Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day Camping!

As you know, our whole family went camping over the Memorial Day weekend. This was so exciting and fun for us because we had not been camping for two years!!! We went to a beautiful lake in Eastern Oregon called Crescent Lake. It is such a beautiful, peaceful place. I took way too many pictures, so this will be part one of two posts about our trip. I wanted to first start by showing you our little home away from home! This is the inside of our camper. We have had it for 12 years and it has been a wonderful investment. I love my cozy little (and I mean little) kitchen!
We have everything we need, it is just all on a really small scale!
When we first got the camper the boys were so young and we all actually slept in here! Eric and I slept up in the bed that is above the truck cab. There is a little nook on my side of the bed, so we put a little cushion there and Hayden slept up by us. We took out the table and set it in the shower in the bathroom and the table bench seat opens up into a little bed that held both Cameron and Grayson. The cabinets above the table fold out into a bunk bed, which Mackenzie slept in. We were all so cozy and comfy!
I was so thankful and excited about the blessing of this camper. Before we got the camper we always camped in a tent. I remember several camp trips where I had to change diapers and make warm bottles in the middle of the night in a tent! I have paid my dues and I am so grateful to have a camper! I found this darling "God Bless Our Camper" plate at Goodwill. Isn't it perfect! I couldn't believe it when I found it. I have it sitting next to a vintage set of turquoise salt and pepper shakers.
I also have an assortment of vintage camping books in the camper.
Aren't they cute! I especially love the "Good morning, Lord" devotional book for campers.
It is really fun to look through these old camping and traveling books from the 50s.
Okay now that we have done the grand tour, it's time to show you pictures of our actual camping trip! Here's Cameron and his friend Jef playing a card game. You can see our Dog Bailey next to them and Grayson is in the background setting up his tent. Isn't this a pretty camp site? The lake is just on the other side of those trees!
Here's Grayson doing a very traditional camping activity - whittling.
Hayden's starting a whittling project too. It looks like he has a big job ahead of him!
Look at the beautiful sunset! This lake is so awe-inspiring gorgeous!
Sitting around the campfire is the best time of camping!
Such great memories are made around the fire!
The next morning I had some alone time with the Lord. This is one of my favorite things to do! I had my chair, my books and my coffee! With this beautiful scenery, that's all I needed to feel blissful!
Do you like my bird's egg blue vintage mug? This is day two and my hair is still holding up, but I'm not so sure for how long!
Cute Cameron holding cute Bailey!
Eric cooking up our dinner. Tonight on the menu we have bbq pork steak and SUPER FRESH Kokanee (landlocked Salmon)! Yes, we ate fresh fish that Eric, Cameron and Jef had caught just minutes before!
It was so delicious!
What a scrumptious meal! Pork steak, Kokanee, rice and of course beans!
They're all heading for seconds!
Time to do the dishes!
What's a camp trip without smores???? Yummy!
This is how I prefer my marshmallows........... just a tiny bit of delicious roasted brown goodness......mmmm perfection!
However, there are folks out there who prefer them to look like this!!!
Time for breakfast. I finally remembered to get out my darling blue and white checked tablecloth that my dear sister, Kathi, made me. Isn't it so cute! It has pictures of picnic food all over it and I absolutely love it. Notice the vintage turquoise plastic dishware and the cute Smokey the Bear coffee mug! My theme colors in the camper are turquoise and red with touches of yellow.
On Sunday morning Eric's parents, Jim and Alice, came up to camp. Here they are standing with Cameron. They are so cute and sweet. Alice brought up donuts and a beautiful pasta salad. I felt bad though because right after this picture was taken Alice started to not feel good. She has been having a very hard time with her health lately and her balance was off. Can I ask you to please pray for her? This illness has really hit her hard and is getting her down. I am so happy that they were able to come up and spend time with us while we were camping.
Cameron and Jef had to leave because Jef had to work Sunday afternoon and Cameron had to work Monday. So, we waved goodbye to them.
Alice laid down for a nap and the men went fishing. I stayed at camp and peeled potatoes for my potato salad. It's day three and I've resorted to wearing a hat. I guess I better try and wash my hair if I'm going to be here one more day! Tune in tomorrow to see the rest of our camping adventures! What a blessing it is to spend time with family out in God's beautiful nature!

"The mountains shall bring peace to the people." Psalm 72:3

Hugs, Sharon

29 comments:

Sherry said...

How fun. We have a house at a lake near us and it is fun...a good investment, because like everything we do it was a fixer upper, but I MISS camping. (not meaning to sound ungrateful because I am)BUT... I love to camp, fix food outside and sit around. I am so thankful you have these memories. My family lost my fil and my mother was diagnosed with cancer two weeks after my fil and it is very difficult. Alice is in my prayers...after so many years of marriage the "other" parents become ours!

Anonymous said...

Your camper is so cute.

Erin

oatbread said...

That looks like a great time , and I love the fact that you decorate your camper. Pretty good size kokanee too , Eric loves to cook.It is great that everyone can go together. I love your red step stool too , I remember my Grandma having one too. Donna

Kathi said...

Sharon, Your trip is unbelievably fun and wholesome. All your cute vintage things are adorable. I felt like I was right there with you. I wish we went camping. Love you so much. Kathi

Mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Oh my, what fun you had camping! I miss doing that so much. Such special times you're having & creating wonderful memories w/your family. :o) Your camper is so cute. It's dolled up in the tasteful *Sharon style!* Love it!
And making potato salad while camping?! Wow, I have a hard enough time making it when I'm home (only because it's so time consuming.)

