Thursday, January 22, 2009

A visit with my parents down memory lane.

Last week on my day off I went over to my parents house and had a lovely visit. I love to go over to their house and just hang out with them and visit and catch up. On this day I brought a movie along for my Mom and I to watch as we ate lunch and talked. It is always so fun for me to go home again. This is the house that I grew up in. My parents had it built when I was two years old, so that makes it 45 years old! I love this old house! There are so many wonderful, wonderful memories here!
This is my Daddy! He is such an amazing man. I love him so much. I am so thankful that he is still with us, as almost two years ago he had a major hemorrhagic stroke. We are so thankful to the Lord for healing our Daddy, he is probably 95% back to normal with only a few deficits. He drives, does the computer, enjoys reading, takes walks, walks on his treadmill, works in the yard and all the other things he did before the stroke.
My mother didn't want her picture taken, so I found this photo from Thanksgiving to show you how pretty she is.
This is their cute living room. I just love it. This isn't the furniture that I grew up with, they purchased this furniture about twenty years ago. It is a country cottage feel done in pinks and blues. It is so warm, cozy and comfortable in this room!
Here's a table in the living room full of pictures of their pride and joy.......15 grandchildren!
Here's their cute kitchen. Oh my goodness there are so many memories in this room! Memories of late night serious conversation with my parents, memories of fun family dinners, memories of wild and loud board games being played, memories of my mother baking pies and cookies, memories of my father making eggs on Sunday mornings, memories of my father reading his Bible at this kitchen table, and even memories of my wedding day, as I was married in their backyard and we served cake in this kitchen!
Here's my mother's stove. It is the original stove and is 45 years old. Can you see the panel in the front with buttons on it? That is how you turn on her stove, you simply push a button! They take such good care of their things, they have many of the original things to this house because they took such good care of things and my Dad always repaired things so carefully when things broke. My mom is an excellent cook and she has prepared so many delicious meals in this spot!
Here's a cute shelf in the hallway. Everywhere you look there is something cute in this house. My mother loves little feminine things. Things must be pink, lacy or cute to be in this house! My Daddy is so sweet and loving and lets her decorate the inside of the house the way she likes. It sounds like a good arrangement to me!
This is their guest room, it is aptly called the Princess Room.
It is decorated in whites, pale pinks and pale blues. It is so fun to sleep in this room!
Here's a cute little shelf in the corner of the Princess room. There are more fun treasures hidden here!
In the other room, The Green Room, she has a beautiful glass room divider in the corner with this awesome marble top table in front of it. My mother has three gorgeous African Violets here, aren't they beautiful! She has a real green thumb with plants. I forgot to ask her how old these beauties are, but I think they are at least 24 years old, the same age as my oldest son because I stayed with them for a week after he was born and slept in this room and I believe they were in there way back then!
This is my Daddy reading his Bible. I actually had him pose for this, but he is so faithful and he reads his Bible every single morning. He loves God so much and he is a prayer warrior. He has been such a great Godly example to all of his children and grandchildren.
We looked through his Bible together. Just about every page is underlined! I love his Bible! He has had this Bible for probably over 30 years! I usually size my pictures down for the blog, but I left this large, so if you click on them, you can see what he highlighted and read his notes. He has really cool handwriting. He writes everything in all caps. It is a little slanted and perfectly even; it is very original and I love it!
I remember waking up on school mornings and he would already be gone, because he left for work, but I would always see his Bible laying on the kitchen table. Because it was sitting out, I would read it too. I believe my two sisters and brother did the same thing. What a great example he was! You know, I do the same now for my kids, I always leave my Bible out after I read it because often I read it when they are still sleeping and I want them to know that I read it. I also discuss with them what I read, but it is just a little silent witness.
When he had his stroke he couldn't read for a few weeks and he missed it dearly. It was really neat though because he had so many scriptures memorized that he didn't even need his Bible! It was a beautiful thing to observe when he would quote scripture that he had memorized when he was having trouble remembering things like his children's names! Truly amazing. I bought him a large print Bible that he started reading until he was able to read this one again. My siblings and I all desire to have this Bible someday and we decided the only fair way would be that we rotate it every year so that all of us can read his Bible and read all of his notes.
These are my Daddy's hands. I love his hands. They protected me, hugged me, rescued me, tickled me, worked for me, made projects for me, cooked for me, disciplined me, loved me. I remember sitting next to him in church and he would hold my hand. I remember so clearly really looking and observing his hands and thinking they were so big and strong. I love my Daddy's hands.
Here's my Mama's hand. I love her hands too, they embraced me, cooked for me, cleaned me, clothed me, bathed me, disciplined me, protected me, loved me. I love my Mama's hands.
It is so fun for me to go home again. My parents did so many things right, they took such good care of me in a safe and loving home. I had a very happy childhood. The most important thing that my parents did for me when I was growing up was pray for me and teach me God's ways. Thank you Mom and Dad! I love you and I had a great visit with you!

"O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared Thy wondrous works." Psalms 71:17

"That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things." Titus 2:2-3

Love, Sharon

P.S. The song playing right now was written and performed by my oldest son, Mackenzie (under the name Forever Daydream). He wrote the song for my father the night he had his stroke. It is such a loving tribute to his grandpa and it still moves me.

22 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

Such a precious, precious post. You are so amazingly blessed. What a heritage! I loved your parents house! I loved that glass divider! And the original stove! Wow! I teared up actually by the time I got to the Bible and their hands! What a precious gift the Lord has given you in your family...such tradtiions! What a great tribute to them!

