Thursday, October 1, 2009

Semi-Homemade Autumn wreath

When I visited my sister Kathi on her farm last summer, we went on a stroll through her property and I found these neat turkey feathers. I immediately thought that they would be really pretty in a fall wreath. I asked her if I could have them and she said, "Sure." She suggested that I freeze them to kill any little critters that might be living on them!
They stayed in my freezer for a few weeks as I started gathering supplies to make a pretty Autumn wreath. Well, instead of starting the wreath from scratch, I cheated a little! I found this pretty floral wreath at Goodwill for $2.99. I thought it would be great embellished with the feathers and some silk sunflowers and hydrangeas.
I could not find any good silk fall flowers at Goodwill, so I bit the bullet and bought these beauties at the Craft store.
I also found these beautiful fall colored silk hydrangeas. I LOVE hydrangeas. Man, I thought the silk flowers were expensive! They were $6.99 a stem, but I was blessed and they were having a 40% off sale. Also, each stem had four flowers on them, so I only had to buy two of each. Next time I see pretty silk flowers at a thrift store or garage sale and they are cheap I will probably buy them and save them for projects!
Okay, now it's time to assemble. I laid everything on the floor, pulled the heads off the silk flowers, laid out the feathers and plugged in my glue gun. I then placed all the flowers and feathers out on the wreath in a pleasing way.
Once I figured out how I wanted each flower and feather placed, I started gluing.
I had to really push the flowers onto the wreath so they would stick.
I then put hot glue on the feather quills....
and stuffed them into the wreath.
I think I'm done!
Aren't the colors so pretty!
I love the markings on the feathers.
I am happy with how it turned out!
It looks great on our front door.
It's fun to have a new fall wreath. By starting with a simple ready made wreath it saved me money and time!
What a lovely way to great the new season and to welcome my company!

Hope you have a wonderful day today!

"Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Love, Sharon

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's a great idea to embellish an old wreath! It's smart and economical! It turned out really pretty too!

Barbara from Seattle

Elena said...

Sharon you did a beatiful job. Your wreath is just lovely!

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
Wow, your wreath turned out so lovely! Inexpensive, practical, & most of all beautiful. It looks very welcoming on your door. Great job! :o) I used to find pheasant feathers while walking in the woods as a kid. They're really pretty, too. Cool find on the turkey ones. Love how they look on the wreath. God has gifted you the creative touch!

Kathi said...

Sharon, It is so pretty. I'm so glad you used the turkey feathers. I should go get some and do the same thing. We still have our turkeys. Kathi

PJ said...

ooo what a pretty wreath!

Anonymous said...

Great idea and it looks very pretty. A nice fall
welcoming on your front door.

Hugs
Pamela

Cottage Contessa said...

Oh wow sweetie, it looks awesome! A beautiful entry into a lovely home! Have a great day Sharon!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Brenda Eason said...

Great job. I love feathers so much. They do remind me of country and finding them as we walked.
Enjoy!

Tammy said...

I LOVE it! I would have never thought feathers would look so good in wreath.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful wreath you made Sharon. It looks very expensive! And the added joy of remembering your walk with you sister. Just super! Lilly

adsgram said...

What a nice way to be greeted as you as your guests arrive at the front door! You did a beautiful job, and the feathers are just perfect amidst the flowers! A happy start to Fall!

Lynne
dlynne172@yahoo.com

A Romantic Porch said...

That is gorgeous. Great idea. LOVE the turkey feathers in it. I always buy flowers at thrift stores and garage sales when I find good ones for a nice price. I keep them in a big basket by the piano. when I'm ready for one...it's there handy and beautiful. xo rachel

nannykim said...

OHHHHHHH--that door is the exact door I need for my side door--our trouble is we would need the right size and someone to install it because our house doorframes tend to be crooked from the house settling over the years!! and I don't have money right now for it!! Your wreath came out beautifully and I was seeing all the pics on your sidebar--a nice update on your blog!! Your 2 youngest sons look so much alike!! WOW!!

Heather said...

wow! i love the turkey feathers on your wreath. the whole thing looks awesome! and the only one like it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...