Monday, June 1, 2009

Memorial Day Camping Part II

Today I'm showing more pictures of our wonderful Memorial Day camp trip to Crescent Lake in Eastern Oregon. After Cameron left, about a half an hour later Mackenzie and Brittany showed up!
Alice and me in our little kitchen.

After I peeled my potatoes and started them boiling I decided I couldn't take it anymore and I washed my hair. The only problem is because we did not have hook-ups at this camp ground, we had to conserve our water, so I used the water out of the public spigot in the campground. Oh-My-Goodness, was that water freezing cold! I actually got an ice cream headache from it! In retrospect, I should have boiled some water and mixed it with the cold water, but I didn't think to do that, so I experienced a very cold hair washing! Oh, well, it felt so good to have clean hair again!
Just sitt'n 'round doin' nothin'! Priceless!
We headed down to the beach for a quick boat ride. I don't know what my goofy husband is doing in this picture!
The water is sooooo blue! This lake is absolutely breathtaking!
Mackenzie and Brittany, so happy together!
As we took off in the boat we waved goodbye to Jim and Mackenzie and they posed for us! Ha!
Alice was feeling better and she really enjoyed the boat ride.
Brittany soaking it all in too!
Who said that chivalry is dead? Mackenzie is helping Brittany off the boat. What I didn't get a picture of is Eric putting me over his shoulder to help me off the boat and then he did the same for his mother! What strong, gallant men we have!
A happy camper! This made me laugh so hard. All my years of camping, my four sons have always whittled while sitting around the fire, and every time they whittle they would make some kind of manly weapon such as a spear, dagger or knife. They are boys and it is just in them and I'm used to it. What cracked me up was having my sweet little feminine Brittany finding a stick, getting a pocketknife and whittling away; well there was nothing funny or strange about that, I mean anybody can whittle. What was humorous to me was when I asked her what she was making and instead of the usual answer I always got from the boys such as knife, dagger, etc., she said she was carving a letter opener! It just made me laugh so hard because it is such a feminine thing to make and compared to all the years of witnessing the boys making weapons, it just tickled me!
The boys playing ball.
We have a closet in the camper that is full of old coats. We just keep them in there for emergencies in case someone forgets theirs. Mackenzie pulled out this old, old coat that he used to wear in middle school! We were laughing so hard because it must have been so big on him when he was a 7th grader! But you know back in the day he thought he was so cool wearing it, we all remember that HE's the one who picked it out and HE picked out the size. Back then it was the style for all the guys to wear totally oversized clothes. It must have been ridiculous looking back then because it is still big on him now! Time for dinner! Tonight's menu is barbecued hamburgers and hot dogs, potato salad, pasta salad and baked beans!
Mmmmm, what a spread!!!!
Yum! Talk about comfort food! After dinner we said goodbye to Eric's parents and they headed home. It was so nice of them to come up and visit us for the day!
Just relaxing after the meal. Mackenzie also found this old ski vest in the camper. We kept teasing that he was Marty McFly from Back to the Future!
My new daughter, Brittany, and I hanging out. It is so nice to have a girl around!!!
It's getting dark, time to sit around the fire!
Brittany and I wanted to try roasted chocolate bananas! You just slice the banana the long way through the peel and poke mini marshmallows and bits of chocolate in it. Then you tuck it back together and wrap it in foil.
Then you place it on the fire for a few minutes until the chocolate and marshmallows melt.
It doesn't look too pretty, but it sure tasted good!
I love the way the fire light reflects on everyone's face. Here's Hayden. It just leaves such a soft glow.
Hayden, Grayson and Mackenzie were talking about the stars, space and planets.
Good morning newlywed campers!
Brittany in front of their "Home sweet Home". They slept in the back of their 4Runner and were quite warm and snuggy!
Good morning Hayden!
Brittany and I made egg McMuffins for breakfast. It was really her idea and I just assisted. They turned out so delicious! Since we didn't have a toaster, after we cooked the sausage and eggs, we buttered the muffins and placed them in the frying pan for a few minutes. They turned out delicious!
My wonderful husband enjoying his morning coffee. I'm so glad he's mine! I'm so glad that he introduced me to camping! Did I ever mention that the first time I went camping was with him on the last weekend of our honeymoon! It was really fun and we have been going ever since.
We'll we're all packed up and picked up and ready to go! Here's Hayden relaxing after working so hard to clean up camp. He's just waiting for the final words from Dad, "Okay, let's go, get in the truck."
What a great camping trip we had! Being out in nature is so refreshing for the soul! So many times before we leave for camping I say to myself, "I can't go camping, I have too much to do, I have so much on my plate to stop and not do anything for a weekend." But every time after camping when we are heading home I always say to myself, "Now what was I so stressed about before we left?" It's funny because I can't even remember what was so important that I almost didn't want to go camping over it. It is nice to get away and not have a phone or TV.

