Friday, October 23, 2009

New cute, cute, cute idea!!!!

Okay, this is how this invention came about.......I was cleaning out my kitchen cabinets and I found this cool old Pyrex pheasant mug. I really like it because of the design, but I'm picky about what kind of cups I drink my coffee out of. I prefer a cup that has color on the inside, I don't like the white background. I knew that it was vintage, cool and collectible, but I made the decision to toss it out and donate it to a thrift store. But then I thought, hey, that might be cute with fall candies, nuts or feathers in it and use it to decorate for fall, so I decided to keep it.
Then all the sudden I got the idea to try a tea light in it. I placed a tea light inside and couldn't believe the neat glow that it cast! I was so happy! Then I thought, I wonder if I could put it on my little cup hook on the side of my bookshelf. I hung it there and it looked awesome!
The bad thing though was that the little tea light slid to the back of the cup and I was really concerned about the flame being so close to the class and causing it to crack. I started trying to think of a solution and then I got an idea! It was simple and easy too!
I just put an empty votive holder inside the cup and then folded a tiny piece of foil to actually set the candle on so that it would stay level.
It worked perfect! I made sure that the flame was actually clearing the cup so it wouldn't burn the glass or crack it.
Isn't it just soooo cute!
I love how it glows!
It adds such a warm cozy feel to the kitchen.
Now I'm excited to try it with jadeite and other types of mugs! So simple yet so rewarding!!! This is the kind of idea I really love!

Tonight is homecoming at our school and we'll be going down to watch Hayden play football and see who gets crowned homecoming queen. Hayden was chosen as the sophomore prince! I was so excited for him, but he really doesn't care though, he's so funny, he said, "Now I HAVE to go to the homecoming dance Mom." LOL! Oh, I'm sure he'll have a great time!

I hope you have a beautiful weekend! God bless you!

Jesus spoke to them saying, "I am the light of the world." John 8:12

Love, Sharon

24 comments:

grey like snuffie said...

That is a fun idea...does your hubby laugh or just smile at you when you show him such things or tell him...mine is so funny....being a good guy to try and appreciate but still being a MAN about such things. :o) Hope your weekend is grand Sharon!

Mrs. FSG said...

That is a wonderful idea!

Tammy said...

Great idea!

Amy said...

What a creative idea! Looks great!

Avalon76 said...

Sharon, that looks lovely! If you're afraid of the heat causing cracks, you could also try those little battery-powered tealights. It would be just as pretty!

God bless you too and enjoy your weekend!

Jen ^_^

Sharon said...

Thanks for the ideas about battery tea lights! I have burnt a votive in there two times now until it was gone (about two hours)and the glass was not even hot. I am really not concerned that it will cause a fire. Battery tea lights would be so easy though. I have never bought them before, does anyone know how long they last?

Beautiful pear tree lane said...

Hi Sharon, Out visiting today and thought I would stop by and see what you were doing, and I like this idea, as candles always make everything seem so warm and cozy. Have a great time at the game tonight, and I hope Hayden's team wins.
Blessings,
sue

Jocelyn said...

how cute ! great idea, im always trying to light candles in other things besides candle holders!

Elena said...

That is a great idea! It looks so cool.

Heather said...

very cute idea! next time you are shopping keep your eyes open for the flameless tea light candles. Pretty inexpensive and they work really well. they look totally real too! - but you don't have to worry about burning anything :)
have fun at the football game!

Desires of the Heart said...

Hi Sharon,
Your idea for the tea light in the mug is sooooooo cute! Now I need to figure out a way to use it. Way to go!! Very clever!! Thanks, Have a great weekend! Linda

jen said...

cool idea Sharon-

here is an add on-

you could use an electric (battery operated) tealight in there instead-then you don't have to worry about flame etc.

i started sustituting these in most all of my things that take teaights since now \i have a 2 year old) and they work quite well.

they flicker, last quite awhile and \i see the price is lower now than when they first came out.

thanks for the neat idea!

have a great weekend-

jennifer

Jan Parrish said...

Great idea and I love where you placed it.

dinoor said...

great idea:)

Kathi said...

Sharon, This is such a cute idea. I love it and I'm going to try it.
Kathi

Ginger said...

What a cute~~~~ idea, it's so fun to come up with such great ideas. Sharon I lost your blog for the longest time, I found your comment on Where Memories Are Made. I'm glad to see that your still blogging.
Blessings,
Ginger

Shelley said...

Hi Sharon,this a sweet little idea you came up with and you are so right it gives off a cosy little light...I had fun catching up on your blog. All your fall decorations are just wonderful....hope you are having a blessed Lord's day...thanks so much for praying for my little grand......

Sweet Nothings said...

I came across your blog through another one and have to tell you that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I especially relate to you through your post about the daughters by marriage! I have two sons and two daughter-in-laws. what a wonderul post!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a cute idea.

Sharon said...

YOu do look like a snuggy princess! :0) Love your pictures.

Hugs, Sharon

jAne said...

Ingenious! I would've never thunk that one up. :o)

Joy said...

Neat idea, it does cast a lovely glow.

Sondra said...

What a cool idea! I love the glow it puts on the cup too. :)
Ms. Creative you are :)

Sandy said...

Sharon,
I just found your blog, and I have been ready all of your past posts. When I got to this one I felt a jolt! My folks has this mug! And the memory just came flodding in. I lost my folks very young, and when these memories hit, they can sometimes be uncomfortable, but this was a good one! Thanks for the psot, the idea of the tealight is wonderful! I am a 55 year old woman who lsot her parents within 14 months of each other when I was in ly late 20's, it had left a lasting hurt that is just now beginning to ease....thank you for your blog! Sandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...