Thursday, January 15, 2009

New boudoir chair.....

When we purchased our new master bedroom set one year ago, we needed to find a chair that would coordinate with new furniture. I have been looking off and on since then for a perfect little chair that would compliment our bedroom. I really did not feel like spending a lot of money, so I started looking at all the thrift stores (where else!!!). I was thrilled when I found this neat chair at St. Vincent De Paul for only $10.00!
It is a little beat up and I need to change the fabric on the chair pad, but it has great potential.
Eric removed the cushion for me so I could recover it.
I found this neat pillow the same day that I found the chair and I bought it purely for the fabric! I thought it would match our bedding perfectly! This is a brand new pillow with the Target tag still on it and it was only $2.99! The fabric was raveling around the zipper, so that is probably why it was donated to the thrift store. I didn't care about that since I was planning on taking it apart anyway! By the way, I found the same pillow at Target a few weeks later and they were asking $19.99 for it! I got a great deal!
I removed the stuffing from the pillow and cut it to size to fit the chair pad.
I carefully laid the fabric on the chair and placed it so that the design was centered and pleasing to the eye.
Then I folded the fabric around the pad and stapled it on the back with the staple gun.
This is really quite simple, you wrap the fabric around the pad like you would a present.
I folded the edges under so it would look finished.
I pulled it tight and stapled.
Okay, I'm all done stapling! This is how it looks when it is all stappled.
I flipped it over and was a little bummed that the design is a little off center. I think if I pull on it a bit I can get it centered. If not, it's not the end of the world. Now I just need to put it back on the chair!
While I was busy working on the pad, my sweet husband was out in the garage cleaning, sanding and putting tongue oil on it, which is a wood varnish. I think it turned out really pretty. Isn't this a beautiful wheat design carved on the back!
And here's the finished product! I just set it here next to the bed to show you how well it coordinates with our bedspread. The dark varnish also coordinates well with the the dark wood furniture.
I am really pleased with how it turned out and it only cost $12.99 total! Now we have a place to throw our clothes at night!

"Don't go around with a person who gets angry easily. You might learn his habits and then you will be trapped by them." Proverbs 22:24-25

Hugs, Sharon

36 comments:

Gail said...

Sharon~ You've done it again! :) This is beautiful and goes so well with your bedroom. You are so good - I love how you and your husband worked together to make this a nice outcome. Love it!

Blessings!

Kelly said...

Great job Sharon!!!! It looks perfect with the rest of the decor!!!

Love,
kelly

gin said...

Nice project. It turned out beautiful.

grey like snuffie said...

It looks perfect. I LOVE when God gives us those kinds of cool ideas. I've never heard of Tongue Oil. I'll have to check that out...we have several OLD items that could use a fresh shine but I didn't want to totally refinish them.

mardell said...

Can I just say *G*O*R*G*E*O*U*S*?

Wow, Sharon! Yes, you've done it again! It's as if it were meant for your bedroom. It's amazing how well the fabric from the pillow matches your bedding. What a steal for $12.99! I love tongue oil too. We re-did an antique dresser using that & it turned out beautifully.

Have a great day ~
Hugs,
Mardell

Connie said...

That turned out perfect and more than perfect for your bedroom, little cherub! Great deal and decorating
Smooches,
Connie

Amy said...

Look at you! It looks so great! You inspire me so much with these projects. THANK YOU!

Kim said...

Isn't the wait and ther work orth it? I love to wait for just the right item instead of just making something that will do. I figure that since I have to look at it all the time it might as well be something I love.

Jocelyn said...

Is jealousy of your skills a bad thing? I wish I had the eye you do!
I love it!
and 12.99! even better!

word verif: CARAT as in Diamonds.. awesome!

Sharon Kay said...

Sharon, you two could go in to business, you both did a good job, the chair does go with your bed spread and room so well. This is why I enjoy looking at blogs........so many wonderful ideas and so many talented people just like you. I so enjoy reading your post. Hugs Sharon K

Mrs.Ruiz said...

Good job!!! it looks great:)

Jan Parrish said...

Sharon, I love it. Love the fabric, the chair and your creativity. Great job!

luvmy4sons said...

Beautiful. You truly are amzing and talented.

Lille meg said...

So beautiful! and you are really clever! That pillow is also so cute, I love it all!
Very good, and well done! And it wasn't expencive at all!
Have a nice day!:)

Tammy said...

Wow,you are so gifted!

It always amazes me when someone takes something that is old and make it brand new.

Our God is the master at that one:)

Erin said...

You are an awesome bargain shopper! That chair looks just perfect next to your bed.

Anonymous said...

What a deal!! You should be proud :)

Jonna

Sherry said...

Good JOB! That is what would be thrown on mine....several nights in a row!

Sweet Nothings said...

You did a great job on that chair! It looks great with the rest of the decor of the bedroom!

Love you!

Christy said...

What a fun project! I just love that sort of thing. It looks just perfect. Thanks for dropping by my blog - it's so fun to meet new people :)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Terrific job. But you made me laugh with the clothes comment.

Becky K. said...

Oh how nicely that works in your room. Nice job!
Love that price tag too!

Stephanie said...

Wow, great job ! Your colors are so pretty too!
I did forward that email to Pam, I havent talked to her in a few days so we will see what is good for her too..... we have a couple favorite places down in that neck of the woods , so hopefully something works out soon !!

~Stephanie~

Sondra said...

Very pretty chair. You did a great job on it. I just bought a vanity chair at auction last weekend and am going to recover it too. Take a look at my $5.00 chair. I posted about it a few days ago. It is so funny how I will do a certain post and then stop over here and you have done a similar post. That has happened so many times! You know what they say- great minds think alike! LOL!

Jennifer said...

Ah! That was a great idea! I really love it!

Anonymous said...

Sharon your chair came out so pretty. And to find that pillow with that fabric on it.What a great
and lucky find, And what
a great money saving bargain! How fun!
Gods Blessings
Pamela

Kathi said...

Sharon, It would be so cool, and I am serous, if you took it to antiques road show, they'd say, "Oh, this is worth $8,000 at auction." It is so pretty. You and Eric did a great job. It is gorgeous. Kathi

Rosemary said...

You did good girlfriend!

Sharon said...

Thanks Mardell and Jonna! I was blessed with such a great bargain and I love how it turned out!

:o) Sharon

A Romantic Porch said...

So gorgeous. My kind of deal! xorachel

Linda said...

Looks great Sharon! I can't believe it's been a year since you got your set....time does fly...hugs, Linda

Judy said...

Beautiful job Sharon. I love the fabric color, you are so clever.
Hugs,
Judy

rhymeswithplague said...

I think I'm the first male to comment out of 33 comments. My question is: between the thrift shop shopping and the reupholstering and the photography and the basketball games and the raising of four sons and the keeping the head of the house happy with a full stomach, when do you ever find time to blog????

Beth said...

How clever! That looks lovely in your bedroom.

Mrs. Rabe said...

Perfect and what a great deal!

I haven't been by for a visit for a while and am enjoying a Sunday morning (home with a sick little one) visit!

TattingChic said...

Sharon, your chair is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful talent for redoing an old chair and making it new again! It looks beautiful in your bedroom! What a pair you and your hubby are; working together like that! Wayyyy cool! So resourceful, too! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...