Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TV tray treasures!

Look at what I found at a yard sale last week! I found two awesome vintage TV trays!
I love the wonderful black background with the gorgeous tole painted roses on them. I am slowly starting to collect vintage tole painted items, I adore the old fashioned look about them.
The best part.......I only paid .25 cents a piece for them!
TV trays are from a time gone by. They really are a great idea, I wonder why they quit making them. Can you just imagine a cute little 1950s family having their home cooked meal, made by mother wearing her pearls and heels sitting, in front of Howdy Doody eating their meal off of these trays? Actually, when you think about it, it's kind of sad because it was one of the beginnings of the end of the special family time when families always ate dinner together around the table without the TV on!
The cool part about them is that the fold down and stack away so nicely. Perfect for a busy hostess!
I'm not sure if I will just store these in a closet and use them for special events or I might hang one of the trays on a wall somewhere. When I came home from the garage sale I threw them in the office and I set one of the trays here leaning against the armoire. Every time I walk by the office and I see the tray sitting there, I really love how it looks! I love how the colors coordinate and the black pops off the green walls. I'm thinking about hanging the tray in there somewhere. Regardless what I do with them, I really can't lose, they were definitely the deal of the day!!!

I hope you have an amazing Tuesday!

"A tranquil mind gives life to the flesh." Proverbs 14:30

Hugs, Sharon

22 comments:

Brenda Eason said...

I love them Sharon. We still use,but all I can find are those heavy ole wood ones. great find....you almost stole them hehe.

Heather said...

they are very pretty! love the idea of hanging one on the wall :)

blushing rose said...

I remember buying these for Mother in 1961 for her Christmas gift. What a buy you got. They look pretty well kept. TTFN ~Marydon

Diva Kreszl said...

What a great find...they're beautiful! Hope your eye is continuing to improve.

It's Jan! said...

We had trays just like that in our home when I was a child. My mother would get them out when we were home sick and let us eat our 'special meal' of jello or chicken soup on them in front of the TV.

I'll have to ask my mother if she still has them. She still lives in the same house!

Great find, Sharon!

Jan said...

Aren't those just fabulous! That's a great find!

Mrs. Farrah Ginter said...

I remember my Holly Hobbie lap tv tray! I really miss it now. Thanks for reminding me of it! Have a wonderful day, dear friend!

Amy said...

We had the exact set when I was little, Sharon. We used them when favorite movies came on like "Wizard of Oz." On those nights we got to drink pop and have popcorn. Good memories.

Love,
Amy

grey like snuffie said...

What a wonderful find for you! I remember that type of TV tray...what we just got for our girls weigh 5 tons...oh for the day of the lightweight TV trays.

linda said...

What beautiful trays and what a deal, you couldn't go wrong!

My husband uses a TV tray every now and then. Sometimes he wants to eat dinner upstairs and watch a little TV at the same time so he takes a tray with him!

Happy@Home said...

Just the words TV tray conjure up memories of eating a meal in front of the TV. In those days it seemed so exciting to be able to do something like that. It was rare that we were allowed to eat anywhere but the dinner table.

Anyhow, they are so pretty and perfect for Rose of Sharon's house. I can't believe what a fabulous price you got them for. How fun.

Hope your eye is much better now.

Judy said...

I love them...and you got a great deal. I need to get some for our home. I had to borrow some for the last big dinner we had.

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
I have one almost exactly like that. I paid a dollar for it years ago & at that time I thought it was a steal! I have several smaller trays & have displayed them all on the walls in a group. Love the look.

Congrats to Grayson for prayers answered in his job pursuit. They are going to be so thankful for hiring him!! :o) Proud mama moment indeed.

Elena said...

Those are beautiful trays and such a deal!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Sharon. My MIL
still has those kind.

Pamela in NE Ohio

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

The colors on the trays are so pretty! I remember those. :)

Blessings,

Gina

Kathi said...

Sharon, I love them and wish I'd seen them first LOL, as i was with you. What a great deal. I wish they'd still make them and that nice too. Happy Tuesday to ya, Kathi

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sharon,
I told your Sis Kathi I had to come and see you it's been so long ((((Hugz)))) I love those Trays too!! You always inspire me to go treausre hunting lol.

Hugz Lorie

Sondra said...

I love your vintage trays. I have some old ones too but mine are solid colors like green and brown. We use them all the time. They are so handy. I was so excited to see about Grayson's job. That is such a wonderful blessing. I can just imagine how proud you are of him. How exciting for him to get to learn this new trade. I am sure he will be a quick learner and very successful!

jAne said...

25 cents a piece?!?!?! yowza! they're so beautiful, sharon.

jAne
tickleberry farm

Jenny said...

Hey, did you see Mardell had a tole painted victorian bed warmer on her site for sale?

Marie Berry said...

I am just curious what city you purchased those!? Because I JUST purchased 2 of the very similar TV Trays at a yard sale last week also for. .25 cents!! They are wonderful! I'm addicted now to finding these trays! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...