Tuesday, September 15, 2009

More Sunday fun........

Here's a few more pictures of our fun family Sundays together. On one of the hot August afternoons when it was really, really hot the kids all went swimming.
I just watched from the deck, but they all had lots of fun cooling off.
I just love it when the kids are hanging out with us!
Here's Grayson giving Rachelle a piggy back ride. He is always picking her up and carrying her around!
On another Sunday night we had a crabfest! Eric went crabbing and caught a ton of big huge crab!
Here's Brittany and Mackenzie watching Eric cook them. He always cooks them outside because they stink up the house. He uses the propane deep fryer and it works out perfect.
Later on that evening Eric and Brittany went up to the garden to pick some fresh produce.
I love this picture of the two of them coming out of the garden.
Meanwhile Mackenzie and Hayden were hanging out on the deck and visiting.
Brittany found these really weird cucumbers! Aren't they strange! I thought they reminded me of dinosaurs some how and we went inside and googled them we found out they are called Armenian cucumbers. Somehow a few Armenian seeds got in the pack of burpless seeds that we bought! :0) we did find out that you don't have to peel these and they do taste pretty good!
On yet another Sunday evening Brittany and I were picking some fruit from the garden. We wanted to pick cherries for a homemade cherry pie! Here she is picking blue berries.
Eric is always out and about watering the yard and usually Bailey is running around begging us to play Frisbee with her!
Here's Mackenzie and Cameron remenicing with some of their old toys. I'm not sure what Brittany is doing!
Look at the beautiful cherries and blueberries that we picked! Oh my goodness do they taste delicious!
Later Brittany and I made a fresh cherry pie. She had never made homemade crust, so I taught her how. First we rinsed and pitted the cherries. We measured out four cups of cherries and added 1 cup of sugar and 1 T of flour and mixed it up. We let that set as we made the pie crust.
I love the Better Homes and Garden recipe for pie crust. This is the recipe that my mother has always used and it works perfect just about every time! You mix 2 cups of flour, 1 tsp salt and 2/3 cup butter flavored shortening. Cut in the shortening and mix until the dough has pea sized lumps. Then you add 6-7 tablespoons of water and mix until it is a nice doughy consistency.
Then you separate into two balls. Place one ball of dough on a well floured surface and roll out to a very thin crust. You place the first crust into your pie dish and cut off the excess dough around the edges, but leave 1/2 inch. Then you place the fruit in the pie dish. Repeat the steps to rolling out the dough for the top piece and place it on top of the fruit. Trim the crust 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pie plate. Fold the extra pastry under the bottom crust and seal the edge with a fork.
Rub a tiny bit of water or butter on the top and sprinkle with sugar. Poke air holes with a fork. Here's the pie before we baked it. We made the cute little cherry cut out on the top just for fun!
Mmmmm! It's all done and time to eat it! Well, as you can guess, it didn't last long! I love doing things like this with Brittany. I am so blessed with the sweetest daughter-in-law!I am so thrilled that she enjoys spending time with us and that we all get along so well. Our whole family has had so much fun hanging out on Sunday's together.

Have a beautiful day!

"If you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding....wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul." Proverbs 2;3,10

Love, Sharon

10 comments:

It's Jan! said...

Aren't family Sunday's the best? The last one we had, two weeks ago, I had such a great time, I didn't take any photos!

Thank you for sharing your family with us.

Jan

Where My Treasure Is said...

What great pics!! You have a wonderful family =)

..and that pie look DELICIOUS!

Heather said...

that pie looks heavenly! i love your back yard. very cute photos!

Shelley said...

Sundays with the family is always so special...Means very much to me to have my family share the Lord's day together...if doing nothing else but,having lunch and an aftenoon nap in between services..

Blessings

Anonymous said...

I just loved all these pictures Sharon! And what
a wonderful title for
a blog post.
You have a beautiful
back yard and deck!
Thanks so much for
sharing. What a joy your
blog is. I check it every
day.
Pamela in NE Ohio

grey like snuffie said...

That is some garden...as I peek into your world I see so much to be thankful for...I love "hearing" your joy over your family.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Looks delicious! What fun you all seem to have! Love your backyard!

Sharon said...

Thank you Pam! I hope you're having a great week!

rhymeswithplague said...

This is one of my favorite posts! Such a great-looking, happy family relaxing in a happy, peaceful setting -- Mom and Dad's back yard.
The pie looks yummy, too!

The verification word is "hixop" which reminds me of hyssop.

The Barefoot Mama said...

That little cherry on top is the BEST! Adorable, guys!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...