Friday, July 10, 2009

Vintage Homemaking and cook books.......

Look at what I scored at a garage sale recently! I found all these vintage cook books and homemaking booklets for only $2.00! Not $2.00 each, but $2.00 for the whole lot of them!
I have an addiction to vintage cookbooks and I don't know how to stop! The good thing is I don't spend much money on them, but when they are cheap like these ones, I just can turn them down.
There is something about these brightly colored pictures that just gives me warm fuzzies.
I love any old cookbook with pictures of a busy housewife. I love the picture above with the ladies heading to the church bake sale. I really don't think you would see a picture like this in a modern cookbook.
Here's another cute one with the busy homemaker making a pie and above her it says "The way to a man's heart"
This little booklet is called The Housewife's Almanac. I love the picture on the front and.......
.....on the back. I think I love these kind of colorful pictures of happy families because I learned how to read out of the Dick and Jane books and they were full of pictures like this. Also, I was raised like this, so they comfort me so much. I read once that they (whoever "they" are) decided sometime in the late 70s not to show the traditional nuclear family anymore in children's books because there were so many broken homes and it made kids feel bad. But I really feel like they give a great example of goals we should all have. I really love them.
This is a cute little cookbook put out by Kellogg's All-Bran.
Here's a darling little housewife proudly showing off the cake she just made.
This is one of my favorites, it has a cute picture of mother serving a chocolate pie to her little children. The graphics and colors are wonderful!
While I loved all the little cookbooks that I found and showed above, these were my big thrill for the day! They are old, old, old homemaking magazines! They are called Modern Homemaking.
I found four of them. I absolutely love the graphics on the covers! They are from 1928! I can't believe that they are in such great condition.
The tones are perfect for my house.
I LOVE this one! Look at the lady's gorgeous outfit and all the beautiful flowers she's watering!
I think this one is my favorite of all of them. I just love these little girls with their kitty in the baby stroller out in the gorgeous flower garden. It's so precious. I decided that I am going to frame them and hang them in my kitchen. So now I am on the hunt for four matching frames and I think I'll paint them red!
There are some really cute articles and advertisements in these magazines. Here are some patterns that you can order. It is so fun to see the cute styles from the roaring 20s!
In the entertainment section I found this wonderful picture of Marry Pickford! She's with her cousin Isabelle Sheridan on the set of "My Best Girl."
There also was this cute picture of eight children with this caption: Four sets of twins belonging to Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Dalton, who reside near Omaha, Neb. Besides the four sets of twins there are two other children in the family." Wow! Can you imagine having four sets of twins! They were so blessed! I love it that the two younger sets have one blond and one brunet. Also, the youngest set are boy and girl where the others are all the same sex. They are so cute!They would totally be on a reality show now days!
This ad cracks me up! It is talking about your loved one being indifferent towards you because you have halitosis! The ad actually makes the statement, "You can't be welcome if you have halitosis." Wow, they don't beat around the bush do they!!!
Here's an unbelievable add selling dresses for only $1.00 each!!! Can you believe it? They are all so cute too! The fashions are so fun to look at.
I love these old magazines because they take the role of wife and mother serious. Here's an article about rubbing talcum powder on the little ones.
There's also a "Food and Table" department with menu ideas. Wow, they really planned out big special meals every day for all three meals! No Top Ramon and Chicken strips for them!

I love all my new cookbooks and homemaking books. As I said, I'll be framing the magazines, but I still need to figure out a way to display my little booklets. Any suggestions? I already have a bunch of cookbooks on display above my kitchen cabinets click here to see pictures.

I hope that you have a great Friday and a happy weekend!

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." Deuteronomy 6:5

Hugs, Sharon

22 comments:

Happy@Home said...

I think you hit the jackpot with finding all of these adorable little books and for only $2!! I think the magazine covers would look really cute framed and hung in your kitchen. Those vintage graphics are so precious.

Thanks for your information on a good devotional book. I am going to look into it.

Have a great weekend.

Linda said...

Sharon these are wonderful...I have the same addiction, I have a couple of the same little recipe books. I've never seen the Homemaking books they are a great find and cool to decorate with...hugs, Linda

Tanza said...

