Tuesday, September 22, 2009

One more summer Sunday.......

This is Alice, my mother-in-law. You can see Jim, my father-in-law, in the background. They came over for one of our family Sunday dinners a couple of weeks ago. She is so sweet, she almost always brings me a little hostess gift. Today she brought these beautiful fresh flowers from her lovely garden.
She also brought some wine and appetizers.
When I was growing up our family never really had appetizers before dinner, it was just something we didn't do. When I started dating Eric about 35 years ago, Alice introduced me to the idea. Every time I went to their house for dinner she had appetizers laying out while the meal was cooking. It was a great time for us to visit and catch up while the meal was still cooking. I think its really fun. Sometimes it was simple like a little bowl of peanuts and other times it was a nice spread of cheese, crackers and dips like what she brought this time!
I love this picture of Hayden talking with his grandma. It warms my heart to see his expression.
Here's a cute picture that I took through my kitchen window. It is of Alice and my daughter-in-law, Brittany, sitting out on the deck enjoying the appetizers and talking. I love the way the sunlight is hitting them.
Here's a shot of everyone visiting while the hamburgers are barbecuing.
Grayson and Hayden having fun on the trampoline.
I love seeing my boys hanging out together having fun as friends. It really warms my heart. I just can't get enough of it!
I snuck another picture through the window. I guess I am starting to really, really appreciate these days, as I am so aware of how time flies and how we are all growing older. I really truly value our family times together. Alice's health has really gone down hill and she has had a few small strokes. It is so sad for me to see her getting down about it, but I am so proud that she is still really trying hard to come to gatherings and I am amazed that she still brought such lovely appetizers and the flowers. I love her so much and am so thankful she has been in my life.
I finally lit my pretty candle center piece outside. Mackenzie and Brittany gave me this neat candle holder for mother's day a few years ago and this is the first time I lit the candles. Don't they look pretty!
Speaking of Mackenzie and Brittany, here's a cute picture of them. What a lovely evening we had. I think this might have been our last summer Sunday family dinner together.
You know what, the next day I looked out on the deck and noticed that all the chairs were messed up from everyone sitting out there eating and visiting. I often see things like this the day after a get together and I used to get a little irritated by the fact that things were a mess. It just shows that I was so immature back then! Now that I am a bit older and wiser, when I look out my window and see the chairs messed up I see it as a blessing that I had the people that I love out there just hours before all enjoying each other! I do feel blessed and I am so thankful for my family!

I hope that all of you have wonderful days today!

"All creation, come praise the name of the Lord. Praise His name alone." Psalm 148:13

Hugs, Sharon

P.S. Sixteen years ago today a beautiful person was brought into this world! Today is my baby boy Hayden's 16th birthday!!!! Happy birthday son, I love you sooooo much and hope you have a very happy day!

13 comments:

Amy said...

Recently I haven't been bothered by the mess left from friends and family gathering. I am just reminded that I am surrounded by so much love. Even with toys laying around...that isn't a mess...it is my boys having fun and using their imaginations while playing. Thanks for sharing your lovely time with your beautiful family. Happy Birthday to Hayden too!

Diva Kreszl said...

Happy Birthday Hayden!!!

grey like snuffie said...

Rejoicing with you over the glory of the family He has given you...always so encouraging for me to see other families like ours....the girls tell me so many stories of such dysfunction it's nice to be reminded that there are good godly families out there with boys that might come our way.

Anonymous said...

What a fun fun time and what a beautiful boy you've raised. Sorry I am not logged in. I'm on the kids computer. It's me Kathi. Love ya!

Heather said...

Happy birthday Hayden! I hope he has a wonderful day today. Love all the photos from Sundays time together. You are truly blessed :)

Cottage Contessa said...

Happy Birthday Hayden! May today mark the start of all your dreams coming true! Sharon, terrific family post as always. This is what I love most about you and your blog, the love you have for your family. Wishing you a lovely day sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Elena said...

Happy Birthday to your son! He is so cute:)

Anonymous said...

Love the picture of Hayden looking at his Grandma! The love is evident! Happy Birthday to him! What a treasure you have in your beautiful family. Lilly

Beth said...

I really enjoyed your post about your Sunday dinner. I loved what you said about the chairs the next day. Thanks for your words on that..very wise and helpful for me.

A Romantic Porch said...

How wonderful that your family can be all together like that. I love to sit and look at my house when everyone is gone and think about the fun we had. xo rachel

jAne said...

I haven't been visiting other blogs in quite some time. I dot in here and there to have a peek but haven't really spent a good amount of time drinking in your lovely posts, relishing in the wonderful gift of family and how you express your joy. So precious...

...and so precious are the days with our parents who are getting up in years.

Blessings, dear Sharon. :o)

jAne at tickleberry farm

p.s. I'm so thankful you're continuing to keep your blog public. You're used by God to introduce/remind us to what a healthy family should look like. And I *love* seeing what treasures you unearth on your excavations!

Brenda Eason said...

I love this get together. I love the times we have before our meal to munch and visit too. The icecream looks amazing.

Kathi said...

At first I thought I missed this one too, but see that I commented annonymously. He is such a good looking boy and nice too. Beautiful family photos. Love, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...