Friday, February 13, 2009

Don't hold the mayo!

When I was a little girl I had very blond hair, but as I got into my twenties my hair started getting dark and I didn't feel like me, so I decided to get highlights. I would say my natural color is a dirty blond. I have been highlighting my hair for about 25 years. I also have very thin hair and because I color it, it is very damaged. Lately I have noticed it does not have any shine and it looks dull and dry. I have always heard of putting mayonnaise on your hair to make it shiny, but I have never tried, but I finally did. I googled it and found a helpful website called Free Beauty Tips. It's funny because on this website they call it a "cholesterol treatment"!
You simply grab the mayo, a spatula, two towels and saran wrap. Make sure you are wearing a zip front shirt so you won't have to pull your shirt over your mayonnaise covered hair and get it everywhere when you are ready to jump in the shower. Before you start, put the two towels in the dryer so that they get nice and hot.
You just rub the mayo on all over your head.
I made sure it was completely saturated and then I kept massaging it in.
Next you take plastic wrap and wrap it over your head.
I used two pieces to make sure it was all covered. This is to lock your body heat inside to help soak the mayo completely into your hair.
Then you take one of the hot towels and wrap it around your head over the Saran wrap to really cook that mayo in. Now, with my luck.....isn't this about the time the door bell rings and it is a group of my girlfriends that haven't seen me since high school or the Community Auxiliary committee or something??? LOL!!!
Set your timer for ten minutes. Keep the other towel going in your dryer so that it will stay really hot.
After ten minutes take the towel off and take the other towel out of the dryer and wrap it around your head. Set the timer for another ten minutes. After that you simply shower, rinse out the mayo and wash your hair as normal.
I was really happy with the results!
I think it looks thicker and healthier!
And look at that shine! After seeing these results, I would have to say that this myth is confirmed!!!! What a cheap treatment too! I only used about a cup of mayonnaise which probably cost about .50 cents! I highly recommend the mayonnaise in the hair treatment!


Thank you all so much for leaving such supportive comments in regard to the mean comment I received. I really appreciate your encouragement. I was thinking for a few minutes after I had first read it that maybe I should stop blogging because it was just so mean and creepy. To have so many of you go to bat for me just confirmed all the more that I love blogging!


Have a happy weekend!

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy spirit." Romans 15:13

Love, Sharon

26 comments:

grey like snuffie said...

Our kids used to have food fight night during their youth group days. The girls all swore that the oatmeal made their skin SO SMOOTH...they loved food fight night. :) So make a HUGE batch of Creamy Oatmeal, get in the tub, slather yourself up and let it sit for a few minutes and there you have a cheap skin treatment. Hope you have a glorious Valentine weekend!

luvmy4sons said...

You hair looks gorgeous! I don't know if it was the mayo or not but it looks great! I wonder if it works so much on dark brown! I hear beer is also good for your hair but then you smell like brewery! LOL!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Sharon...I remember the mayo trick too....that and that BIG tub of Queen Helene's Cholesterol...remember that??

Too funny!

Blessings,
Robin

mardell said...

Sharon,
Does it say anything in the directions about stopping to take hilareous poses of yourself during the process?! LOL :o) (My little one was asking what I was giggling about!) You must really love us enough to post pics of yourself w/mayo on your head. The one w/your glasses on & your pouty lips just cracked me up! And yes, your hair does look beautiful. I've always liked the way it looks "striped." So pretty. :o)

Have a great Valentine weekend with your family.

Hugs,
Mardell

oatbread said...

somewhere in my noggin is the title of a book about home remedies for recipes for cleaning , household beauty treatments.I will dig it up and let you know the name. we would be surprised at what we already have in the house. Have a good weekend. Donna

lady jane said...

Mayo as a conditioning treatment for hair. I never heard of that before but if your hair is any proof that it works, I just may try it. :o)

Sarah said...

I have heard that several times but have never tried it. Guess it is true and I will have to try it. I have very dry and damaged hair.
Sarah

Kathi said...

