Friday, October 16, 2009

More Fall Decorations.......

Today I would like to share with you my fall decorations on our front porch.
I admit, it's a bit over the top! It looks like the entrance to a little country store! I love fall and I love to decorate, so what's a girl gonna do? LOL!
I have showed this old wheelbarrow to you before. It is actually three pieces married together. My father gave me the antique metal wheel and I found the wheelbarrow base and the wood box at garage sales. Eric put them all together for me. I think it turned out wonderful! It truly looks like an old antique piece! I love to put it out front for fall and fill it with mums, pumpkins and garden tools.


A few years ago I found this fabulous old cast iron pot at a church rummage sale. It was all rusty and beat up, but I thought it would go perfectly on the front porch for fall with floating candles in it.
I added acorns to the water for an added fall touch. We don't have an acorn tree, so I went down to the high school where there is an oak tree and got down on my hands and knees and picked up all these acorns. People probably thought I was going nuts! Get it...nuts....hee-hee! :0) I was a bit disappointed that most of them sunk to the bottom, only a hand full of them floated, but you can still see them and they add a little drama!
I found the floating leaf candles at a thrift store, three for $1.00. A funny thing happened the other day with this little display. I noticed that some of the acorns were laying by the pot and they were cracked open. I believe our little squirrel that has just moved into our yard this summer was sneaking into my display and eating my acorns! :0) This gave me a little chuckle!
I stacked some old wooden fruit crates to create this little display area by the front door. Most of these items are just things that I found in our garden shed.
These are new to me this year. I bought some beautiful amber colored mums and placed them in some old galvanized buckets and set them on the wicker end tables. I love how they turned out!
I wanted some fall colored pillows and throws to warm up the wicker furniture and I found these fun items at the thrift store. I love the little orange and red neck roll you can see there in the background. I was thrilled when I found two of them for just .99 cents each! I found the rust colored embroidered square pillow there to for just .99 cents and also the brown and orange blanket for just .29 cents!
You know a few weeks ago I had a man leave a negative comment about how much money I spend at thrift stores. Well, I do spend money at thrift stores, but certainly not very much and certainly within my budget. This particular thrift store where I purchased the pillows is called Teen Challenge and all the proceeds go to help homeless teens. It is a Christian organization that provides safe homes for homeless teens. I donate many items to this store and I purchase many items from them. It is a whole beautiful recycling process that is helping not only the teenagers, but the employees who work there. I am proud that I shop at thrift stores and I don't have any guilt for buying things there!
This old window is on the front porch year round and I just change out the wreath seasonally.
My friends and I made these windows as a craft project several years ago. I found an old nine paned window at a home recycle center for $3.00 and then I painted over it with yellow and then black paint. After that I sanded it down to reveal some of the yellow paint underneath to give it that shabby chic look. I purchased some chicken wire and cut it to size and then stapled it on the back with a staple gun. Eric hung it on our front porch for me. I love the effect it gives and it's fun to change out the wreaths that I hang on it seasonally.
Here's another old window that I have hanging above the wicker settee on the front porch. I was so excited when I found this at a thrift store for only $2.00! I have seen similar windows at antique stores for nearly $100.00!!! Score!!! It has a touch of stained glass on it, which I love! It does have a crack in the corner, but it has been hanging there for several years without causing any problems and it adds a touch of character to the window! This year I hung a fall swag made of a variety silk autumn leaves on top of the window and I like how it turned out.
Here's what our porch looks like at night with the candles lit.
It looks so cute and cozy!
Welcome to our home!
This old cast iron owl lantern gives us such a warm glow!
My father made this planter shelf for me about twenty years ago. I love it! You can't see in this picture, but there is a flower box that sits on top. I have this right next to the front door and decorate it seasonally.
I showed you this last year, but everyone really liked it so will show it again. I simply took an old antique muffin tin and filled it with votive candles. The effect is pure fall magic!
Here's a little trick that I do. When I go through my inside decorations and I realize I haven't used something for a few years and I'm tired of it, I don't just toss it out or throw it in the Goodwill pile. First I "demote" it to the outside decorations! I try it outside and if it works great and if not, then I will pass them on to Goodwill. These wooden cut outs of pumpkins and crows are a perfect example of this; they got demoted to yard duty this year! I think they look great on this little shelf!
Well, that's it for my fall porch decorations. I know I have a lot of things on the porch, but it is nice because I will leave it all up until I bring out my Christmas decorations. I will just add in a few touches for Halloween and then change them out for a few different pieces for Thanksgiving. Many of you ask where I store all my decorations, well, for the inside things I have them all boxed up and labeled and placed in the guest room closet. I store the outside things in our garden shed (click here and here to see). It is very fun and rewarding for me to decorate my home for each season and holiday. I love the homeyness it brings and my family appreciates it too. I try to weed things out every year to keep things under control.

