Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Let there be light.......

Hayden came down stairs with this in his hand. I said, "What ya got there?" and he said, "It's a lamp for my room that I made." It was his new invention. He turned an old fish food container into a lamp! He was cleaning out his drawers and found this old stuff and got the idea to make a little lamp!
Pretty inventive I say! He drilled a little hole and inserted a switch and then rigged up a battery, wires and a light bulb to make a little lamp! Never a dull moment around this house! :0)
This warms and tickles my heart. I love it when my boys spend time making things like this. What cracks me up is the container he chose. He's a man alright, he didn't care, he just grabbed the nearest thing. I love it though! The whole fish theme just works well for his room and is adorable.
For you young mothers out there with boys. I really encourage you to buy them old radios and small battery operated appliances that they can take apart (like those little sweater lint ball removers). One summer day when we went thrifting I bought all the boys a small battery motorized item and all four of them sat at the kitchen counter and gently took them apart. Then they would reconnect the wires to get a mini fan or a light bulb to work. They would spend hours on these projects. However, remember SAFETY FIRST! They were never allowed to try and plug anything into the wall and you should not use anything more than a "C" size battery for these experiments. Look in the free boxes at garage sales where there might be a small broken toy that has a motor in it or a small kitchen battery operated appliance like a hand-held mini blender, these are excellent things for them to take a part. I think it makes them feel masculine too to be like Dad and work with tools.

I know that by doing this it opened a whole world of electronics, invention and creativity to my sons, not to mention their sense of confidence and self esteem!

"Do you see a man skillful in his work? He will stand before kings." Proverbs 22:29a

Fondly, Sharon

19 comments:

Monica said...

Great idea Sharon!I'll have to get my son into doing things like this over the summer,I know he'll enjoy it!Thanks,have a blessed day!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Wow! I have never thought to do this for my son. Will have to look into getting him some old radio he can tinker with!

Dana said...

Thats so neat!! My son is always making weapons:(

Connie said...

How innovative and CUTE, honey!!
xoxo,
Connie

Kathi said...

How cool and so cute that he chose the fish food container. I love it. Your boys are so inventive and I know it's a lot to do with you getting them those old motors.

I got your card in the mail. Thank you so much!!!! I love your sweet note and can't wait for those adorable movies. You are so sweet. Love you so much. Kathi

Amy said...

I will do that! I remember my brothers would always rewire things and would sit with it for hours inventing something else. I will put this idea away when they are a bit older. Thanks so much for the tip and advice.

Jocelyn said...

I never thought about doing something like that! What a great idea!

I'm off to Walmart to buy a bathing suit !!! lol

grey like snuffie said...

Brilliance....I love how some brains can just look around and put things together.

Linda said...

That is so cool! hugs, Linda

jAne said...

***buy them old radios and small battery operated appliances that they can take apart***

A resounding YES coming from this little corner of the blogosphere!!!!!

Raising boys to be men..whodathunkit?! Love that you encourage your boys to be manly, Sharon. Our young ladies need this. :o)

Heather said...

very cool! boys are so good at making things!

linda said...

Very inventive! You just may have an Engineer in the making!

Tanza said...

Hi Sharon,
Beautiful boys you have I must say.. They always are thinking of something to create... Believe me, I have two of my own, and am never short of stories and antics they have been up to or into..Never a dull moment in a home. Girlies are so different, and boy don't we create in different ways.. hahaha.. You are truly blessed my friend.. Have a wonderful evening.. hugs ~tea~

My Grandkids ROCK said...

Hi Sharon,
You know, your blog always makes me smile. I love the funny things that your boys do. They are not just adorable, they are talented and funny too. I think that light that he made is stinking cute. Pam

Beautiful Pear Tree Lane said...

Hi Sharon,
Hayden is some inventor,We had one of those inventive guys in our house ,

Looking on your last post , congratulation to Grayson for becoming prom king. He and Rachelle are a lovely couple.I know you and your husband are so proud of your sons. Thank you or sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

mardell said...

Sharon ~ your boys are so cool! I love their creativity.

Have a great day!
Hugs,
Mardell :o)

Debra said...

How clever of him and I love the fish food container that he chose. This is a priceless memory for you!!!

Brittany said...

All of the boys are such great inventors! It amazes me what they come up with! I'm so blessed to have married one! :) Love you!

Sunflower Farm said...

That is so funny! I love it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...