Monday, February 16, 2009

Basketball team dinner

What is my husband busy doing?
He's barbecuing all this chicken for the high school varsity basketball team.
Our son, Grayson, plays on the team and the coach lets all the families of the team players host a dinner at their house for each home game.
And this was our night. We served two of these plates of Eric's barbecued chicken and I made...
..pasta salad...
...jello salad and potato salad. Plus Eric made his famous homemade baked beans, but unfortunately I didn't get a picture of them. The meal was a big success with those hunger teenage boys!
We served several varieties of soda pop as well as orange juice, iced tea and milk. I made a chocolate cake for dessert.
Oh, I almost forgot, we served peperoni sticks as appetizers too. Eric had these made at a butcher shop from a deer he shot this fall. Oh my goodness what tasty peperoni it is and the boys sure loved it!!!
It was so fun having the team over. We had eight varsity players plus the coach.
So many tall boys!!!
They were all such gentlemen. The coach requires that they dress up on game days and they have to wear dress shirts with ties. I love this rule! To me it shows respect and dignity, and gives a sense of tradition.
Here's a picture of Grayson's plate! Can you believe how much this boy can tuck away? They all came over at 3:30 and were gone by 5:00 to go get ready for their game and I am happy to report that they won that night!
The following Wednesday they all came over to our house at 7:15 a.m. to have breakfast! We served pancakes, eggs, sausage and fruit.
Eric decided to go to his job a little late that morning and he helped me make the breakfast. It was a really fun memory. I had to be really organized the day before as I worked and then we went to an away game! I came home on my lunch hour and cleaned the house and laid out all the dishes. The day of the breakfast I got up at 5:00 a.m. and showered and then started cutting up the fruit and making pancakes!
We invited this guy, Matt, to come over and meet the boys and speak with them about basketball. He is the youth pastor at our church and he used to play college basketball. He is 7 feet tall!!!
He gave the boys a little pep talk about basketball and about life.
By the time it was over, all the food was gone except the fruit. For some reason they did not eat a lot of fruit, but all the sausage, pancakes and eggs vanished!
I was really happy that we did both of these events.
It was a lot of work and a little bit of money, but to have the neat memories and to be servants for these kids was really awesome and so worth it. They are all such nice boys and seemed to appreciate everything we did. They have not had a fantastic season, but have done okay at 7 wins, 7 losses and we start the playoffs this week! It has been a very enjoyable season for us watching our son and his friends in their senior year.

Have a great Monday!


"Kind words are like honey - sweet to the taste and good for your health." Proverbs 16:24

Hugs, Sharon

19 comments:

grey like snuffie said...

That is so cool.

rhymeswithplague said...

Two observations:

1. The coach LETS all the families of the team players host a dinner at their house. Riiiiiight!

2. I bet wild horses couldn't have kept you from having these young men over for a meal.

3. (for good measure) I was wondering whether the meal was before or after the game -- you answered that in your post -- and wondered further how they could possibly play basketball after such a meal!!!

gin said...

what a nice way to support the team and show the guys some love!!

SweetAnnee said...

What a great memory..I love it . LOL
the boys didn't eat the fruit..I'd have
eaten that FIRST..

You have such great boys. I know
they bring lots of joy. and you are
GREAT parents.

love ya girl
Deena

Theresa said...

Sharon,
Great job, young people need good,
Christian influences in their lives
today. I have 4 teenage grandchildren and I know how much they need Christians to guide them.
You amaze me with all you can accomplish in one day. Hope you are doing alright since returning to blogging, really enjoy your blog.
God Bless you and your family.

lady jane said...

I was blessed reading through this post. Your son will *never* forget your hospitality and love to his team, Sharon. What a labor of love, a ministry, a way of reaching out, a true memory maker. :o)

Love that your hubby stayed home a bit longer and lended a hand at the breakfast, and that he was the master griller for the chicken legs. The two of you are an excellent example of teamwork.

We were gifted with one child so always made sure (and it continues to the present time) her friends were welcomed *whenever*! There has barely been a supper without extras around the table. Her best friend lives with us part time now and it's so nice. :o)

I'd love to know your recipe for pasta salad. Please? :o)

Farrah said...

Hey Sharon!
I loved your Valentine's day pictures!

I also admire your coach for having the kids wear shirts and ties on game days. Awesome!

Have a great day!

Kathi said...

This is such a wonderful way to serve and bless. What a blessing to have godly mentors too. YOu and Eric are doing such a great job raising your boys. Love you, Kathi

shamrock fields said...

Dear Sharon,
What a sweet post!!! I can't imagine preparing a meal for all of those hungry guys!!! That would require a lot of thought and preparation. I don't know if I will ever be called upon to provide a meal for a basketball team, but I am going to keep your menu in mind just in case. How funny about the fruit--when we have all of the girls over--the fruit and salad are the first things to go--then the chocolate! Thanks for your sweet comment, we had a hectic weekend, and I'm just getting around to posting!! I also loved your Praise&Worship song and your cute Valentine post!
Take care & God bless you-
Molly

TattingChic said...

That's so nice that you are so involved with your boy's life! Very cool! Congrat's to the team for winning the home game! :)

Lady Farmer said...

Memories your boys will always cherish. Mom and Dad, too. You are raising young men to be proud of.
Have a terrific week!

Lille meg said...

Great photos! It looks so yummy, I got hungry when I saw this!
I am sure it tasted good too.
Have a nice day!

Mrs.Ruiz said...

I think more teams should follow those traditions, what a wonderful thing you guys are doing for them boys:)) and the food looks yummy!!! Great job!!

luvmy4sons said...

What a wonderful blessing to BOTH sides of this situation. Isn't it nice to experience some joy and not against through these teen years? And it is so great for them to feel your love and welcome! It is so awesome. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Where My Treasure Is said...

Thanks for the comment you left on my blog!

I enjoyed your post today. My family is big into sports. I played bball from 2nd grade to my freshman year in college. I miss the game! And your post brought back a lot of memories--all the get-togethers we had as a team. The guys at my high school had to dress up in ties on game days as well--they hated it, but we girls thought it was great!

I'm sure your son's team had a great time--and GREAT food!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

What a generous thing to give of yourselves to these young men. You fed them in more ways than one.

Rosemary said...

Sharon, can i be nosey? LOL! Your back yard looks so pretty! Would you share some pictures of it? My back yard is soooooo plain. No landscaping at all, and I need ideas!

Sharon said...

Hi Rosemary,

Hopefully I will be posting some new pix of the yard this spring. We are planning on working a bit harder in the yard than we have the past couple of years. To see more pictures of the yard you can go to my archive by subject area on my side bar and click on yard.

Have a great day!

Sharon

Sharon said...

Dear Lady Jane,

I could not get into your blog again :0( I don't know why. Do you? I will give you my secret recipe here for the pasta salad.....it's a box mix called Suddenly Salad and I bought the ranch flavor. It is soooo super easy and really good. I added some ranch dressing to it because I thought it was dry and I also added chopped olives. I did make the potato salad from scratch and the jello salad. My hubby made the baked beans from scratch too. I like what Pampered Chef says...if you make it in your home, even if it is a mix, it is home made!!!

Hugs, Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...