Thursday, September 10, 2009

Fresh green beans from the garden.......

One of my favorite summer foods is fresh green beans. My husband brought these beauties in from our little garden. Isn't it just amazing that they came from a little pack of seeds! Oh my goodness how I LOVE fresh green beans!
Aren't they marvelous! Our favorite way to eat them is to steam them. First you trim off the ends.
Then you rinse them. I rinse them right in the colander that I will be steaming them in.
You put a couple of inches of water in your steamer pan.
Then you simply place the steamer colander in the pan and add a little salt.
Put the lid on and boil on high for 5 minutes! That's it!
When the timer went off after five minutes they looked like they weren't quite done, so I cooked them for two more minutes.
Perfection! Add a little dot of butter and voila! Our whole family loves fresh green beans. I always say that they are so good they are like eating candy!!!

I wanted to thank all of you who wished me a happy birthday! I had a great day! Turning 48 wasn't so bad! Have a beautiful day!

“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of Godand His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." Matthew 6:31-34

Hugs, Sharon

11 comments:

Kathi said...

Mmmmmmm! I love them too. "Yummers"
I'll let you know about Sunday. Love ya, Kathi

Brenda Eason said...

They look great. I have never cooked them this way.It is funny how being from different ares we do things so different.
I could use a helping with extra butter hehe.

elizabeth said...

Oh how we love fresh green beans as well! I am so impressed you grew your own as my little garden kind of fizzled out with the hot Texas sun this summer. It will not deter me from trying it again next year though! :)

grey like snuffie said...

Green beans fresh out of a garden are THE BEST....I steam mine a little then stir fry them with a little brown sugar and some soy sauce with minced garlic...AMAZING. I missed your post yesterday...Belated Happy Birthday! You're sneaking up on the FUN ONE...50...I LOVED my 50th.

Jan said...

OH Sharon! I loooove fresh green beans. My mom used to cook them along with red potatoes. She'd just cook them forever and they were delicious! Oh yeah, can't forget she added some bacon to the mix. Yummy!

LillySue said...

Happy Late Birthday!! Glad to hear 48 isn't too bad...I just turned 46! I think 50 will be kinda fun!! Just stopped in to see what all you have been up to. Can you believe fall is almost upon us?
Have a great week!
Blessings~LillySue

Heather said...

those look yummy. makes me want to run out to the farmers stand and get some!

Amy said...

Hi Sharon...Happy Birthday (belated)! We share the same birth year, and I am about 3 months behind you....kindred spirits, I think.

It would take too long to tell you my green bean story, but be assured that I absolutely loved growing my own veggies, and the green beans were the best!

Have a nice evening!

Love,
Amy

My Grandkids ROCK said...

Hey Sharon, Happy Birthday a little late. Hope you had a great day. Pam

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Loved our fresh green beans from our garden this year! Steaming them is the best.

Happy Birthday!!! Loved the pictures of your day at the lake. What special thing did your hubby do?? Details, please!!

Enjoy your weekend!

shamrock fields said...

Happy Birthday to Sharon!!! The green beans look so delicious. I really want to start growing some vegetables. I just bought a green pepper plant! Blessings-
Molly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...