Monday, February 23, 2009

This is what we've been up to........

My new daughter-in-law, Brittany, and I had a tea party this weekend! We had such a delightful time! We had 23 wonderful women come as our guests! We started talking about this and planning it back in January. Here is our invitation. We bought three different patterns of the same card. I found them at Target in their little dollar area. What a bargain! Our theme was Valentine's day and Love.
They were just plain inside so we typed up what we wanted to say on the computer and printed it on card stock.
Then we cut them and glued them in the note card with a glue stick.
We put really cute heart and love stickers all over them (this is a little trick I learned from my sister Kathi; she always puts stickers all over her letters and when you receive them in the mail it is so exciting and fun!). We drew up our guest list and we purposely over invited anticipating that there would be certain percent that would not be able to come. We invited about 33 women and 23 were able to make it.
I was so excited when I went to the post office and they had these darling heart stamps! Isn't it silly the things that make us girls excited sometimes!!!
I mailed them out three weeks before the event so the ladies had plenty of time to reserve their calenders. All the ladies that came did RSVP and most of the ones who could not make it also RSVPd, but there were a few that didn't. It is so helpful when people do respond one way or the other so you can plan your food better. It all worked out so great. I will share pictures tomorrow of the actual tea.
Brittany and Mackenzie spent the night with us on Friday night. My husband, Mackenzie and our son Hayden all got up at 4:00 AM to go fishing all day. Brittany and I did not get up that early! I woke up at 7:00 am and she woke up at about 7:45. We had coffee and read the Bible together and figured out our strategy. The tea started at 2:00 pm, so we made out our timeline and we wanted to be completely done with everything but lighting the candles by 1:30 pm.
There was lots of work to be done! She did most of the food preparation (above is a picture of her making cream cheese pineapple sandwiches) while I was cleaning the house, loading the candles and finishing the decorating. We did really well with getting everything done, except we were slightly off on our time management. We had some guests arrive 12 minutes early and I wasn't even dressed! But you know what.....it all worked out! Brittany was dressed, so she answered the door while I threw on my dress and she continued to light the candles while they sat and visited.
Here I am next to the food, we were almost done at this point except I wasn't dressed yet and was on my hands and knees washing the floor when there was a knock at the door! I ran, I mean really ran, to my bedroom to throw on my dress while Brittany entertained the guests. It all worked out fine and I was ready when the rest of the guests arrived. It all turned out just beautifully!

After the party we sat and relived all the wonderful moments and we both concluded that we are so blessed to know so many wonderful women!

Hope you had a great weekend and that you'll have a great Monday!

"Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling." I Peter 4:9

Love, Sharon

28 comments:

Sharon said...

Special note to Lady Jane........I cannot open your blog! I have tried many times. Do you know what I should do?

Thank you so much!
Sharon

Connie said...

What a tea-lightful time you must have had, honey. I may do this someday soon for the ladies at our church, chick, because it looks like a wonderful time.
xoxo,
Connie

Heather said...

I'm so jealous! Your party is right up my alley, lol. I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures. I hope you will be posting some recipes from the yummy food that you two made???

Happy @ Home said...

How nice that you and Brittany could participate in the planning and preparations for this tea together. The food all looks so good. I am glad she was dressed and able to answer the door. It's not a good feeling when the doorbell rings and you aren't dressed yet. Been there - done that!! But, it sounds like it all worked out perfectly.

Connie said...

I admire your hospitality. Putting on these kinds of gatherings makes me break out in hives. (okay, not seriously, but I do not enjoy hosting gatherings.)I have people in my home all the time (one on one basis while I do their hair), so I guess I am hospitable in a sense.
What a wonderful mother in law you are!

Mrs.Ruiz said...

I wish my mom in law was closer to do fun things like that:)

~~Deby said...

Everything looks beautiful--what sweet invitations...I am sure this is a memory you will treasure.
Deby

Jan Parrish said...

What a fabulous idea and great bonding time!

mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
Wow, what a great tea party! Can you believe I've never been to one? The little invitations were darling. I love stickers too, & am quite addicted to them. Yes, isn't if funny how something so little can mean so much to us ladies? :o)

The food looked wonderful & so did you & Brittany. So glad everyone had a great time.

Did the guys catch any fish?! Hope so! Have you ever had perch or walleye? YUM!

Hugs,
Mardell

luvmy4sons said...

You have such a creative and gnerous spirit...always hosting events and creating lovely dishes and occasins and environments. I am sure your children rise and call you blessed. And I bet your daughter in law thinks you are the best! What fun! Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas!

linda said...

How nice of you to open up your beautiful home for a Valentine's tea. I bet everyone had a wonderful time. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear all about the menu.

Ashley @ Domestic Fashionista said...

How fun! I bet is is such a blessing to now have a daughter to do all these fun girly things with. :)

shamrock fields said...

Dear Sharon,
Looks like so much fun!!! I love tea parties--I haven't been to one in ages! Maybe I'll have one. The pink fluffy stuff in the beautiful bowl looks delightful--is it a dip for the fruit? Take care.
Molly

Amy Ellen said...

Aren't tea parties fun. I have been wanting to have another one for quite awhile now. It just has yet to work out. Maybe a St Patricks day party would work??? Hmmmm Lovely pictures sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Hugs
Amy

LillySue said...

Hi Sharon-
What a lovely day you had! I don't know how many times I have had the house ready, the food ready and me NOT ready, hehee! Thank you for stopping by my blog...it made my day!
Blessings- LillySue

Cottage Contessa said...

Oohhh I wished I lived closer! It sounds like a wonderful time was had by all and I can't wait to see more pictures of this fabulous event! Have a great day sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Linda said...

Love the invitations and I see some yummy food...what is that pretty pink fluff in the gorgeous bowl? I'm looking forward to more pictures. I know everything will be beautiful...hugs, Linda

Anonymous said...

So sweet you and Brittany can read the Bible together and then host a party together. Can't wait to see the rest of the tea party! Lilly

Rosemary said...

oh what fun sharon! I look forward to doing some fun things like this once megan graduates this spring ;)

Ruthie said...

Sounds like such a wonderful tea. So glad you and Brittany could do that together. How organized you are! I'm anxious to see the pix of the tea.
Smiles.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes - a wonderful tea it was (although I had coffee :) Sharon, your home is always so lovely and welcoming. What a treasure you are. Thanks for hosting such a lovely party-and i forgot to tell you how great all of your valentines day vinegar-ettes (LOL) looked. God has blessed me with your friendship.
love, jill
jillsibbald.typepad.com

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sharon,
I love Teatime as well. What a wonderful event to do with your daughter inlaw, and creating precious memories together as well. Thanks for sharing!!

Hugz Lorie

Lille meg said...

How wonderful, Sharon! So much you two has done beforehand! Very good idea! So beautiful invitations!
Lovely! I should have liked to been there! LOL.
I am sure you enjoyed yourselves.
Have a beautiful day today as well!

Barb said...

Sharon, wow!!! The whole affair looks fabulous to me.

Thanks for sharing and making me smile.

Barb

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell,

I can't believe you haven't been to a tea party.....perhaps you should host one yourself??? It was really fun. Yes, the guys had fun fishing and they caught two!!! It was a successful day for all.

Hugs, Sharon

Kathi said...

Sharon, You planned everything so perfectly and it was all so very sweet and pretty. Thank you for all you did for us. We love you, Kathi

Sharon said...

Hi Lily,

Yes, it was indeed special reading the Bible with Brittany that morning. It was such a wonderful day.

:0) Sharon

Sunflower Farm said...

it sounds like it was a lot of fun

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...