Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Long John Silver.......the mall parking lot bird

I went to Target the other day to pick up a few things. My son, Cameron, works there, but he was not working on this particular day. When I was done shopping I went back to my car and spotted this cute little black bird perched upon a cart, which was right next to my car.
I noticed that he didn't seem to be scared of me at all. I was within just a couple of feet of him and he didn't move. I quickly grabbed my camera and snapped a picture of him because I thought he was so cute and fat! Then I noticed that he had only one leg. I snapped a few more pictures and drove away.
The next day Cameron came over and went with Eric and I to our son's basketball games. He started looking through my camera and said, "Why did you take pictures of that bird".

I replied, "I saw him in the Target parking lot and thought he was cute because he was so fat, so I took his picture. I also noticed that he has just one leg."

Cameron said, "Oh, I know which bird that is, I see him all the time. He is so fat because all the birds there live on popcorn. Many of the Target customers either spill their popcorn or leave their leftovers in the carts and the birds eat it. I have always noticed that fat black bird with one leg."
I just thought it was so funny that out of all the hundreds of birds in the mall parking lot that Cameron and I both took note of the same cute, little, fat, one legged bird! We named him Long John Silver after the one legged pirate! The next time I saw Cameron he told me that purposely looks for Long John the one legged bird and he usually can find him. It's just one of those little things in life that can make your day. Also, we are reminded of how God cares for the birds of the air and He cares for us!

“Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? " Matthew 6:25-27

Fondly, Sharon

30 comments:

mardell said...

Sharon,
He is so cuuuuute! I love birds & enjoy feeding them. They sure have been hungry this winter. Thanks for introducing us to "LJS."
:o)

Hugs,
Mardell

luvmy4sons said...

He is a cutie. What a nice story! Hope your brother's situation has improved.

Happy @ Home said...

Great picture of the bird and such a cute name you have given to him.

Farrah said...

That's so funny, Sharon!

Have a great day girl!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Wow, the expression in that last photo is incredible. Great job taking photos.

And good reminder that "His eye is on the sparrow."

Heather said...

He is fat, lol! And definitely cute. great post!

grey like snuffie said...

He is cute...weird that your son can so easily find that one bird. Great scripture to ponder for these days! Hope you have a grand day with Him Sharon!

A Romantic Porch said...

What a great reminder of God's care for us and the fun things in life if we stop and look for them. xo rachel

Joyfull said...

There are several birds that feed on leftovers at our Wal Mart, that was really neat how you and Cameron both noticed Long John Silver!
Thank you for sharing the banana bread recipe, I have some bananas that are perfect sitting in my fruit bowl!

Linda said...

I have such a soft spot for birds and this little fellow is so cute, what a fun name. Normally I would be worrying about him...but I just need to keep in mind this Bible passage..which I rely on often..hugs, Linda

Kathi said...

Sharon, He is soooo cute. I love him. Isn't it something how the thing he probably feels embarassed about is that he is missing a leg, and we think he is adorable. It reminds me of how sometimes our physical faults or flaws make us who we are and people know us by them. They become endearing. Have a great day. I get today off, "Yippee.." I love you. Kathi

JudyBug said...

What a sweet story and what an observant child. I love that he notices the small creatures and their uniqueness.

Thanks for your comment. I drew the plans for my house cause it's my dream house too! I feel very blessed.
JudyBug

Sharon said...

Good morning Mardell! I love birds too, especially in the spring when we start seeing more of them and I hear them chirp early in the morning!

Have a great day!

Sharon

Amy said...

That is so funny and he is so cute and fat!

Brenda said...

That is to cute. He is a pretty bird. Amazing nothing has happened to him.

Beautiful Pear Tree Lane said...

Sharon,
What a sweet little bird!!!. I see that someone else takes their camera with them too. I have just got to name mine since it has become my side kick.lol That close up is priceless!!!! Thank you for sharing,and for following my blog and all of your sweet words of encouragement.
Blessings,
Sue

Brenda said...

Chancey is not back with wife.We have talked and prayed. You know there is always two sides.I will always love her and it is so hard,but I love my son an can't just forget him.She has a bf and he has a gf. I guess now we have the court battle uggg.
April needs to be here. What happened to Kaytlynn that still hasn't went to court happened again and we are just keeping her away and will be in contempt.Kaytlynn has to start counseling here at a college and we have a new lawyer so thing are wild.The job Paul had will be over in a few months and they got a great deal on a home in a small town near .April and Paul will have to travel and visit,but finding a home base here is what was best since all the legal stuff was here.

Anonymous said...

Great blogs I read today Sharon. Keep up the good work. I have never made banana nut bread--or banana bread. It is so good with butter. Don't let that gal bother you--and I see you aren't letting her. She probably is jealous and needs your prayers like you said.

Love, Aunt Helen

Where My Treasure Is said...

awww!! What a cute bird--I'm amazed you were able to take the pics without him flying away! I like the scripture you posted at the bottom--great post!!

linda said...

What a cute story Sharon. The first thing I thought of when you mentioned him being fat was...Target's popcorn!

Tammy said...

Love the birdie!
I'm soooo glad your back. No pressure but I love reading your blog anytime you pop up in my "what do you call it"


love and hugs~Tammy

Judy said...

What a cute story...and the scripture is perfect.

Anonymous said...

God is so good. A reminder to me that yes God takes care of the birds and will take care of me! Carrie P

shamrock fields said...

Dear Sharon,
What a great story, and what an awesome photo you took of the bird. How neat that your son has noticed the same bird!!! I also love the scripture!! You are smart to carry your camera so that you can be ready to capture special moments like this!! Thanks for your sweet comments also! Blessings-
Molly

Mrs.Ruiz said...

What a great story to share:)

Connie said...

what a cute post...hmmm remind me to stay away from Target Popcorn!

Look Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I do believe that it is the simple little things that make your day!
What a lovely meal you had for the basketball team. I am sure they loved it! The pasta salad looked great!
I tried the mayonaise treatment, oh about 30 years ago. I may have to try it again. My hair is very similar to yours. Colored and very fine!
Take care,
denise

Sarah said...

What a lovely little story! That is so neat that you both picked out the same bird and I love his name!
Sarah

nannykim said...

Wow, I didn't know birds could eat popcorn on a regular basis!

Miss Mindy said...

Hello :) I am Pam's daughter (My Grandkids Rock) and my name is Mindy. I just wanted to let you know that, I too, love your blog and read it often. And Long John Silver cracked me up! I had to tell my husband about it too, because he was asking why I was laughing. So then he laughed too and had to tell me his related "gas staiton" bird. ...Yes, it's all about those little things in life that do make your day! And thanks for helping making ours just that much better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...