Monday, August 24, 2009

An amazing answer to prayer!

I have a little story to share, actually it is a testimony of a miracle from God! It's about Grayson getting a wonderful job this summer.

The story starts way back in March when Grayson went to a job fair at his high school and talked with a man from the utility company. The man was a lineman and after talking with him that day, Grayson decided that he really wants to be a lineman as his life career. He found out from a friend that the power company has an internship program and every summer they hire four high school graduates. Grayson knew that this is what he wanted to do. We found the website and we found out about another job fair they were offering.
At the end of April he attended the utility company's job fair. He was there for several hours and he talked with almost every representative there. When he was leaving a lady came running outside after him and said, "Wait! Are you Grayson?" and He replied, "Yes I am." She went on to say, "Everyone inside is talking about you! You made a great impression on all of them and I just wanted to meet you!" Wow! I was so proud of him to make such an impression on all those people! I thought this was a great sign.

After that he watched the company's website and as soon as they posted the internship positions, he sent in his application, resume, letter of recommendations and a cover letter. On the day of his high school graduation he got a call from them offering him an interview! We were so excited! We also were thanking God and praying that God would bless Grayson with the job.

During this time we had heard from a couple different people who work there that people in human resources had talked to them about Grayson and that they were impressed with him. We also heard from one of Grayson's teachers and coaches that the company had contacted him as a reference and the person from the utility spoke very highly of Grayson. We were really excited! He went to the interview and he felt that he did a good job. He was really nervous and he didn't feel that he did an excellent job, but he felt that he did okay. So we waited and prayed to hear the news. We prayed for God's will to be done.
Unfortunately, about a week later, Grayson got a call that he did not get the job. It was such shocking news, how could this be when he got such positive feedback? We did learn that Grayson was the fifth choice out of four positions. This all happened back in June and I'm embarrassed to say it sent me on a tailspin of depression (click here to read about it). We were so shocked and sad. It was so hard to take after all of the positive feedback. I was really proud of my son though, he took it really well. He said, "Mom, we prayed for God's will, so this must be His will and we have to know it's okay." I believe that Grayson took the news way better than I did. I don't know why it hit me so hard, but it did.


We prayed together and I told Grayson that God could do anything, it doesn't have to be over yet. Let's ask God for a miracle that one of the other boys will turn down the job or they will have another opening or something. Grayson said, "Mom, the other boys must have needed the job more than I did. We prayed about it and this is God's answer, so I am okay with it." I was really proud of him for having that attitude. He was very sad and dissapointed, but he did not get bitter or angry. He sent them a letter thanking them for the opportunity and stating that if something should open up that he would still be very interested.


Well, about two weeks later he got a call from the utility company asking him if he would like the job!!!! One of the boys did not work out and they would like to offer the position to Grayson!!! I could not believe it! God totally answered our prayer! Our whole family could not believe this happy ending! We don't know why he had to go through this, but we know that God had his hand in the whole thing! I am wondering if there was a lesson there just for me to learn as well!!!

He has been working there for about a month now and he LOVES it!!! He is so happy and it is opening doors to his future. We are all so thankful. So, this just reassures me that we should never give up and we should always continue to pray and believe! We don't always get what we pray for, but it is so wonderful to pray for things and ask for Thy will to be done and to know we can rest in that no matter what the answer is.
I just had to share this funny picture too! He had to get new boots for the new job. They are big sturdy leather work boots. To break them in he soaked them in water and wore them around wet! I walked into the kitchen and he was doing the dishes with just his swim trunks and the boots! I thought it was so funny!
He cracks me up. You should see how happy this kid is at his new job! I am so thankful to the Lord for providing it for him, and also for building his faith!

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Ephesians 6:10

"To God be the glory, great things He hath done!" ~ Fanny Crosby

In Him ~ Sharon

18 comments:

Diva Kreszl said...

What a wonderful story...your son is an amazing young man and he showed his true faith in our Lord and how we don't always get what we ask for, sometimes God has another path. Maybe the delay was God wanting to see your son's faith in 'His' plan and the patience and good character he showed by his reaction to disappointment. I am sure GOD is very proud of him too!

Connie said...

I KNOW prayer works. It got Keith through that beating he got in April from that gang of 5, honey. I pray for my kids alllll the time. Happy for ya, chick!
xoxo,
Connie

My Shabby Roses said...

I think God builds character in us as well during these times. Secretly, I think it's harder on us moms sometimes. We don't want dissapointment in our kids lives but as you know it's part of life. Grayson had a terrific attitude. I am so glad the job is working out for him. He looks like he would be a happy guy to work with.

grey like snuffie said...