Way to go Sharon, and to save so much money!!! Awesome! It does look shiny. I am always amazed at your creativity and willingness to try things. I love you, kathi

oatbread said...

ok here's the website after a little looking.
www.householdsolutions.org
Theres lots of good inexpensive ideas for more tn hair. Donna

Judy said...

I've heard of this before but have never done it. My hair is very fine...does your hair feel thicker? I just might have to try this.
I'm glad your feeling better.
Judy

Connie said...

Go get the email I sent ya, chickee. I know you only check once a week, but you'll wanna read this one TODAY!!!!!!
Smooches,
Conie

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day Sharon!
I thought it was weird if you did not start blogging again! I missed your blog! I am a Christian and think your blog gives hope and helpful tips! People are very cruel these days and we need to all find it in our hearts to be helpful because Lord knows there is plenty of criticism out there and people do not know what each and every person is going through personally! God Bless!
Karyl(Carol)
in Illinois
PS. Your hair looks marvelous and just right for Valentines!

Beautiful Pear Tree Lane said...

Sharon,
Your hair looks great,I love the cheap part ,my hair also gets dull. Thanks for sharing. And it is great to have you back blogging again!!I want to wish you a very HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!
Blessings,
Sue

Cottage Contessa said...

I never knew about mayo in the hair, but wow it does leave the hair looking silky and glossy! Your hair looks gorgeous sweetie! I will have to try this for sure as my hair is very dry from bleaching too. Have a Happy Valentine's!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Denise said...

Your hair looks gorgeous, Sharon! I would also be interested if it helps dark brown hair. Can't get enough of those budget tips these days! :0)

karen said...

Hi Sharon.
My hair is highlighted blonde and
thin also. I'm going to try the mayonnaise. Thanks for the advice.
I love your blog. You're such a down to earth person. Love the photos!
Karen

Gail said...

I have heard of the mayo thing before- but never tried it- but I would say it works - your hair looks great! I think I will have to give this a try-
Have a Happy Valentines Day!

Lori said...

Sharon;
I hope you don't mind it but I have to say your blog has always encouraged me in my faith. You are a blessing to me and I have so many insecurities in blogland because I don't have a "fan" base, I guess I have blog envy. My reasons for blogging were mearly for family connections, and I worry my family really doesn't even stop by to see what I have, but I got so caught up in wanting to be like you, like Kelli or Kathi(your sister). I had to reasses also. I have let my blog just be what it is. Here is a blog hug, please keep up your beautiful blog and the encouragement you give. Blessings, xoxo
Lori

Linda said...

Yay! I'm so happy to see you posting again...I missed you. The day I'm away from my computer you come back...but I'm just happy you are back:).
I've heard of this ..but never tried it. Easy and inexpensive but the results were great. Your hair looks so pretty and great shine...I hope it works for me.
Happy Valentine's Day sweet friend...hugs, Linda

Sweet Nothings said...

I am a witness! I have seen Sharon's hair in person and it works! :) Your hair looks great! I should try it on mine!

Love you!

Mrs.Ruiz said...

I love the colors of your hair

linda said...

Thanks for the tip and cute cute demonstration. I'm gonna give this a try this weekend!

Ruthie said...

Wonder if that would work on my natural curly grey hair???
Your hair looks wonderful.
Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing us this
Mayo technique Sharon. I had heard about using Mayo.
But did not know all the steps involved. There would be protein in the Mayo. Which would strengthen the hair. I was a redhead as a child and of
course now my hair is darker red. So I think
this Mayo would work for
me! My hair is thick and
cut like ours just a little
longer. Your hair looks
very pretty!
Gods Blessings to you.
Pamela in OH

Heather said...

wow, your hair looks great! i think i might try this on my hair!

Jan Parrish said...

LOL. This post is so cute.

My hair is blonde too. I don't highlight it - it's the only part of me that actually tans. So, when it's getting darker, I spend more time in the sun.

Also, if I'm on medication, it shows up in my hair. This is why they have special shampoo for blondes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...