Good morning Sharon,
Gosh, you're soo blessed to have snatched these all up !! I too, adore old cookbooks, and any old homemaking type magazines.. Yours are priceless.. I would soo frame these as well.. Very comforting, and homey to say the least.. When times were different and I believe soo much more wholesome and pure !! Can't wait to see them framed.. Blessings to you as you start your friday.. hugs ~tea~xo

grey like snuffie said...

WOO HOO...celebrating that you made such a find...those are all so cool. I think you west coast people have the best thrift shops...maybe I need to go up into Kansas City to see if I can find such treasures....most of the shops I have been in sadly are the type that should just be set fire to...the stuff is horrible. These are all so cool. Have a grand weekend Sharon!

LillySue said...

Sharon~
LOVE your finds! the vintage images are just so sweet! I wonder what the copyright is on such old images. I would love to buy copies of the Dr. Price and the one below it and the Modern Homemaking covers. Those 2 cookbook covers would be lovely framed in my kitchen too! You may be on to a new way to make a little spending money on the side!
Blessings~LillySue

Willa said...

Sharon,

I absolutely loved all those cookbooks and homemaking books and a great price. I think framing those covers would be precious.

I have the Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook from I think 1950 from my Grandma. I treasure it. My Grandma even has a few grocery lists in there and a recipe from Dinah Shore. I think it is so great when you find little handwritten notes from relatives in their Bibles and books.

Willa

BittersweetPunkin said...

What a GREAT purchase Sharon! I love old ephemera....I would've snapped those up too!

Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Robin

Rochelle said...

What a great find! Those Modern Homemaking booklets are just great!

Randi Jo :) said...

I loved all of these!!! I love history/tradition and so these were so special to look at. It's amazing how much more value was placed on wives/moms "back then". It feels that some in our generation are desiring to get back to that time... but not all. Certainly not the mass media/government. Have a great day!! :)

Randi Jo :) said...

p.s. When I said, "so sad"... I meant that it was so sad that now a days we don't place that much value on wives/moms. I don't know if my previous comment was clear. Sorry :)

blushing rose said...

I love going thru these kinds of old books ... TTFN ~Marydon

Sondra said...

I really enjoyed looking at all of your great finds. I just love stuff like that. I have never heard of that magazine and to be made in the 20's! Wow, that is so cool. I could just see me out watering flowers in that outfit! LOL! Thanks for sharing. You gave me a smile and I needed it :)

Kathi said...

Sharon, I just love these cookbooks and booklets. I'm with you, I wish they would keep showing the traditional family for a good goal to have. It's comforting to see. I believe little children would see that and long for that if they did not have it. They would strive for that.

I love all the sweet mothers and wives doing their best for their families. Lucky you. I love you and hope you can spend the night with me next week. Love, Kathi

Christine said...

I love your wonderful finds! Those magazines are terrific; I think my favorite is the one from 1928 where the woman is watering flowers on the cover - it's so elegant. They will look gorgeous when you frame them! Thanks for stopping by my website, too.

Marina Capano said...

Hi Nice to meet you! What a just beautiful cook books!! I love them!
you have a fantastic blog!nice music!
you should have a follow blog button!!

I hope you in my blog!

xoxoxo
from Argentinian winter!
besos

Walking on Sunshine... said...

What a collection!!! Love them!

And please feel free to use the rose picture on my blog!! Enjoy your weekend!

Marina Capano said...

yes!!!
I´m following your blog!!
I hope you follow me, too

regards

TattingChic said...

Those vintage cookbooks are always so much fun to browse through. I love the old magazines, too! I have an old Ladies Home Journal from 1910! It is so cool to look at. I think it's actually called "ladies journal" or something like that.

shamrock fields said...

Sharon-
These are so cute!!! What a great idea to frame some of the pictures from the magazines! I have found some cute homemaking books from the 30's and 40's as I have been cleaning out my parent's house--what treasures! Blessings-
Molly

Mrs. Farrah Ginter said...

Those are so cool Sharon! I love the kitty by the way!

Kelly said...

Those are the BEST! Oh Sharon, you always find the best things! Love them! I think of you every time I see a classic anything. :o)

Persuaded said...

I know this is an older post, but I stumbled across you in an image search and I just had to stop long enough to comment... I have that very same copy of Metropolitan Cookbook! And I must say, I wish I had those same older magazines as well. What fun to find them and have them on hand to look through. Many blessings to you and your wonderful family♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...