Friday, October 9, 2009

It's in the bag.....

A patient came into our clinic the other day carrying these two bags. She was a very sweet, older woman wearing a cute cotton skirt and light weight sweater with her soft gray hair pulled up on her head in a loose bun and she had the cutest little southern accent.
She asked me if I thought the employees would enjoy some fresh vegetables from her garden.
She set the bags on the counter and I peaked inside to see these beautiful veggies. I told her yes, I think the girls would all enjoy some fresh vegetables and I thanked her for thinking of us.
After she left I took the bags and carried them to the employee lunch room. As I was carrying them I was impressed by the fact that she was using such unusual bags! She reused a tortilla chip bag and a sugar bag! I thought this was so cute and really resourceful and I was impressed. She was a 76 year old woman who lived through the great depression and I am guessing she learned to be frugal and she recycled the bags.

This reminded me so much of my grandmother, Margaret, who was so frugal and she reused everything even foil. She also saved the envelopes from bills and letters that came in the mail and she would use the backs of them for scratch paper. I remember playing board games with her and we would keep score on the back of an old envelope.
It is so rare to see someone reuse these types of bags, bags that food came in. I felt kind of bad that I have never even thought to save a chip bag or a sugar bag, but then I did realize that I do save and recycle my bags all the time, I save all our plastic bags that we get from stores such Wal-Mart and Goodwill, as well as the brown paper grocery bags and we reuse them for all kinds of things. I am going to save this sugar bag because it really is old (prior to the mid 70s because there is no bar code on it) and I want to remember this sweet lady's kindness and her frugality!

Oh, one more thing, if you are wondering why I have so many of the veggies.......it's because everyone took what they wanted and they gave me the rest of them. We seem to have lots of patients who are generous and bring us their surplus from their gardens. This is just a little perk of working at the doctor's office! :0)

Have a happy weekend!

"Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal comfort and a wonderful hope,comfort you and strengthen you in every good thing you do and say." 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

Sincerely, Sharon

15 comments:

Mrs. FSG said...

My husband works in a medical office as well and comes home with goodies all of the time! What did you make with the veggies?

grey like snuffie said...

I always love when some of our employees bring in their extra's...the tomatoes actually have flavor.

Michelle said...

Aw, wasn't that so sweet of that gal?! I'm sad to say we didn't eat one thing out of a REAL garden this year! LOL Maybe next year...:)

Heather said...

wow how sweet! i love fresh veggies. i would save that bag too. what a great memory you now have to go along with it!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Sharon!
I think older people really know how to be generous and how to reuse all sorts of things. I grew up in my grandparents home and NOTHING went to waste!
If you have a chance, come over to www(dot)ladyfarmerssewingroom(dot)blogspot(dot)com and see another great idea for reusing fabric flour sacks. I wish more flour companies would go back to fabric sacks.
Blessings!

Lady Farmer

adsgram said...

I love the sugar bag, too. I have a Hoosier in my dining room, and I have some old cloth bags (sugar, salt and flour) displayed in it. I just filled them with batting to plump them up to make look like the real thing. Keeping them is a sort of recycling, isn't it?

Those vegetables look SO yummy. I am sure you enjoyed them a lot! It's so wonderful that some folks really know the meaning of caring and generosity.

Have a nice weekend...

Lynne
dlynne172@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon! Glad you are back posting and hopefully that bug is all gone! Thanks for sharing this with us. I love how you really devote your attention to others. And admire things that others may never notice. And really appreciate a kindness...yep, you are a rose! :) Lilly

Sondra said...

Oh, I love this post. My mother in law used to reuse stuff like this all the time. That sugar bag is so neat and I am sure you will come up with a cool idea on how to display it :) I hope you are feeling better. Austin has been out of school all week with the flu..he can sympathize with how you feel :(

Kathi said...

Sharon, What a cute story and darling little lady. I would keep that bag too. This makes me want to be more thoughtful and frugal. Kathi

Happy@Home said...

Now that is a perk that I would love. The bag recycling reminds me of my mom and her sisters. I think we could all learn something from them.
Hope you are feeling better now.

Erin said...

How cute. What a great idea. Hope you are feeling better.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'll bet you're going to put those vegies to good use. They sure look tasty. We had our first frost last night, so my fresh tomato days are over for another year.

luvmy4sons said...

What a nice blessing! Those veggies look awesome! Blessings to you and your family Sharon. I think of you often.

Jan Parrish said...

What a lovely lesson in frugality and what delightful veggies!

Mardell said...

Aaah, that is so sweet! Those tomatoes look deeeelish. How very generous of her. :o) I re-use the wax paper linings (bags) that come in cereal & crackers. They're great for freezing meats etc. I never thought of the sugar or chip bag ~ very neat. I also re-use foil if it's not torn or dirty. Every little bit helps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...