Thursday, October 22, 2009

I can't mask my feelings.......

I'm tired of the flu and I am tired of the swine flu! I'm tired of all the crud that's going around! Our medical office has been swamped with phone calls and patients coming in with flu like symptoms. Every day we get a ton of emails on all the updates regarding the H1N1 flu. It seems a little bit blown out of proportion to me. One of our doctors suggested that we start wearing masks at the front desk to protect ourselves from getting infected with any of these germs. That was very considerate and thoughtful, but I was not thrilled! I admit it, I am a bit vane and I didn't want to wear the mask! I do not look good in a mask! It didn't match my outfit!

Any way, I said, "You know, I was sick with the flu two weeks ago, so I've already have it. Phooey on the mask!" and I asked our nurse about it. She told me that she didn't think I needed to wear it, so I took it off and boy was I glad! It was hard to breath with that silly thing on and it fogged up my glasses!

I hope all of you are being careful and staying healthy. So many people are sick that they are actually asking them to stay home and just talk to our triage nurse rather than come in for an appointment because there is really nothing we can do for them (well, the triage nurse asks pointed questions to make sure that folks do not have high fevers and that they are okay to stay home). I'm not a nurse, but from working at the office I've learned that the thing to watch for besides high fever and dehydration is respiratory problems. I guess a rare amount of people can develop respiratory issues and their lungs fill up, and without prompt medical attention they could die. So if you have kids, really watch for that. The old fashioned remedies are always good, chicken soup, rest and plenty of fluids, and remember, call your doctor if you develop flu like symptoms!

I guess I just had the regular flu, but I was never tested for the swine flu. We have had several confirmed cases at our clinic. All I know is I was so fatigued and had such terrible body aches. Mine started with a low grade fever, body aches, fatigue, stuffiness, coughing, sneezing, runny nose and my lungs felt tight. The worst of it lasted a week, but then I had another week of continued terrible fatigue. I am so thankful to be on the mend and I am especially thankful that none of my family has gotten it! I pray they don't!

Take care of yourself and stay healthy! Hopefully this will pass through our country quickly and we all will be healthy!

"For I will restore health unto you, and I will heal you of your wounds, saith the Lord." Jeremiah 30:17

Hugs, Sharon

~ Oh, one more thing, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry I have not been around to visit you. I have been so busy with tons of different things and I barely have time to put together a post every day. I am hoping to catch up with all of you this weekend. God bless you!

14 comments:

grey like snuffie said...

Sharon...you have beautiful eyes...with the mask on there is a sense of mystery about you. :o) My brother is a doctor...so I've been hearing LOTS of info....it's so sad all the fear this has stirred up. My family is always on me to wear masks when I clean or work outside because of my asthma but I HATE those things. Blessings for a grand day with Him...

Amy said...

I'm sick of it all too. We all had to wear masks in the hospital this week when the boys had their checkups. I am going back tomorrow for an MRI on my knees and was told I have to wear one until I get to the room. Silliness...We all have been sick for a month now, but thankfully it isn't the flu. The doctor isn't sure exactly what it is, but just nasty colds that are lingering.

oatbread said...

I think wearing masks is a little over the top myself. I just think it adds to the hysteria regarding this flu . I think if people take precautions they should be fine. I am glad you got over your flu , it is draining . I loved your yesterdays post too , what a sweet son you have . We dont expect you to post everyday Sharon but we love it when you do post. Donna

Elena said...

So sorry to hear you were sick. I am glad you a better now. Our family is staying healthy so far thankfully to the grace of God.

Heather said...

aww I think you look cute in the mask! better safe than sorry, lol. I hope we don't get any of the flu's in our house. Especially Ella. it breaks my heart when she gets sick with a cold, I can't imagine how stressed and worried I'll be if she gets the flu. I'll be on my knees constantly praying.

Ruthie said...

You look OK in your mask - but I know what you mean...they are not fun to wear for a long time.
Glad you're feeling better.
Love the promise ring and post below.
Smiles.

Sondra said...

I agree that everyone is getting so carried away. As soon as Austin was diagnosed with the flu my boss lady would not let me come to work! But that was fine because then I got sick :)(And she paid me for being out) Then Aaron got strep throat. Every time we went to the Dr.s they made us put on a mask. I feel like I can't breathe in that thing either. I found out today that the day I left work the boss also sent everyone out for a flu shot! Boy I scared them!! Austin still has a bad lingering cough. Doc thinks he has pneumonia so gotta take him for chest xray :(
Glad you are feeling better :)

Anonymous said...

As an RN I have had to wear
a mask many times.
I does make it hard to breathe. And fogs up the glasses. I cannot take the flu vaccine I am allergic to it. Big Time.
Pamela
NE Ohio

Sharon said...

Thanks Donna for your comment. I am so happy to be over this flu! I am still having left over stuff, but it is so mild. I hope you and your family stay healthy!

Sharon said...

Hi Pam! I bet as a nurse you would have to wear a mask. Things were a little more calm yesterday at work, but I know it won't be over for a few more weeks! It will be nice when it passes won't it! :0)

Anonymous said...

I agree Sharon time for this swine flu and all
cases of inluenza to leave!
Take Good Care
Pamela

Jan Parrish said...

We are really getting hit over here. We had this in the summer and we were sick for about ten days.

I posted about this. Take precautions and then continue with life.

Or you could have some masks made that match each outfit you have. LOL

Kathi said...

Sharon, I agree with you. You have already had it and it really does nothing for your outfit LOL. Kathi

Anonymous said...

Unequivocally, a prompt reply :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...