Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My needlework collection

Today I decided to share with all of you my collection of framed needlework. I love old stitch work; I like most hand stitched items, but my favorite is needlepoint. I am not an expert, so if I am incorrect on these, please correct me, as I want to learn. I believe the above Home Sweet Home sign is cross stitch or it is embroidery. I found it at a garage sale unframed in a crumpled mess. I have always wanted a Home Sweet Home sign and am thrilled to have such a vintage looking one!! I have it hanging above a shelf that is filled with old medicine bottles on the wall in the main floor powder room. It was on bright white fabric, but I tea stained it to have a more aged look.
This is a very large, approximately 18x18, needlepoint. I love it. It's in the powder room as well. I found this at the Salvation Army and I think I paid around $10.00 for it. It was already in this beautiful frame. Someone went to a lot of work to make this.
This is one of my favorites. It is a needlepoint that I have in our family room. I love the burgundy background.
This black needlepoint is in the family room too.
Here's a cross stitch sampler. I love this one! It's also in our family room. I love what it says!
These two match. I found them together at Goodwill. Most of my framed stitchings were found at second hand shops or at garage sales and with only a few exceptions, I paid between $.99 cents and $3.99 for them. I prefer to have them framed in glass, but many times they are framed without glass like the two above.
Here's a cute little round needlepoint of fruit. It is so bright and cheery. This one does have glass.
I really, really like this one. I am not sure the type of stitch it is, it's not needlepoint or cross stitch. Do any of you out there know what type of stitching this is? Is it embroidery?
It is so vintage looking. I just love the little house with the red roof and the beautiful flowers in the front. This is hanging in our laundry room on a wall that faces the kitchen and I see it every day, many times a day.
Here's a little embroidered tea towel that I framed. I love the three little pigs dancing! This picture is also on our laundry room.
Here's a pretty rose needlepoint that is hanging in our dining room. I believe it is from a kit, actually many of pieces in my needlework collection are from kits.
This picture and the one below were purchased as a set. They are both framed in glass.
I have them hanging on the wall on both sides of the window in our dining room.
This is another one of my favorite pieces. I found it hanging on the wall at Salvation Army. I literally ran to it and grabbed it off the wall.
It was in this pretty frame and it cost $4.99. What a steal!
I have two miniature needlework pieces hanging under this shelf in the living room.
I am not certain, but I think this one is called petit point. It is like needlepoint, but a smaller stitch.
I think this one could be too.
I also have several needlepoint pillows, which I adore as well. Here's a beauty that I found at Goodwill. I only paid $1.99 for this pillow! A lot of times pillows have velvet on the flip side, which is another thing that thrills me!
Here are two others; they sit on the couch in the living room. I absolutely love the floral pillow on the left, I believe it is very, very old. The colors are so beautiful. The little girl with her dog is a new pillow that I recently found at Goodwill and am thrilled with it!
It is needle point with some petit point stitching on certain parts of it like the little girls face and arms and the little dogs face. I love her sweet face.
The dog is pretty cute too! I only paid $2.99 for it! I like it because it looks like an antique!
Here are a few more pillows. This cute heart pillow is another thrift store find. I love the saying! It sits on a chair in the dining room.
Here's another favorite pillow (how many favorites am I allowed to have?). This one sits on a chair in the dining room too. The colors are perfect for my house! I am always so delighted when the whole piece has been done in needlepoint including the background, and that's how this one is, all that burgundy in the background has been hand stitched. It is not only beautiful, but it represents so many hours of work that some sweet lady did long ago. I love it!
Here's another very special one to me. This beautiful pillow is a gift from my son, Cameron. I absolutely love it! This pillow is not handmade, but it sure is gorgeous! He totally surprised me for Christmas a few years ago and he picked it out himself. I will always treasure it.

I am not quite sure why I am so attracted to needlework. I think it is because generally they are homemade and give a cozy feel to my home as well as they just represent a different time period from long ago and remind me of grandma's house. I have many more that I will share on another day.

Have a beautiful day!