I'll continue to pray for dear Alice.

Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Mardell

PS: You still look cute even for not washing your hair for 3 days! LOL :o)

Sharon said...

Thank you Erin! It is so fun and the funny part is, everytime I go in there it has a certain smell and it just makes me happy!

Have a great weekend!
Sharon

Sharon said...

Hi Donna,

The fish were pretty big. I am not a fisher-woman, I just don't care for it,I think I'm not patient enough, but my hubby fishes enough for both of us and I do enjoy eating it!

Hugs, Sharon

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell,

We did have such a great time. Actually making the potato salad wasn't bad at all, just boil a bunch of eggs and peel and boil potatoes and then mash them up together with mayo. Thank you for your prayers for Alice.

God bless you! Sharon

jAne said...

Oh boy, you're a glamper (glamour camper) too! :o) Love your camper, Sharon. It makes things so much easier, doesn't it? And it really is a little home away from home. That's how we feel about our trailer.

l.o.v.e. the plate. You find the most amazing things when out thrifting. l.o.v.e. the books too, and the salt shakers, and the cute lil kitchen and the wonderful family togetherness and closeness that so obviously envelopes your family. The best. :o)

jAne at tickleberryfarm.blogspot.com

Jocelyn said...

That rerminds me of our old camper. We are definitly getting a camper THIS YEAR, we love camping !

And the vintage books, plates and dishes ! love it !

Linda said...

Oh, this is a beautiful spot...my hubby would call this paradise and I agree. Love your cozy camper. Beautiful catch and I agree you must have smores. hugs, Linda

The Vintage Housewife... said...

howdy kitten it is very very nice to meet and greet ya...adorable camper and ooooh you looked like you had a wonderful family adventure...i love your vintage camping books and those adorable shakers...your red to die for find on that stool....ooooooh envy! ekkkk and your adorable family...seniors...ahhhh what a time in your life...a proud mamma! i enjoyed your blog so much it felt like we could be camping buddies...hee hee...many blessings for a wonderful day... i am so honored that you swing by my place...cat

Brittany said...

We had such a fun time with you guys! I'm glad Alice and Jim got to come up as well, even though she wasn't feeling great.

Sorry I never got back to you about Cameron's party...yes we will be there. My computer has been having problems and it's been hard for me to get back to people. I would suggest you just give me a call to get to me sooner! :) Love you! Hope you're having a great week.

A Romantic Porch said...

How fun. I always thought it would be neat to have a camper to camp in. We hardly ever go camping! I think it is neat that you have a great place and great fun! xorachel

Sharon said...

Hi Sharon :)

I just found your blog and look forward to spending more time here. It looks like you and your family had a wonderful time! How fun! It is so nice to see family together enjoying themselves. The camper is adorable and I love the vintage camping manuels, great touch :)


Have a blessed day!

~Sharon

Oh I just have to share when I was a little girl my Father planted Rose of Sharons in our yard for me :)

Julieann said...

Oh, how fun. All the pictures are just awesome, and your camper is beautiful. You are adorable in a hat:)

Happy Friday.

Maggi said...

What a neato trip! I'm dying to go camping again and hopefully will have my own cutie trailer one day! Love your vintage books!! Have a great weekend!

Rosemary said...

love the vintage books and the smokey the bear mug :)

Rosemary said...

sharon has alice been checked for a inner ear infection? that can make you super dizzy and off balance.

Heather said...

how fun! i've never been camping. the closest thing to camping i've ever been is staying in a hotel, lol! my family just never did the camping thing. my husband loves to camp and i know he's dying to take ella camping when she gets a little older. i told him i'd be at the nearest hotel :)

Lady Farmer said...

Camping is one of my favorite things to do! We have camped in tents, campers and tent trailers. I love them all but gettin' a little too old now for the tent stuff! I can get down but it is getting so hard to get back up! I think camping is the perfect family way to vacation. Looks like you are all having a marvelous time.
I like my marshmallows just like yours!
:~P

Elena said...

What a beautiful campsite and it looks like you had loads of fun!

nannykim said...

We have always loved camping, but a camper is a nice way to do it!! I envy the salmon--man , that looked great!!

The scenes were beautiful!There is nothing like being at a campsite with family. I just prayed for Alice...Blessings.

Lorri said...

Just love your blog. Stumbled across it today. I will be checking in again.
Lorri

Donna Lynn said...

Hi Sharon,
I am so happy that your doing well, looks like you had a wonderful time camping with your family. We just stayed home and enjoyed all this amazing PNW sunny weather, what a blessing after the cold wet spring we had last year huh?

Have a great weekend,
Donna Lynn

Amy said...

I thought of you all week! I forgot to get back with you on when and if we could meet up. We went to Oregon and then up to the San Juan Islands. I am in the process of posting pictures. I am sure you will recognize many of them. I also thought of you yesteday. I went to a Goodwill Outlet store. I had fun there! I heard about those from your blog. Thanks! :)

Angie said...

I've never been camping before, so thanks for letting me camp vicariously through you.

Sharon said...

Hi Lorri! Thanks for stumbling in! I hope you'll come back! Do you have a blog? If so, I'd love to visit you!

Hugs, Sharon

Kelly said...

What a cute camper, Sharon! Ed and I both love camping, and my family used to go frequently when I was young...'til the camper caught on fire. Oh, the memories, LOL!

You are too cute in all of those pictures, and I want to come through the screen and eat that food! Smores, YUM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...