we went we saw construction equipment. Hayden got some excellent driving experience with learning how to drive around big trucks, tractors and heavy equipment as well as multiple flaggers and traffic jams!
We have about three routes to chose from to get from our house to the school and if one day we took a certain route and it was clogged up with traffic or had roads closed, then the next day we would try another route only to find that it had road closures and traffic jams as well.
I took these pictures over a couple of days, but every day was the same. Stress and frustration. We always pray in the car on the way to school and I'm thankful that God was in the car with us, especially me with my stress level! I always feel that prayer really does help me keep my attitude in check!
Hayden actually has been doing such a great job. He seems to be a natural and is coming along really great.
But with all the stress, even my coffee doesn't seem to help!!! :0) I get so extra stressed because my boss is a stickler and does not tolerate tardiness. I can't be late! I can't be late!
Everywhere we look... construction!
Okay, stop and smell the roses......I thought these barriers looked neat all staked up together. LOL!
Actually there is much to be grateful for. I am thankful that all these workmen have jobs!!! They started this project in the spring when the economy was really at it's lowest, so this is a good thing.
Also, the fact that we are getting brand new roads and sidewalks are such a blessing. We had so many potholes in our old street and there was no sidewalk, so it was dangerous for the kids to walk to school. It just would have been nice for all the busy parents if they got it done before school started. I am sure it was hard and stressful on the construction workers as well as the bus drivers too.
Finally, we made it to the high school!
"Bye Hayden, I love you, have a nice day!"

He gets out of the drivers seat, I get out of the passenger seat we meet in the middle with a big hug and a wave goodbye. (Isn't he cute!!!)

I am proud to say that I never swear, yell or do hand gestures at other drivers or construction workers while driving and I do stay pretty calm, especially in front of my kids. I want to teach them that it doesn't help the situation to get like that. My problem is that I internalize it and my stomach gets in a big knot and my heart rate goes way up by the time I'm done! LOL!
Now I jump in the driver's seat....7:57, oh my gosh, I've got three minutes to get to work!
Grrr......
What, my short cut is closed??!!!
Ohhhhhhh!
Slow? You want me to drive slow??? Do you realize I'm trying to get to work here????
Hmmmmmmm!
Abrupt edge, how about abrupt woman who's gonna be late for work!!!
Come on!!!!
Ugh!!!
Finally, there's the clinic, I made it to work!
And on this particular day.....just in time!
I better run! I need 200 cc of coffee STAT!
I am just being funny here and poking fun at myself. This is such a small thing to put up with when there are so many people out there with really serious problems. I am just trying to make light of a daily nuisance we had for a few weeks. I have so much to be thankful for; I'm thankful that my kids were able to get an excellent free education and that I have a good job. I'm thankful for our awesome high school. I'm thankful for my wonderful son! I am thankful that I have a car to take my son to school with. I'm just sharing with you one of those daily aggravating situations we can have in our lives.

As mother's we need to remember our children are watching us all the time and watching and learning how we deal with stressful situations. I want to always try to be calm, patient and loving during these times. But, even if we lose our tempers for a moment, we need to remember to be quick to apologize and really try to learn from it and not do it again! Life isn't always perfect and we have to put up with little irritants and we need to be able to deal with them in a graceful manner, which I, unfortunately, do not always do!

Well, since I have taken these pictures, I am happy to report that the road work has ended! Now we are back to our happy, stress-free mornings and we can get to the school in 3 minutes and I can get to the office in another 2. Life is good!

"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and faithful in prayer." Romans 12:12

"A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly." Proverbs 14:29

xoxo, Sharon

20 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

LOL! Thanks for sharing this. You are not alone I am sure you know. My heart SO related to your ordeal. What a great exhortation to all mothers and one that I need as I think on putting my third driver behind the wheel all too soon! Blessings!

Connie said...

Yes, it can be stressful teaching them to drive but trust me the memories fade fast with the years, sugar!
xoxo,
Connie

gin said...

funny story. but i think your photography kept you calm.

grey like snuffie said...

You did a great job with your funny this morning! Hope your weekend is grand!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you totally cracked me up Sharon! Man can I relate! Yay!!! You got there on time despite the road blocks!!! :) Have a super day ~ Lilly p.s. still looking at your kitchen pictures--love 'em!

Farrah said...

I love reading how you raise the boys. As you know I am raising boys myself. Nick is 15 and is getting his permit this winter. Scary! I love your attitude! Keep it up sweetie! Question, who was taking the pictures of you?

Beth said...

This was really funny!! I love the pictures of you in your car after you dropped him off! I can relate...I love hearing how you raise your boys too. I have two boys myself (3 and 5) I'm just starting out. I really admire you and your strong faith and walk with the Lord. I am working on my faith and praying more each day and thanking God for all of the blessings he has given me. It really makes a difference. Thanks Sharon for writing this blog!
Beth
From Michigan

Heather said...

great story! love the pictures to go along with it too. Is Hayden feeling better now?

Sharon said...

Farah ~ to answer your question, I was being naughty and I was taking my own pictures! I was being safe though, believe it or not! :0)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Great poking fun at yourself.

I try to remind myself to breathe deeply in traffic situations like that.

susan said...

Hey Sharon,
I'm so glad those days are over for me. My son who is 21 now was okay at driving and still is. My daughter was the total opposite!! God love her!! She always made us late (still does). She's 19 soon to be 20, but now she only makes herself late to our local jr. college! In some ways I wish we could go back to the days when they just started kindergarten! Life passes by so quickly. I too have been blessed through the years. Enjoy your week coming up and keep inspiring all of us with your words of encouragement. You are a true blessing to everyone!!

Amy said...

I love this story...cute pictures of you. Glad you made it to work right on time.

Linda said...

Yikes...I'm getting stressed too...LOL.
hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

Dearest Sharon,
Sometimes you make me smile, sometimes you make me cry,
sometimes you make me dance with joy. Today you made me laugh out loud!!!!!!! What a hoot!!! Boy can I relate. I live in a big city and the traffic and roadworks can be enough to bring you to your knees. Keep these great posts coming. You are a blessing in my life.
Erica

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, I am jumping up and down with happiness. My Mr. Romantic got your porch post to post for me...so your beautiful porch is featured for the month of November over here at my spot A Romantic Porch. Yay! xo rachel

Kathi said...

Sharon, I love it the way you count all your blessings in spite of all the trouble. It took a long time for your page to open. It might be my silly computer. Well, I love you. You look pretty even when your are upset. Love, Kathi

Kim said...

I loved the pictures of you! I can feel your pain. May God bless you and keep you sane while teaching one more teenager to drive!

I gotta tell you, I am stressed just looking at the picutures of all the construction along with Hayden behind the wheel. LOL
Take care,
Kim

Kim said...

You couldn't have asked for a better training for Hayden. Since he must always be alert for road closes, trucks and chilren it is a wonderful way to get use to the road.
My David is counting down the months to his permit.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Your story here is an exact replica of my daughters stories. I have two that are in your situation...One is lucky as she is a highschool councelor and her son attended the same school she was at...however...now the story and plot thickens and I hear stories like yours from time to time...poor babies!
Think I'll wanted my retired bod in and have a third cup of coffee!
Never mind...your time will come. I promise you! :):)
Hugs for all your driving problems...if that helps! :)
Mona

Sunflower Farm said...

I am on my third driver...three more to go. I so know how you feel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...