"She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands." Proverbs 31:13

Hugs, Sharon

22 comments:

Connie said...

I also love needlework, honey! I have so much I need to finish. You've given me an incentive to tackle it once more, chickee........
Smooches,
Connie

Yours is beautiful also!

gin said...

What a nice collection of pieces. That one you questioned I think is "crewel work". I have done a few of those. It uses embroidary thread but like longer stitches and different stitches. I tagged you on my "keepsake moments" blog.
Have a good day!

Judy said...

You have some really beautiful needlework Sharon. I love the house one, there is something about it that just catches your eye, I can see why you bought it. I'm sorry I don't know much about needlework to know the types of stitches.
Hugs,
Judy

grey like snuffie said...

WOW, you do have a lot of pieces. That is so fun that you could find so many at thrift stores. You found some real treasures. I think the little one with the red roof cottage is Embroidery. I grew up with grandmothers who did everything, Cross Stitch, Embroidery, Needlepoint, Tatting, Knitting, Quilting and Crochet. I wonder if anyone does Tatting anymore.

Sarah said...

Wow you do have a lot of them. They are all so pretty but I love the one with the little pigs. It is just different and unique
Sarah

Linda said...

Sharon, I adore your collection! I like them all. Your Home Sweet Home is wonderful and I like the needlepoint flowers on black..just two favorites. I think the sweet little house is crewel work.
I'm so glad all these precious pieces are in your home, where they are loved and appreciated...hugs, Linda

Jocelyn said...

I love them!
I BET even you didnt realize how much you had!!!

luvmy4sons said...

A great treasure you have there. I know how to cross stitch and have a few I made around the house, but I usually made samplers for births etc...and gave them away as gifts! I have cross stitched in a very long time!

Carol said...

You have a beautiful collection of needlework. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Carol

Gail said...

Sharon~ you have a nice collection! I would have a hard time ever picking a favorite! I love needlework and think it is so special since it is handmade and takes time to create. I love to make them as well. Great post!!

nannykim said...

YIKES--WHAT don't you collect!! (oh, I know, you don't collect hubbies, one great one is enough!!)

I agree with one of the comments--the house picture is crewel. I Did one of those type years ago.

I love the pansy one the best ; oh and the pillow of the child and dog---what a wonder!!!

Cottage Contessa said...

What a beautiful collection! My Nana used to do the most exquisite needle work, something that I would like to learn to do one day too. We'll just add that to my long list of "to do's" shall we?! lol Have a happy day sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Mrs. Mordecai said...

Wow, that's quite a collection! My favorites are the Home Sweet Home sign (love those bottles, too!) and that amazing house. Thanks for sharing.

Mrs.Ruiz said...

You have lots of beautiful treasures:)

Kasey Hunt said...

Reminds me of my Grandma. I miss her. I too like stitched pictures. New to your blog. Saw you on Mabel's house.

Sondra said...

Really cool collection. I love the three pigs one the best.

Elena said...

Wow, so many lovely pieces. The one of the house is crewel work. I have a pillow that my mom did in crewel work and I just love it.

Susan said...

Love your collection. I like the crewel work cottage best. My mom collected needlework houses. I am hoping that she passes a few my way someday. I would love to go to your thrift stores. The Goodwill here is incredibly overpriced and never has anything as nice as the things you show us.

Rosemary said...

you have some lovely pieces Sharon! I LOVE the crewel house stitchery!! Those are hard to find :) rosemary

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

You do have some beautiful pieces. I love all the roses.

I agree, the one of the house is crewel work.

Sharon said...

Hi Sue,

Thank you for stopping by!How neat that your mother collected needlework houses! I bet they are wonderful! I hope that you will get to enjoy a few of them someday.

Hugs, Sharon

Denise said...

Love your needlework collection! I have done needlepoint, petit-point, cross-stitch, and crewelwork in the past, so I know all the hours, and hours of work that your collection represents. What a treasure! I found your blog through my sister,Elena. Also, your sister, Kathi's and DIL Brittany's. I'll be following, too!:>

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...