Rejoicing with you! I think we mom's can get so wrapped up in our kids and often do take things harder than they do. But as they get older we too, are getting older (sorry) and sometimes I think our bodies get ahead of us emotionally.

And who but God knows...if it never had worked out perhaps God was sparing him from something...not denying him something. Take all that positive feedback and praise Him...I would also think "well done, good and faithful servant"

LOVE the boots pictures!

Blessings of all His best to your week Sharon!

adsgram said...

Sharon...first of all. You never have to feel embarassed by what happens with your feelings. Everyone has moments of sadness, fear, and YUP, even Anger. You were just caught up in a whole bunch of things all at once, and it was your turn to need to feel the love...of God especially.

HE knew it, and HE answered you twice...first HE said, "not right now", and after the thinking was done, you got a big YES!

Smile, Sharon...you are loved--

Best of luck to Grayson in his new job!

Lynne
dlynne172@yahoo.com

Mrs. Farrah Ginter said...

You may think this is silly, but what is a lineman? I'm so glad that Grayson had such a good attitude about it and gave his faith in God! You're such a good Mama.

jAne said...

This was/is a wonderful character building lesson for Grayson. Remember a few months back when we learned Lizzie didn't pass the EMT exam...by 8/10th of a point? Huge character building lesson. She's taking it again in December. Back on the horse..

*I'M* proud of Grayson and I don't even know him!!!

It's a lesson for us as mom's too. It sure can hurt deep when we want something so much for our child, almost as much as they want it..but a rut in the road prevents it from happening at that time.

Congrats to your son!

jAne
tickleberry farm

The Happy Homemaker said...

How proud you must have been at your son's acceptance and confidence in the face of his disappointment!I am so happy for him, that his dream became a reality, and hope he continues to have such success...although...with such a winning attitude,how could he not???

Kathi said...

Sharon, What a beautiful story of God's perfect timing and hand of blessing. Praise God!! We are so happy for Grayson and your family. Love, Kathi

linda said...

God's answering our prayers, even when we don't think he is! So glad it all worked out well for Grayson and so happy to hear he's on the road to a future career. He's such a cute kid!

Sharon's Garden of Book Reviews said...

What a wonderful story, Sharon! Your son sounds like a good guy! I wish him the best with his future!

And I can totally understand getting wrapped up in your children's lives and worrying about them. I have four sons, and I worry each and every day about them!

A wise old woman once told me that mothers of sons have a special place awaiting them in heaven! I sure hope so!

The "other" Sharon

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing that! I needed to hear a good testimony today!

Anonymous said...

Sharon,

I don't post often, but I always look forward to your posts! This one was especially touching and I am so grateful you shared it with us. God has been answering my prayers all week as well. God is so good!!!! This is just the post I needed to remember "to be anxious for nothing, but with prayer and thanksgiving bring all requests to God."

God bless Grayson and your whole family. What a wonderful son you have raised! And don't feel bad about taking it so hard- we want the best for those we love.:)

Jayne

Sharon said...

Hi Farah,

Your question is not silly, I almost wrote in my post what a lineman was, but figured that everyone knew what they were! A lineman is a utility worker who climbs the utility poles and works on the electrical wires. It is a dangerous job, but it s a very good career and right up Grayson's alley!

I hope you have a great day!

Rebecca said...

When my son was still a teenager (he's in his 20's now) I worried sick about who and what he would become. He was the child I ALWAYS worried about...

My loud lament caught the attention of my younger sister, Jenny, one day. She said this...

"Beck...don't know you that God has a PLAN for Brandon's life? He does! He won't call him to do something without giving him exactly what it needs for him to fulfill that calling!"

Ever since that day it became easier for me to lay down my dreams for my son for those the Lord had for him.

You are amazingly blessed my friend...and God is good...all the time.

Love to you...

Rebecca

Heather said...

that is so awesome! i'm so happy for Grayson. getting in with the utility company is great job to have. my dad has worked for our utility company since he was 21. your son is really blessed to get in with a company that will still do retirement benefits and so much more. way to go Grayson! love the pics of him breaking in the new boots, LOL.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. My husband is a lineman so I know the on he job joy they get from working with electricity and being able to do a highly skilled job.
My son tried to get a job with the forestry service, didn't get it on the first go around, which would have been about an hour and a half away with no housing available. First of July he was employed by a station only an hour away with housing and very morale guys to work with. Yes, God watches out for our boys! Praise Him! Carrie P

Mrs. Preston said...

Hi Sharon,

What a blessing and answer to prayer! The Lord was working it all out- isn't he just amazing! His ways aren't ours, what a great God we serve that we can come before Him and ask and he listens and answers according to His good will, and such was his answer! Amen! ;)

Thank you for sharing, it's very encouraging to hear! =)

God bless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...