Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mmmmmm...homemade ice cream!

Yesterday I shared with you one of our family dinners, but what I didn't' show you was that we made homemade ice cream for our dessert that night! Oh my goodness, there is just nothing like homemade ice cream!
Eric and I got this little ice cream maker 27 years ago for a wedding present! We use to make ice cream quite often in the old days but some how just quit doing it and we hadn't made it for probably over 10 years! My son, Grayson, mentioned that he wanted us to make it and we thought that was a great idea! You can tell by the condition of instruction and recipe pamphlet how old it is!
My favorite recipe is this simple no cooking one! It's just a plain and simple vanilla flavor that is really delicious!
First you add 1 quart of half and half cream. I only had 1/2 quart of heavy cream, so I added 1/2 quart of 2% milk and it worked great.
Then add 1 tablespoon of real vanilla extract
and 3/4 cup of sugar
and 1/8 teaspoon salt, that's it!
Then stir it until it is all mixed together.
The next step is to put it in the ice cream maker. It is really noisy, so Eric used an extension cord and ran the machine outside. He attached the canister to the mixer and placed it all in the bucket.
He put big chunks of ice around the canister and plugged 'er in!
He kept adding rock salt to the ice which makes the ice colder. You have to keep it plugged in and running constantly. It takes about 45 minutes for the cream to turn into ice cream.
It's all done!!!
Mmmmmm! But it's missing something!
I know, we'll add fresh mashed strawberries and sugar!
Oh my goodness, it is so delicious! I wish you could taste it! We made it again a few days later and I think we will start making ice cream more often, I certainly hope we don't wait another ten years for this wonderful treat!

Happy Wednesday!

"Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." John 14:6

Hugs, Sharon

10 comments:

Amy said...

I just love your red dishes! They would go great in my red kitchen. :)

That ice cream looks really good. Homemade is the best!

Linda said...

Oh this looks sooooo good. We haven't made homemade ice cream in years either...I hope I can find our machine:). I like your recipe...simple, but it looks so delish...hugs, Linda

Heather said...

definitely don't wait 10 years again! looks scrumptious!

It's Jan! said...

I just bought a machine a few days ago. I thought it would be fun to make ice cream when we got together. I'll probably keep it at the river.

Yours looked yummn!

Cottage Contessa said...

Hi Sharon! Sweetie, your ice cream looks and sounds delicious! Ever since I saw Barefoot Contessa make ice cream on her show, and made it look so easy too, I have wanted to try. You've inspired me to go out and get an ice cream maker now....finally! Thank you! Have a wonderful day!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Anonymous said...

We got an ice cream maker as a wedding gift also and that was 38 years ago.
We still have it.
The old crank kind.
Pamela in OH

Anonymous said...

I love homemade ice cream but we don't have an ice cream maker. You can find out how we make homemade ice cream without one here:http://parentingresources.suite101.com/article.cfm/healthy_lunch_box_ideas_for_kids

Btw, I love the no-cooking ice cream recipe. I've never seen one like that before.

Sharon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Romantic Porch said...

MMMMmmm! We love homemade icecream and have it for just about every special occasion. I'll have to come back and use your recipe. My recipe uses eggs and I mix it with a mixer then put in the freezer can...your way looks easy. I'll have to see if my family likes how it tastes. xo rachel

Kathi said...

There is nothing better than home made ice cream. Mmmmmmm! Wow, I can't believe how many of your posts I have neglected to comment on. I'm sorry I have not been around much. Hopefull that will change. Love, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...