Saturday, June 13, 2009

Big Adventure and A Mother Has to Let Go

Here's Grayson and his buddies, from left to right, Milo, Garrett, Aleks and Grayson. They are about to head off for a great adventure! All four of these boys just graduated and they are taking a two night camping trip all by themselves!
I learned a lesson way back in the summer of 2003 when my first born, Mackenzie, wanted to take a road trip with his best friend after they graduated from high school. They wanted to drive all the way down to San Francisco and my first reaction was to say no, but after discussing it with my husband I realized that I had to let him go, he is 18 after all and has graduated out of high school. I had to trust God to take care of him. I knew that we raised him right and that he is a good boy, a wise person, a smart person and he was a good driver and very responsible. I felt that way about his best friend, Collin whom he was driving with.

Eric and I helped as much as we could and we knew their route and where they were staying. We kept in contact and we prayed! They came home perfectly safe and my son was stronger and more confident because of it. It was a rite of passage and he became more of a man by this experience. The next year when Cameron graduated, we allowed him to take a road trip too. It was much easier when Cameron went because of the experience with Mackenzie the year before.
So it was no big surprise when Grayson and his buddies started planning their "road trip" which is a two night camping trip out in the wilderness. They are going to one of the high lakes in Eastern Oregon. They have to hike in for two hours to get to this little lake. They can only take in what they can carry on their backs! Above is a picture of all of their packs, which all weigh about 50 pounds each!

These boys were so excited all week as they were planning it out, planning the food, looking through all the maps, shopping for their food and packing their backpacks. They will be surviving on their own! They actually are planning to catch their dinner, so no fish, no dinner!

My husband did this very same thing when he was 18 and he loved it. He kept saying the night before, "They're gonna have so much fun!" It was so fun taking these pictures and observing them, they were so excited and happy! They are MEN now!
I was really happy to learn that Wally is going along too. Wally is Garrett's big, huge, yellow lab! It makes me feel safer knowing they have a dog along. It made me nervous seeing them all cram in Garrett's little truck. Grayson is in the little jump seat behind Garrett and Wally!
There they go. So this little mama once again is letting go of one of her little boys. They left Friday morning and will not be back until Sunday evening. I did really good yesterday, but then at 3:00 in the morning I awoke in fear and worry because there are so many dangers and so many things that can go wrong. I just started praying. It is amazing how the Lord can give us peace when we pray and give it all to HIM!


"Oh, dear Lord, please watch over these boys. Please protect them and keep them safe. Have your angels surrounding them and protecting them. Please let them have the time of their life!"
"Be anxious about nothing; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6, 7


Trusting in Him, Sharon

5 comments:

PamperingBeki said...

Oh how fun!!

You're a great mom.
That has to be a hard thing. I'm not looking forward to the day I have to let my kids go like that.

Rebecca said...

Oh my gosh...can I relate to this...

I thought I had the "leavin' me" thing down and as my son/daughter both grew I got better at it all.

Then...in 2003 I watched my son as he became a daddy...holding his first little baby in his arms...

That was it...I was a gonner.

Loved this post...precious.

xoBlessings to you as you learn to keep letting go...

Rebecca

Heather said...

that is so cool that all your boys have done this so far and including your husband at that age! love the pictures. can't wait to hear all about it when he returns. did he take a camera with him? i sure hope so! i bet he'll get great photos on the lake.

Kathi said...

Sharon, I have learned so much from you. This is a huge thing for me too. This idea of allowing them to do things, once they are old enough and wise enough, and trusting God is HUGE. Thank you for sharing your fears, worries and trust in the Lord. It helps me. I love you, Kathi ps I'm still not all the way well. This was a bad cold.

City Girl Country Heart said...

You are a great Mom and you shouldnt worry about a thing because you both raised him so well to be a great man. Besides, God is watching over him and keeping him safe!
Hope your weekened is great !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...