For you youger women out there just starting your own little families, I strongly encourage you to explore the wonderful world of camping. It doesn't have to cost much, you can buy your initial camping gear and equipment at garage sales and thrift stores. Camping is so good for your family. It keeps you close and gives you wonderful memories. James Dobson once said that he interviewed several successful famlies and one of the things they all had in common was that they went camping!Camping is good because you need to work together as one unit as a team. You are surviging together and everyone needs to pull their weight. It builds relationships. It builds self esteem in your children. You creaate priceless memories. I highly recommend camping!!!

My husband's brown recluse spider bite keeps changing altering it's appearance. Overall we do feel that it is getting better. The red ring around it has shrunk, but the remaining red seems to be a darker, more intense red. The center where the actual bite mark is where there is a dark scab has grown from the size of a pin prick to the size of a nickle. The hard knot under the skin has grown from marble size to golf ball size. It is very, very painful. I'm so thankful he's on antibiotics. He is still up and around and actually has gone fishing, but I can tell it has slowed him down a lot. We are still praying for him. Thank you for your prayers.

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

"Teach children how they should live and they will remember it all their life." Proverbs 22:6

Love, Sharon

9 comments:

Brittany said...

Yay! We had such a fun time camping with you guys! I can't wait to go on more trips. That was pretty funny that I thought of making a letter opener...it was the only think I could think of! haha!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time! The bananas look so good!

Barb

Sharon said...

Hi Barb,

They really did taste good! You should try them! Thanks for stopping by!

:0) Sharon

Heather said...

well i have to say that you do make camping look fun! i still don't know if i could do it or not. if i had a camper that would be a better chance of me going. i need running water and flushing toilets, lol!

Linda said...

What a great time you all had, dinner looked so good....and the bananas sound yummy, I'm going to have to give them a try.
I'm glad Eric is doing well...how sacry for you. He'll be in my prayers too...hugs, Linda

luvmy4sons said...

Yea! I got it to work! I have had those bananas before! They ARE delicious! So good to catch up with you. I have had computer issues. Thanks for your visit. Keeping you in prayer and your hubby. Loved the pictures! Hugs to you!

Brenda Eason said...

Sharon the camping trip looks like a blast. When my children were growing up and mom and dad were younger we went camping alot. I miss it so much and want my grandbabies to know the freedom. As a matter of fact when I had my foot accident we were at Gander Mountain looking at camping stuff. Now I don't know when and if we will go.
I haven't really Said anything about the baby because im little embarrassed.You know Chancey and Emily just didn't make it. He is getting married again and she is pregnant. They were gonna get married before she found out,but still you know how I believe. I do know God forgives and he never makes a mistake. I can't wait to see wait we will have and then I will make an announcement.

Kathi said...

Sharon, What wonderful memories. I'm so happy for you. I'm worried for Eric, but we are all praying for him. I meant to ask you. How did you guys know it was brown recluse? Did the doctor tell you or did Eric find it and kill it? Love you, Kath

jAne said...

I really appreciate your encouragement to young wives about going camping. :o)

I'm keeping your hubby in prayer concerning that spider bite, Sharon.

jAne at tickleberryfarm.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...