Friday, April 3, 2009

From rags to riches.........

Do you guys remember when I told you about my new fun Lucy jammies that I got? Click here to read about them. Any way, after I got my new PJs and robes for Christmas, I decided to get rid of my old bathrobe, lovingly referred to as "Big Red". I was going to toss it in the garbage, but then I realized, hey this thing is made out of terrycloth and would make great rags for cleaning! We are a very project oriented family and it seems like we are always needing rags for painting, using stain, cleaning motors, etc. so we really do go through them quickly.
So I got my scissors out and got busy cutting the robe completely apart.
This was all that remained by the time I was finished!
Here's my stack of new rags. Pretty good deal huh? I made a huge mistake though. I washed the rags after I cut them and they all frayed and got all tangled up together and made a huge mess with all the lint. It didn't take too long to clean it all up though and it really is nice to have all these rags.
It's funny though how doing one little project will lead to another. After I cut, cleaned and folded all the new rags, I was putting them away in these baskets in my laundry room cabinet and I noticed how messy my cupboard was, so I decided to reorganize it.
I didn't take a "before" picture so I don't have one to show you, but here's an "after" shot. Believe me when I tell you though that this cabinet was a horrible mess! There were things everywhere and I found all kinds of things in there that shouldn't have been!
On the top shelf I have my Christmas dishes and the middle shelf holds my Christmas wine glasses as well as paper napkins and paper plates.
On the bottom shelf I have the bins of rags, my little utensil caddy and boxes of paper cups and plastic utensils. It feels so good to get things organized!
Now I will move on to the next cabinet over, the one that houses laundry soap, light bulbs and general cleaning supplies. Yuck! How does it get so disorganized? Inside the laundry room cabinet I have this funny picture that I found in a magazine a long time ago. Isn't it funny! This is how I felt many a day with my four busy boys and my active, outdoorsy husband! Thankfully, it is not quite that bad anymore!
After I tackle that cabinet, I will move onto this one. This cabinet is in the utility room as well and it houses all my candles, candle holders and vases. It doesn't look too bad, mainly it's the bottom shelf that's crazy. I really have too much of this stuff and I would like to par it down and move all this stuff somewhere else; I could really use this space to hold extra food items since I don't have a pantry.

Well, that's all for today. I will keep you posted on my progress on the cabinets. Not a whole lot going on this weekend; our son, Grayson, is on a school field trip for his physics class. They left last night and took the train down to California to go to San Francisco and then to Six Flags amusement park. He was so excited! He'll be back on Sunday. Cameron is working and will be going to the college group at chuch this evening. Hayden has his first job interview tomorrow!!! We are so proud of him and so excited too! He is interviewing at the gas station where Grayson works and Cameron used to work. I pray that he'll get the job. Saturday night Eric and I are hosting a big salmon dinner for his co-workers here at our home. We will have three couples coming and it should be a great evening. I am headed to the grocery store now and will start organizing my dishes for the dinner and start cleaning the house. Sunday we will be going to church and then picking up Grayson at the train depot. I am hoping that the kids will all be here for dinner and movie on Sunday night.

I hope that all of you will have really relaxing weekends!


"Oh listen, dear child—become wise; point your life in the right direction. Don't drink too much wine and get drunk; don't eat too much food and get fat. Drunks and gluttons will end up on skid row, in a stupor and dressed in rags." Proverbs 23:19-21

Hugs, Sharon
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...