Monday, October 19, 2009

I didn't lose a son.....I gained a daughter!

About a month ago Brittany and I had a mother/daughter day together! It was so much fun! We started the day with lunch. I took her out to Applebees.
We had a fabulous meal! We found out that both of us LOVE French Onion soup!
Then we went to a chick flick....Julie and Julia.
I was just enjoying my day so much. You see, with all boys, I do not get times like this very much. I am very close to my sons and we go out to lunch and movies, but usually it's an action film, not a chick flick! We have had lots and lots of fun together and we have so many great memories, and I can honestly say in all my years of mothering four boys that I have only felt sad about not having a daughter about two or three times. Really! I'm telling the truth, even every time when I was pregnant and learned it was another boy, I was very joyful and thrilled to have another son and a healthy baby.
I'm so bad.....I snuck in a pop and some candy! Well....I wouldn't have to do it if they didn't charge $5.00 each for them! We did buy popcorn though!

Any way, something new is happening to me. As my sons have aged and have gotten such busy lives, I don't get to spend so much time with them. I have noticed that women with daughters have kind of a built in best friend and I don't have that, you know someone to have girl days with or just to go to Wal-Mart with and the grocery store. I have a great relationship with Brittany, but since the wedding we have both been so busy that we haven't had very many girl days together with just the two of us, so I invited her to have a special day with me. I realized I didn't give birth to a daughter, but I have a beautiful daughter by marriage and we can be very close and have that mother/daughter relationship!
I realized too that to have a good relationship with her, we need to cultivate it and we do need to make plans and spend special time together. I feel so blessed to have such a great daughter in Brittany and I am thrilled to meet the other three that will be coming into my life in the future! When we walked in the theater it was completely empty! We had the whole place to ourselves! That has never happened to me before! I teased Brittany and told her that I rented out the whole place just for us!!! :0)
We had such a great day together! I loved the movie. Well, I loved everything about Julia Child's life and have learned that she is such a great woman and role model. Julie's character was a bit disappointing to me, but it was a great movie.
After the movie we headed to a fancy day spa. Here's Brittany in the waiting room filling out paperwork.
When I quit my job working for the cardiac surgeons they gave me a $100.00 gift certificate to this spa. I could have used it on a variety of things from getting my hair done to getting my a manicure, but I chose to have side by side massages with Brittany!
We were in two seperate rooms with an open curtain between us. It was so amazing!
I have never had a massage before and oh my gosh.....I'm hooked! It felt soooo good. We got half hour massages and I wish it was longer.
And to end our day where else would we go but to Goodwill? :0)
We had fun shopping and finding treasures. We both found some nice things. It was so fun to walk around the store with her talking and laughing, it was a wonderful day and it is nice to know that there will be many more of these types of days ahead!
I did not have a daughter by birth, the Lord blessed me with four amazing sons, but I do have a daughter by marriage and I count myself truly blessed!

"Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God." Philippians 1:3

Love, Sharon

15 comments:

blushing rose said...

IF we were all only blessed with such ...

Happy Anniversary to Mac & Brittany, may they be showered with blessings.

TTFN ~Marydon

Amy said...

What a fun day! I look forward to doing things like that with my "duaghters". I think a relationship between a mother-inlaw and daughter-in-law is very important. I love my MIL so much.

By the way, I mentioned you in my blog today. Check it out...Have a great day in the Lord my friend.

Mrs. FSG said...

How wonderful! I've been dying to see that movie, not literally, but anxiously awaiting. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Brenda Eason said...

You are so blessed. I have missed out on this. I wanted that so bad and went over board,but it must be in the girl to want a family and not take your son. Mine didn't even send a card or call after surgery. I was just heart broke.
Im very happy for you...you deserve it so much!

Heather said...

Oh yes you two should definitely have days out together more often! I am lucky to have a great relationship like that with my mother and my mother-in-law too. of course my MIL lives in Texas so we don't get to go out that often, but when we're together we're in-seperable! you two took some cute pictures to remember the day too!

grey like snuffie said...

WOO HOO! What a wonderful day...girly stuff is grand...I keep telling my girls that I won't know what to do with boys if they have sons someday. :o)

I once had an hour and a half massage and I didn't think I would ever be able to get up and move on....they are addicting.

That's too funny about the theater being so empty....my hubby and I went a couple of weeks ago during the day and LAUGHED hard that we had joined the geriatic set...everyone else there was pushing 80. We haven't seen that movie yet so it's good to hear a review....

Rejoicing with you in God's goodness!

Rosemary said...

She is blessed to have you too! What a great mom in law you are! Wish i had been as lucky myself.

Mardell said...

I think that is so wonderful!! You are both blessed to have each other. I'm sure it's hard for Brittany having her mother so far away. It's so nice that you're close to her, not only distance wise, but also heart-wise! :o) Glad you both had fun & I bet you're looking forward to doing it again soon. Happy 1st Anniv. to Mackenzie & Brittany!! Wow, hard to belive it's been a year already.

PS: Sharon ~ your pkg. will be in the mail tomorrow (Tues.) morning!
Hugs & thanks,
Mardell
:o)

BittersweetPunkin said...

Looks like the two of you had a very PERFECT day! I have never had a massage...lucky you!

I always sneak in my own candy in the movie theater...it's too darn expensive at the concession!!

Sondra said...

What a great relationship you two have. That is so important. I think it is great that she loves to hang out with you. My boys are all busy with their lives too. It makes it hard :( I am still desperately hanging onto Austin! LOL :)

niartist said...

LOL!!! SHhhh! I sneak in candy too!! LOL! My first time to your blog, and I'm loving it! I hope you can stop by for a look at my blog, or two ... ;) take care! Fab job! http://niagaranovice.blogspot.com

Diva Kreszl said...

You are blessed indeed!!! I am waiting patiently for my sons to bring home a 'daughter' that I can spend time with...

shamrock fields said...

Dear Sharon-
This looks like so much fun!!! I hope my daughters have Mother in Laws like you!!! We all went to see Julie & Julia! My husband went too--he has been a real good sport about chick flicks! He said that this one is now his favorite chick flick! Bless his heart--he has had to watch some of the girls' movies so many times that he even has the lines memorized!!! I have never had a massage or a professional pedicure--one of these days I am going to have to indulge! I too admit to bringing food to the movies--my pet peeve is the enourmous sizes of the drinks!!!Blessings-Molly
Molly

Judy @ daily yarns said...

What a fun day for you two...I'm glad that you have such a wonderful relationship with your DIL. I enjoy each of my DIL's who are each so different.
I enjoyed catching up on your blog.

Kathi said...

Sharon, This is such a terrific post. You and Brittany do such fun things together. I'm so happy for you. This is the perfect sounding day. Love, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...