I have been slowly starting to get more energy and feeling better. I have had a nice slow week and have been organizing cabinets and drawers. It feels so good to get things cleaned up, but I still have more to do and will share pictures when I'm done. We don't have any big plans this weekend, so it will be nice to stay in our cozy home and hang out together. I would like to wish all of you a great weekend!

"But happy are those who have the God of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God." Psalm 146:5

Hugs, Sharon

24 comments:

Avalon76 said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog! I came across it via your post on vintage homemaking books (I love the 1920s and 1930s). You have a beautiful family and a lovely home. Blessings to you!

Jennifer ^_^

http://silentstanzas.blogspot.com

Kal said...

I love your front porch!
If the worst thing you do is spend a little money at thrift stores...you have it made. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. My husband is grateful that I shop at thrift stores. I'm sure your is also!

Rosemary said...

Very nice as always!! Don't listen to dumb people Sharon, hes probably just jealous you find such great stuff at your thrift stores :)

Dianne said...

Hi Sharon
I just love your blog:) I go to it almost every day. I am disappointed sometimes when you haven't blogged, but I realize that you have to have a life outside of the Blog!!!
Keep on thrifting!!! I absolutely love to shop at thrift stores. Not only are we supporting a good cause, but it has saved me SOOO much money. We are 5 people living on one income, I couldn't do it without my thrifting.
P.S. I love all your fall decorations. Actually I love all your home decorations. You are very creative.

Lady Farmer said...

Sharon~
Your porch is just stunning! How welcoming to all how come to visit!
I think its wonderful that you shop at thrift stores ~ I just wish we had some good ones nearby!
The Stained glass window is a fabulous find! I want to come shop with you!!! ;~}
Glad you are feeling better and hope you have a terrific weekend!
Blessings!

Mrs. FSG said...

I love the acorn idea! How awesome! I would love for my entrance to look like a country store so you just enjoy honey! Hope y'all have a great weekend.

Pearlin J said...

i just adore that floating candle / acorn idea.Your home looks inviting!

Heather said...

your porch looks so inviting. everything is really cute and put together so well. i love the floating candles with the acorns! glad you are feeling better this week. i hope you enjoy a nice relaxing weekend :)

furniture Toronto said...

Hi. Great post about fall decorations on your front porch. It all has very wonderful atmosphere. The most admirable thing for me is the iron pot with floating leaf candles. How long do they burn? Really very nice, thanks for inspiration.

Take care,
Ella

Beth said...

I love your porch decorations! It looks so cozy! You find the best deals. You do a wonderful job Sharon and I hope you are feeling better.
Beth

Dana said...

It all looks so beautiful, just like pictures from a decorating magazine. God gifted you with many talents, one of them being craftiness:)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Love your fall decorations....Your blog is one of my favorites...Just out blog hopping on tonight...really should be working... Hope you will stop by my Christmas blog and leave your favorite Christmas song...and enter a great giveaway. Also, a birthday letter to my daughter on my main blog...http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com

Jan Parrish said...

It looks so homey. I'd love to sit out on the porch and have a cup of coffee with you!

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, Your porch is darling and you KNOW I really mean that! ;) xo rachel

a visit to the hollow said...

I love your front porch very inviting. I do the same thing you do, I too demote some of my decorations to the outside. I really like the acorns in the kettle with the candles. Your blog is one of my favorites, you have given me spiritual inspirations in many ways.

Karen said...

Hi SHaron,
I just love your front porch! It certainly looks like fall has arrived. Everything is just perfect. What a great idea to put acorns and floating candles in the old cast iron pot! So creative.
Thanks for sharing,
Karen

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon, your decorations are so creative and unique! So many special touches throughout for your family and you to enjoy. I love all your thrifty stuff and am looking in my thrifty stores with all the great ideas you gave! Hope your autumn weekend is filled with blessings, Lilly

Anonymous said...

Sharon,

Your fall decorations both inside and out are very pretty! What a beautiful home you keep for your family.

Brenna

Sondra said...

Your porch is so warm and inviting. Can I curl up and read a book there?? :)

adsgram said...

Sharon...first off I am glad that you are feeling better.

Your porch looks so inviting...3000 miles is a little far for me to come shop at your your 'little country store', but I sure would if I could! LOL!!

PLease wish Mackenzie and Brittany a Happy Anniversary and let her know her blog is missed.

You have a wonderful day...

Lynne
dlynne172@yahoo.com

LillySue said...

Sharon~
You have created such an inviting entrance to your cozy home. It really says Welcome Home to your family!
Blessings~LillySue

Mardell said...

Aaack! How did I miss this post?!! I must be going crazy?! LOL I'm in love with your fall decorations ~ inside AND out! You've got to be the most clever lady I've "met!" :o) Sharon, you do everything with such style & taste...and the amazing thing is, it comes so natural to you. I love that about you. (And naaaah, you're not "nuts!") ha ha.

Elena said...

I love, love, love your porch!

Kathi said...

Beautiful decorations, Sharon. I just love your house. Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...