Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Valentine's Day Decor.........

I know Valentine's day is over, but I wanted to share with you some of my decorations from the holiday of love! As you know, we had our Victorian tea this past weekend, so I purposely left up all my Valentine's decorations for the tea. Here is the fireplace mantle in the living room. I think it turned out so pretty!
I have the candelabra up year round, so I simply added a garland of ivy, twinkle lights and tucked in a few red and white silk roses. I also had ropes of white pearls and red and white beads (old Christmas garland) that I laid casually over the whole thing. I also combined some heart shaped lights, which I think added the perfect touch. I think it turned out very romantic looking!
Here's the entryway table. I have a few heart-shaped things sitting here.
I found these adorable card shaped chocolate squares at the grocery store and couldn't resist them! You can see my new reproduction heart-shaped candy box sitting in the background. I found that at Goodwill a few weeks ago.
In the living room I just had a few heart-shaped pillows laying here and there on the couch and chairs and I simply set these really cool heavy heart-shaped reproduction mercury Christmas ornaments on the coffee table along with a very heavy ruby glass votive holder.
On the buffet in the dining room I put a red and white wire card holder in the center and loaded it down with vintage children's valentine cards. I also have a couple of heart-shaped glass candy dishes with Valentine candies in them.
This is my windowsill display this year. I have several vintage things mixed with reproduction things. It just cheers me up every time I am at my kitchen sink to look up and see these delightful decorations!
Here's my little bookshelf in the kitchen. I have more vintage and reproduction Valentine's decorations all grouped together. I love to tuck in candles with my displays, it seems to add life to them when they are lit, especially at night.
Here's a close up of some of my decorations. One trick I use is you do not have to strictly use items from the holiday you are decorating for. If it is the right color and has the same feel you are trying to portray, just tuck it in there!
Do you see the little cupcake on the end? That is an old Avon perfume bottle that Hayden picked out when he was about 4 years old at one of our many Goodwill shopping trips. When the boys were little they used to collect the interesting Avon perfume bottles (cars, trucks, guns, boats, etc.) and this was one that he had picked for his collection. For a long time it was on his shelf in his room and when he grew tired of it, I just couldn't part with it, so I add it to my Valentine's display. I also added the cute little Miss Doggy in her cute pink dress and the little nest with the cardinals snuggling together.
To me they fit perfectly in my display not only because they are red, but because they look like they are in love! :0)
I like to have dishes that represent the holiday/season laying around with seasonal candy in them. It just perks things up and makes it fun. The candy doesn't last too long around here though with all these boys!!!
I like to have little touches of red, white and hearts tucked into the little corners of my home.
This little display is on the left side of my kitchen sink. I just purchased the heart-shaped vase with the cherub on the front last week. I found it at a thrift store for $1.99. It was love at first sight! The framed picture was something I threw together using a faux ruby encrusted picture frame from the Dollar Tree and printing a vintage postcard off the internet to put inside.
More little touches. More little heart-shaped dishes with candy. Mmmmm......want some???
Here's a simple idea, just place two wooden hearts next to each other and tuck in a vintage valentine, voila, you're done!
On the computer desk I put my Valentine shadow box that I made a few years ago next to a vintage Valentine collage that I made. I still need to find the perfect place for my collage, but for now it will sit here. Both of these projects were so much fun and very easy!
Last buy not least is the Valentine rag swag that I made years ago. It is a piece of jute string with torn fabric in aproximately 1" x 7" strips tied on. They you add all kinds of fun Valentine related items. I have old perfume bottles, heart shapped things made from fabric, metal, glass, plastic, etc. I also have a few reproduction post cards. It is a very fun project. I made one for 4th of July, Fall and a kitchen swag with antique kitchen gagets hanging on it.

Well, the tour is over. I hope you enjoyed it! I am taking all of these decorations down today. I will wait to put up Easter decorations until the end of March as Easter is on April 12th this year. I do have a few little decorations for St. Patrick's day that I will probably just put up a few days before. So for now it will just be my regular decor.

Hope you have an awesome day!

"May the Lord be loyal to you in return and reward you with His unfailing love." II Samuel 2:6

Love & Hugs, Sharon

P.S. Yesterday I forgot to mention that my sister, Kathi, took most of the pictures at the tea for Brittany and I as we were so busy with everything. I would like to give Kathi a very special thankyou! I really, really appreciate you documenting this day with such beautiful photos as well as being so prompt to email them to me that night! You're a doll!

P.S.S. Lady Jane, I have been leaving you messages on my blog, but I don't think you have seen them. I cannot get into your blog. I have tried several times. Please let me know what I need to do to get in! :0)

25 comments:

Thankful Paul said...

Hello! :)

LillySue said...

