Friday, June 5, 2009

Baccalaureate

Tuesday night we went to Grayson's baccalaureate service. It was put on by all the churches in our community and it was held at the Baptist church.
It was a very nice service. It was so neat to be in church and worshiping God with so many of our friends from the school. I wish it was this way every Sunday for us! I was so proud of the students who performed on the praise team and lead worship for the service.
The school choir also performed as well as the jazz band.
One of the local youth pastors spoke and gave a very inspiring message. After that they handed out Bibles to all of the students. You can see Grayson standing up to get his, he is the one in the black t-shirt with 77 on the back.
I couldn't get a good picture, but here he is walking back to his seat with his new Bible. What a neat ministry this is. This might very well be the only time some of these kids have gone to church or ever owned their own Bible. I think Baccalaureate is a wonderful tradition.
After the service they served cake, coffee and punch.
Here's Grayson after the service. At this point he only had one more day of school left. He was feeling pretty good, except he had to get through another day of final exams!
When we opened the doors to leave the church this is what we saw!
There was a huge thunder storm that came through town with torrential downpour of rain! It was crazy. I'm glad we didn't have far to drive. All in all it was a very nice evening.

Well, tonight is the big night! He will be graduating from high school after going to public school for 13 years! He is so excited. I have been so busy with the planning committee putting together the senior/parent breakfast, which is this morning at 8:00. We had a work party last night and we cut up tons of fruit, bagels and muffins as well as decorated and set up the school cafeteria. We also planned the big huge all night drug and alcohol free grad party, which the kids will be going to right after graduation. It is a surprise and they do not know where they are going to! It is a very fun place though and they won't get home until 6:00 am on Saturday! I have been working with an excellent committee with so many "can do" people. It has been a pleasure and we are so proud that we were able to plan these big events in our kid's lives!

I don't know if I'll be able to post for a few days because I will be so busy with everything, but we'll see. I have so much cleaning to do and errands to run and Saturday is really the only day to get everything done. We will be going to church on Sunday and then having Gray's grad party here in the afternoon. If you think about it, please say a prayer for me as I am very concerned that I might go into a "blue funk" after he graduates, especially Monday morning when all of the hoopla is really over. I guess I just know myself too well and I tend to get sad when big events are over. I feel bad asking for prayer when there are so many people out there with very real problems and issues, but I really do not want to get all sad and teary. I cried a little yesterday and today just remembering when Grayson was a little boy and my mind is flooding with wonderful memories of when all my boys were young. I don't want to get down! This is a very big moment for Grayson and I want to celebrate it with him and be joyful! I am hoping that I can just soak it all in and remember all the good times and just be happy and move on. I sincerely hope that all of you have awesome weekends!

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Hugs, Sharon

13 comments:

Lori said...

Sharon;
I will be thinking of you this weekend. Congratulations to Grayson. He is so blessed to have you and Eric for his parents. You are a great mom and an example to others.

Lori

luvmy4sons said...

Congrautlations to all. And a special hug to you...I know it is full of lots of emotions!

Heather said...

aww, I will keep you in my prayers this weekend and next week. It's so exciting though! I can't wait to hear all about it and see all the pictures!

Brittany said...

We had a baccalaureate at our school and it was such a fun time. Alisha and I led worship for it. You're right, it's so neat to be worshipping God with many people that you went to school with! God is good! I'm glad they still have Baccalaureates.

I'll keep you in my prayers...(I'm checking this at work....oops) :) Everything will be ok and it's so good for you guys that Grayson will be staying at home for a few more years! :)

I'm so excited about tonight! Give me a call if there's anything you need before the graduation!

Love you!

D'Rae said...

Don't feel bad! I will be praying for you. Graduation is a special time. Hope you have fun and post when you can...

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, I am so sentimental, so I totallytotally understand. Life is full of seasons and it is very hard to embrace some of them! Of course you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Congratulations to Grayson!
xo rachel

Sherry said...

Sharon...I will keep you in my prayers because I understand...I too was born to be a mom. It is what we do! We love every aspect of our child's life and when we cross a bridge that tends to lead them on their own path it is always with both joy and sadness. I cross every milestone with the same feelings so very very proud, but also my heart tears into...I am one of those moms that would go back to the birth of each child and do it all over again...not to change anything but just to do it again. Prayers and Hugs from one momma to another!

Randi Jo :) said...

I will definitely pray. I can't iamgine what a mess I will be when Raymond graduates. I get sad thinking of sending him to school at all!!! I can't even imagine!!!

best wishes

Dana said...

I was in Brooks when that storm hit, it was the craziest storm I had ever seen

Kathi said...

Sharon, What a wonderful service. I'm so glad you got to hold it at a church and worship together and even give out Bibles!!! Wonderful. I love small town USA. We can still do things like this.

I will pray you don't get down. I got my first feelings of "empty nest" syndrom yesterday. I think it is going to hit me hard.

Also, Harrison got in a fender bender this morning. He and Victoria are fine, but shaken. The car won't run:( They will be driving my "Pearl" and she is so old, she's going through the change and getting hot flashes, poor thing. I hope she won't get upset and nervous at the different music played in her and the fact that a teen is driving her.

Love you, Kathi

Kelly said...

Congratulations to your Grayson and the whole family, Sharon!! How exciting!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

I wish I would have seen your post earlier this morning when I was working and had to transcribe that word!! I spelled it wrong!!! I hope the managers don't catch on when checking my transcript!!

Anyway, I feel your pain about your son graduating! Really, I do. My little boy is heading into junior high and I'm so sad about it. He's also on his first camping trip and I'm miserable without him!!

Can't believe the rain!!! Glad you were able to get home okay!! Enjoy the next few days!! You worked hard to get your son to where he is!!

Willa said...

What a wonderful time in your lives. This is all so exciting to see another one of your sons graduate high school. Congratulations. God is so good.

I will pray for you for afterwards. I know how this can affect us moms. Our 3 sons have been out of high school 14, 12 and 9 years. It is such a blessed time to see everything in their lives come to fruition.

Times have been pretty tough here -
my husband has been in the hospital - but has been out for several weeks now and doing so much better. I have been going through alot personally in my emotions - its that time of life. lol. But I have gotten so much closer to the Lord and that is a blessing. Count it all good ...

I just know the Lord is going to bring us both through every hard thing so that we will have a testimony to tell other mothers and ladies.

Willa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...