Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Pipes....

I know I've showed pictures of this place before, but it is so beautiful, I want to show you some new pictures from this summer. We are so blessed that we live near some amazing swimming holes! We head up towards the mountains a bit and there are about 6 swimming holes within miles of each other. This one is one of our favorite spots, it's called The Pipes. On this day Hayden and I went and he brought two buddies, Dan and Chris.
The reason everyone calls it The Pipes is because of some old irrigation pipes that are built along the southern bank. All the local kids come up hear to jump off of the rocks and the actual pipes.
The rock formations are just amazing! There is bedrock where it is flat and you can almost walk across the river and then there are deep, deep holes where you can jump in. The hole that the kids jump into off of the irrigation pipes is 14 feet deep! There are little holes too that are only a few feet deep so the younger kids can enjoy a safe swim.
As for me......well, lets say that I prefer to just walk in the shallow water. I'm not much of a cliff jumper!!!
I love to investigate the rocks in the water and search for treasures. Here's one of my favorite things to find.
I don't know the name of it, but it is a little creature that makes his own house out of tiny pebbles. Isn't this just amazing! Look at all that work!
I am just truly amazed by this. God is so creative that he made a little critter that seems so insignificant to us, but he has the ability to make a little house for himself out of tiny rocks and sand!
I searched the Internet and found out that these are called trichoptera or more commonly known as Caddisfly. They are actually the larva of a winged bug that is closely related to moths and butterflies.
I also enjoy lifting up boulders to try and find crawdads. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I am so fascinated to find them, but they also scare me! I didn't find any on this day.
It is so relaxing to come here.
It is so fun for me to just sit on the rocks, soak my feet and enjoy the beauty that is all around me!
Another time we went we brought Sam and Spencer.
One of our favorite things to do is to bring a picnic lunch and one of the traditional sandwiches we bring are homemade egg salad! Yummers!
The boys had so much jumping and doing different tricks like gainers, back flips and front flips.
It was cute because they figured out that just jumping off the rocks with their eyes closed was really freaky and trippy and fun. I like it that they can do simple things like that to have fun!
They also were skipping rocks and having contests on who could throw a rock and hit the pipes.
They had a great day.
I had a great time watching them. I just love this part of summer and I realize that these days are coming to an end. Not only for the year, but in my life because my boys are all getting older and we just don't do this kind of thing much anymore. I realize that in a few years Hayden will have a job and probably a girlfriend and spending time with Mom and the creek will not be a priority. It's all understandable and part of life, but it's kind of sad. Anyway, I'll enjoy these days while I can!

Have a beautiful day!

"And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life." Genesis 1:20a

Hugs, Sharon

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Sharon, You always share such neat pictures and stories about your family...just love that! I really enjoy coming to visit you! You & your sister Kathi are such sweethearts...too bad we live all the way across the country from each other! LOL

Have a wonderful day!
Hugs,
Michelle :)

Mardell said...

Good morning Sharon,
Wow, what a wonderful place to go swimming & hang out. We used to swim in the creek that flowed behind our house. We called it the "Trussel" because we could jump off the train tracks bridge into the water. There was a huge tree with a rope & a triangle. We had to wear sneakers because there was alot of broken glass in the water etc. I loved to catch "crayfish" (as we call them here ~ LOL) My brothers taught me how to catch them. They make GREAT bait for fishing (remove their tail & place on hook.)

I answered your question on my blog. :o) Have a great day!!

Hugs,
Mardell

Connie said...

Well, everyone looks like they are having a good time, sugar. I love visiting the rivers of Idaho...
xoxo,
Connie

Brenda Eason said...

Gods beauty! wow. This looks like the streams we camped on when I was younger. Loved it.

Diva Kreszl said...

Thanks for sharing the lovely photos of your swimming holes...what fun! We don't have any like that in this area so it was especially nice to see these pics. Oh and thanks for the biology lesson, I love learning something new and yes God and his creations are amazing!

Kathi said...

Sharon, I love the pictures and the way you share your fun time with your family. Love that sandwich picture too. We had so much fun at the pipes with you ~ so many happy memories. I love you Dear Sister, Kathi

Kathi said...

Hi Shar, Actually everything is wonderful in my life right now. I guess you could say I am in the stage of being out of a problem, and might have to be going into one in the near future. Not that I want that, No. No. It's just kind of the way it is with the cycle of problems, trouble and trials. And I do want to rejoice knowing God is always with me and will never leave me, especially through a trial. Love you, Kathi

Jan said...

Look at crystal clear that water is!! Incredible! Looks like such fun!

Elena said...

Sharon, I can tell by all your posts that you love being a mom and that is so wonderful. Your boys have been so blessed by your love and devotion!

Heather said...

so much fun! love hearing about your special family adventures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...