Rosemary said...

What a nice post sharon! You are so lucky they live nearby! My parents are an hour and a half away from us :(
Your parents home sounds much like mine. My mother has it decorated very feminine. Its so pretty!

gin said...

Such a lovely story. It's great to have those memories.

grey like snuffie said...

How wonderful. Such an honoring post.

Christy said...

Beautiful. Not everyone has the privilege of such a heritage. But it sounds like you already know that :)

Elena said...

This is a lovely, lovely post. Your parents are so precious. Like you. I am so thankful that I had loving and godly parents that provided a happy home for my 2 sisters, my brother and I. We all miss my mom so much as she has been gone for 20 years. My dad remarried and he lives a long ways away with a lady that does not treat him right. So, our hearts are very sad. You are blessed to have your folks near and in good health. God bless you today!

Michelle said...

What a touching post, Sharon! Thanks for sharing with us. I'm so glad you & your siblings were blessed with such wonderful, loving parents. That's truly a treasure :)

Love,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,
That was a beautiful post about your parents. Although both my parents have gone home to Heaven, they both left me with wonderful memories and a Christian heritage that I can pass along to my sons. Thanks so much for sharing.
Rosie

Kelly said...

What a beautiful post, Sharon! I've been so busy and haven't had a chance to read many blogs lately, but yours is one that I dearly missed! I hope that you're all doing well! I also love Brittany's blog, what a blessing she is in the bloging world! Both of you gals are. :o)

Great post, and I love that about the Bible...I was the same way (leaving it open) and still do to this day for some reason.

Lille meg said...

Oh, Sharon! Lucky you, who has your both parents! And what a couple of parents you have!
It is much to be thankful for, who has such parents!
I still have my mom, she'll be 93 in april. I love her, I don't need to say that? My dear old mother!
I shall visit her soon. She lives about an hours cartravel from my place.
Our blessed parents!
I wish you a great day!

Mrs.Ruiz said...

What a beautiful post:) Thank You for sharing your parents:)

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon...such a beautiful heart touching post. xo rachel

Liz said...

Your Daddy's Bible looks a lot like my Daddy's Bible. That's a lot to be thankful for, I think. :)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

You're so blessed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you and your parents for letting us have
a peak into their home.
Even tho their house is older you can see they have loving taken of it.
Looks so clean and clutter
free. You re very lucky
My husband both his parents have passed away.
My dad passed away 10 years ago. I still have my
mother she still lives in my home state of WV.
She will be 75 this Sat.
Gods Blessings!
Pamela

nannykim said...

Really nice post. It is wonderful that they live in the same home you had growing up....it makes for such nice memories. It is also so good that he has gotten most of his use back from the stroke, unfortunately my FIL has not regained the use of his one of his arms and one of his legs is very weak--he can walk a bit with help, but mainly is wheel chair bound.However he has been really used by the Lord in the assisted care facility he is living in--it is amazing the way he is using him to minister to others there!!

Beautiful Pear Tree Lane said...

Sharon,
I just can't find the words to tell you what reading this post has meant to me. I know that God is smiling on you,the influence that they had has certainly come through in it.
What an honor!!!! and what a wonderful daughter!!

I can see the love in your parents home through the pics.,
Blessings,
Sue

Civilla said...

Hi Sharon. Those were beautiful pictures of your childhood home and your lovely parents.

I, too, am beginning to go through the empty nest. I am 55, have been married 39 years this year. Husband is 58. We were married almost 20 years when we had our first child. (Infertility problems that were finally found and fixed.)

We have 2 boys, Sam, 21, and Joel, 19. Sam is at a technical school 3hours away from us. Joel attends college 28 miles away and comes home every weekend. Still, it is hard not having them with us.

My husband is a pastor of a small Baptist church. A part-time position. He is also retired from the Air Force.

I enjoyed your comment on Jennifer's blog. We, also, public schooled, but do think the people who homeschool should have the right. I'm all for freedom, and it never hurts the public school to have a little competition.

Our public schools here were pretty good, Thank God. Very small. We live in rural South Dakota.

Your blog is lovely.

Ruthie said...

What a wonderful tribute. It brought tears to my eyes. Precious precious parents. I am sure they still pray for you daily.
My parents are both in Heaven and I miss them dearly. There is nothing like a parents love and care.
Wow - that is a great song! I enjoyed it very much.
Hugs.

Kathi said...

Sharon, This was so beautiful. I loved every picture and every word you wrote. I love Daddy and Mom's hands too. I loved it that he read his Bible and prayed so many prayers and still does. Beautiful. I love you, Kathi

Lori said...

Sharon;
What a blessing your post is. We can all identify with saints we have known, and you are especially blessed with your own parents being saints. I was very touched by seeing the Bible and your father's notes. I saw a scripture that has always been precious to me, the one in Rev. 5 about the prayers of saints being saved as a bowl of incense. What a lovely picture it creates.
Lori~

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon! Enjoyed your blog today about my brother and his wife and seeing those familiar rooms that belonged to the motel I stayed in several times. I remember it was Bible devotion times every morning. When I got up there sat Leonard at the counter with his Bible. Shirley would be sitting in a chair by the sink.

And hiding the shrimp---that was cute. And your red dishes, and your day with Gray-Gray--and all the rest of your blogs. Have a great day!

Love, Aunt Helen

PS I love that chair you re-did. Beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...