Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Delicious Barbequed Onions!

This is such a simple, frugal and delicious recipe! It's one of our family's favorite side dishes! First you take a bunch of yellow onions, usually one per person, but you could throw a couple extra in for the pot!
Cut the ends off.
Peel the skins off.
Try not to cry! Brittany was tearing up, so I told her to put on my sunglasses, I don't think it helped though! But....she is one cool onion peeler with style!
Okay, once you have all your onions trimmed and peeled.........
You take a knife and quarter the onion, but do not cut the onion all the way through, keep it connected at the bottom.
Gently pull it apart....
...and place butter down inside.
I put about a table spoon....sometimes more....sometimes less, it kind of depends on the size of the onion.
Once they have the butter in them place them on a big piece of foil, approximately 15 inches long; you need enough to completely wrap the onion.
Salt and pepper to taste.
And wrap up tight.
We're almost there! Now we need to head out to the barbecue!
Eric has been barbecuing ribs tonight and they are almost done. He said he was ready for the onions, so I took them out to him. He lays them right on the grill for about twenty minutes, turning them a few times.
Okay, they're all done! He says he can tell that they are done when they become squishy when he squeezes them.
Unwrap them to find a yummy soft, cooked onion with tons of flavor!
What a delicious meal we had! BBQ ribs, homemade potato salad, homemade orange Jello salad and barbecue onions!
I put them in sherbert size dishes.
They turn out so tender and absolutely delicious. If you love onions, you've got to try this recipe! If it's a date night, make sure that both of you eat them or that you have plenty of mints on hand! LOL!

Have a great day!

"Ogres are like onions.Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers." ~ Shrek

"As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend." Proverbs 27: 17

Love, Sharon

12 comments:

Elena said...

They are so yummy! The first time I had onions fixed like that was at my in-laws house. Such a great and easy recipe!

Sondra said...

Austin and I thought from your title that you were putting barbecue sauce on them!! LOL! We scrolled down real fast to see how that looked--duh :)

Mardell said...

And I thought my husband made that up!?!? He showed me how to do that a few years ago & I seriously thought it was something he concocted (he's known for that!) Yes, they're deeeeelish. I love using Vidalia's because they're so sweet. Oh, he likes to put a few slices of garlic in his...

Lady Farmer said...

Sounds Great! We love onions, but I think I will use Mayan Sweet onions. I love sweet onions and even they are a little hot sometimes!
I cook our sliced potatoes this way, too, on the grill in foil!
Don't know why I never thought of doing onions! Thanks for the recipe! They will be on the menu for this week! :~P
Blessings!

Heather said...

wow, i've never heard of making onions like that. i LOVE onions raw, i wonder if i'd like them cooked. I think I might have to try them to find out ,lol!

A Romantic Porch said...

Wow! I have never heard of this. I think I will try to bake them in the oven since we don't have a grill. Thank you for sharing. xo rachel

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! Those sound delish! Have to give those a try real soon. Thanks for the recipe/review!
--Brenna--

grey like snuffie said...

Oh glory...no one is home...hubby is out of town on business and I want to go start the grill up. I LOVE onions!!!!! Now I'm thinking about other seasoning that could be added. YUMMY idea!

Kim said...

I have been meaning to tell you that I tried your pepper jelly recipe and it turned out delicious! It was my first time making jelly. I plan on making more for Christmas and I plan to make red pepper jelly as well. I printed your recipe and added it to my recipe notebook. Thanks for sharing! Hope you are having a great week.
Kim

Kathi said...

"Mmmmmm" they look so good. I love those too. It's so nice that you and Brittany love to cook together. Hugs, Kathi

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Sharon...I read somewhere that if you light a candle and put it right next to where you are cutting your onions then you won't cry! It really works :)

I LOVE cooked onions.
Hugs,
Robin

jAne said...

Oh wow this looks delish!

jAne at tickleberry farm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...