Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cameron's B-day party and "How to make a Yule Log"

Actually, the today's title should read, "How NOT to make a Yule Log!"

Last Saturday night we celebrated Cameron's 23rd birthday! We had all the family over for a dinner of his choice. We were blessed with a beautiful day and we ate dinner out on the deck.
I put out my little birthday decorations and did a little tribute to Cameron.
I put the birthday survey on the refrigerator a few days before his birthday. He request chipped beef on toast, canned corn and fruit cocktail for dinner (if you would like a copy of the birthday survey, please email me and I'll send it to you!). Our tradition is that I make the dinner of their choice on their birthday and this is what he really wanted! It's actually sliced ham, not chipped beef. He got to eat on the special plate. For his cake he wanted me to make a Yule Log! Isn't that a funny request, Yule Logs are a Christmas tradition, not for birthdays!!!! But, since it's his birthday, he gets what he wants and I attempted to make it!
Okay, first of all, I must confess, the Yule Log did not turn out quite like it should have. I have been so busy with so many things and we are trying to work in our yard to get ready for Grayson's grad party, so I took some shortcuts with this cake and perhaps I shouldn't have. I'll take you through the steps. First you take a big cookie sheet and generously spread shortening all over it. Then you generously sprinkle flour all over that.
This is where I took a shortcut that perhaps I shouldn't have. I did not make the cake from scratch, instead I used a box mix. Well, I searched the Internet and Sondra Lee said you could use a box mix, BUT, I never went back to her recipe to see if she added more ingredients and perhaps she did!
Anyway, after you make the batter, you pour it into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly. You bake it at 375 for 17-19 minutes.
Meanwhile you lay down a linen tea towel and generously sprinkle powdered sugar all over it.
When the cake is done you flip it onto the prepared tea towel.
Then you gently roll the cake up in the towel.
You set it on cooling racks.
Once the cake is completely cooled you ever so gently unroll it.
Right away I knew something was wrong. My cake was breaking apart. I watched a little how to video on You Tube and the man's cake on there rolled out beautifully in one piece. Uh-oh!
The next step is you take a big tub of whipped topping and add 1-1/2 teaspoons of fresh coffee grinds. Mix this up well and spread onto the cake.
I think this is another bad decision I made. The man on the video said leave 1/2 inch all around the border and I went all the way to the edges. This was a problem because when I rolled it I had a lot of excess whipped topping that squeezed out of the sides and was a big mess!
Anyway, the next step was to very carefully roll it up. My cake kept breaking, so it really was not a nice little rolled up log, it was more of a flattened out mess! Oh well, what's a girl to do??? I just covered it with tons of ready made frosting and hopped for the best! Oh, I almost forgot to mention. You cut one of the ends off and place it on the top to look like a knot in the log.
After you're done getting it completely covered with frosting you drag your fork through it to make it look like bark. If I was really creative and had time, I would have made marzipan mushrooms and leaves, but since I don't know how to make marzipan and I was short on time, I just sprinkled it with powdered sugar and chocolate sprinkles. You should look at Yule Logs on Google Images, there are some gorgeous ones out there. Mine is kind of flattened out and looks more like a big blob instead of a log, but it's the thought that counts and you know what?????
He loved it!!!! Actually everyone thought it was a fabulous cake. Having that coffee flavored whipped cream added such a delicious flavor!

So there you have it, steps on how NOT to make a Yule Log!!!!

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

Hope you're having a great day!

Hugs, Sharon

15 comments:

Heather said...

lol, i think it turned out great and like you said, all that mattered is that the birthday boy liked it! sometimes the things that turn out to not look like they should end up being the best tasting things in the end! appearances aren't everything :)

Jocelyn said...

That's hilarious! Love the Log Blob !

Tonight I am making Fondant Butterflies for a three yr olds Birthday Party.

Yep, the BG turns three, Uncle shawn already bought her Hula Hoop, and I'll be knee deep in fondant and cream cheese frosting all night!

Anonymous said...

Oh what fun Sharon. And Camerons yule log looks
just fine to me.
Those are not the easy
cake to make.
Thank you for sharing!
Pamela in NE OH

grey like snuffie said...

All rolled up I bet no one knew...I think it looks great...I've never heard of coffee flavored whipped cream...must check that out. Well done mom!

Monica said...

I think it looks great!I love the idea of the birthday survey and I want to start that tradition in my home.Here's my email.
mlongoria_26@yahoo.com
Thanks!

Tanza said...

Ooohh Sharon,
HAHAHA !!! You did a wonderful job !! Your such a good Momma.. I totally get how to do this now, I'm gonna try !! I always buy one at Christmas time, for Christmas Day.. They are expensive too !! I NEVER had any idea on baking and making these..WOW !! you're a brave soul !! Looks like it was truly enjoyed.. Happy times to you..hugs..~tea~xo

Walking on Sunshine... said...

First off, I cannot believe you have a 23 year old son!!! You look way too young!! And as long as it tastes good, I'm sure they enjoyed it!!! It looked pretty!!! Hope he had a great day!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I think it is hilarious that he wanted a Christmas cake for his birthday. i love the idea of that coffee-flavored whip cream. It's so sweet of you to do the birthday survey.

Kathi said...

Sharon, I'm sorry your yule log didn't turn out the way you liked, but I have seen you make them before perfectly. You just didn't have a lot of time this week. Bless you for trying. Cameron is a godly and handsome young man. I pray God gives him a godly and sweet wife/ daughter-in-law for you. Love you, Kathi

Kathi said...

P.S. Ever since I updated my computer, I can't see the people pictures on comments. Can you still see them? hugs, Kathi

Randi Jo :) said...

looks great! :) I'm sure it tasted yummy.

have a great day!

Randi Jo :) said...

P.S

I'd love to see what the birthday survey is all about! :)

luvmy4sons said...

I think it looks delicious! TOTALLY!

Kelly said...

Happy birthday to Cameron! What a great party - and I always love that special day plate that you honor your bday guys with. :o)

You are too adorable, Sharon, and make me SO excited for when my girls are older. You're such a fun mom and a really cool gal!

jAne said...

No matter what's underneath, the finished yule log is beautiful and I'm sure tasted incredibly good!!! :o)

When I make yule logs, I put the filling on *then* roll it up carefully. I rarely have breaks.

jAne at tickleberryfarm.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...