Hi Sharon-
L*O*V*E the tour! So many good ideas. Don't you just love Goodwill!! I have some vintage valentines and will have to look for a sweet photo/card holder to display them in too. Your glass jar kitchen canisters are awesome! I have a strange addiction to canisters/jars. I just can't pass them up. Your mantle is beautiful....I can't wait to see you place all fixed up for Easter!
Blessings- LillySue

TattingChic said...

Oh, I LOVE all your Valentine's goodies! I have those same red heart lights! I had them up in my patio window. I have some red votive holders that my secret valentine gift giver at work gave me this year...looks just like yours.
I love all your decor. Thanks for sharing. I love decorating for holidays, too! :)

grey like snuffie said...

You have so much fun decorating for holidays...love the swag!

lady jane said...

**love** the candelabra on the coffee table. very pretty! and the vintage mixer and bowls. and the bread box. swoon! :o)

I'll reinvite you to my blog but you might want to file away my email address just in case, too. :o)

ladyjanesjournal at g mail dot com

thank you for the Valentine's tour!

blessings,
jAne

Elena said...

Your decorations are so pretty! Loved the candles and decorations on the mantle. Just beautiful!

Amy said...

I LOVE your decorations. Your mantle is so romantic!

I love the swag too! I will have to copy that idea if that's okay with you.

Rosemary said...

The way you decorate reminds me so much of my friend karens home. I love the vintage glass jars you have everything in! I have lots of glass canisters on my counter, but no jars. I need to look for some :)

Lille meg said...

Beautiful pictures, and it seems to have been a wonderful day.
Very nice!

gin said...

It all looks great. I think I liked the mantle best. I do my mantle for all the holidays too. I just like that focal point of a mantle that your eyes just automatically go to. Have a nice day!!

~~Deby said...

I always enjoy seeing these kinds of pictures on your blog..all the little touches that you have a flair for....so inspiring, Sharon...thank you for the sweet tour.
Deby

luvmy4sons said...

Thanks for the tour! Your house is always so lovely!

linda said...

Loved the tour. Such cute ideas! Love the swags - now you have me thinking.....I need several of those! Love the old mixer, too.

Heather said...

wow you sure do go all out for Valentine's Day! Love all the decorations. I think the fireplace mantle is my favorite. Very pretty.

Sweet Nothings said...

You always put so much work and effort into making your house look special for each holiday...it turns out beautiful each time!

Love you!

Happy @ Home said...

I thoroughly enjoyed that tour. All of your Valentine's decorations look great and I especially love the vintage ones. Also I thought the chocolates shaped like cards were too cool.

Beautiful Pear Tree Lane said...

Fantastic tour, Sharon, There is such a feeling of love in your home,believe me you can tell!!!I know everyone who comes feels it too.Thats what i want people to feel and say about my home!!! Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

Sherry said...

Very pretty! (as usual) Looks like everyone had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sharon,
I just love all of your Valentine goodies! And the party you had for the ladies looked great. They must feel so blessed to have you in their lives. Just a comment about your comment to Connie. I'm so sorry you have lost some of your passion. One would never know by looking at your blog. Everything is so beautifully done! You are right about a ministy to God. That is a very important part about your site. I do hope you get your passion back. You really seem to have a "calling" to embrace God and bring that into your everyday blogging. I know I speak for many when I say how much I appreciate what you bring to the blogging world. Take care and know your blogging is really meaningful to many! And please don't let that mean comment get you down. That person sounds pretty sad.

Sincerely,

Darlene from Calif.

Ashley @ Domestic Fashionista said...

So cute! I love valentine's day!!! I love your garland and you have so many fun vintage pieces. Vintage vday is adorable and by far my fav vintage decor! Sooo adorable Sharon! The pops of red are adorable!

Desari Elise said...

Everything about your home decor is breathtaking, Sharon.

I loved being there on Saturday. I felt like I could relax and feel comfortable and cozy. What a nice stress reliever it was for me to just be in that atmosphere!

Hope this comment finds you doing well. I'll hopefully see/talk with you more soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Sharon everything looks so pretty! Thank you so much
for sharing! And I agree with Brittany you put so much work and thought into
your decor for each holiday. My favorite is your mantle how you added just the right touch!
Cant wait to see your
St Patricks and Easter
decorations!
Gods Blessings!
Pamela in OH

Mrs.Ruiz said...

Sharon you amaze me! Your decorations are so festive and pretty. I never even thought to decorate for valentines:)

nannykim said...

Red makes me happy!! Oh I noticed a tea cup wreath in the background of one of your photos--LOVE THAT!

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

You are AMAZING Sharon! I love how you transform your house for each special occasion! I sure hope all the men in your family appreciate your lovely, feminine touches!!! I sure do!

Hugs from Michigan - Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...