Monday, January 26, 2009

Morning walks........

Can you guess what I'm doing all gussied up like this?
It is 6:00 a.m. and I am heading down the street to meet my neighbor, Shelley, to go on our morning walk!
It's dark and on this morning it is cold! It's only 26 degrees! Brrrrr!!!
I jog for about a block down to the corner where we meet.
Can you see her way down there in the distance? You can barely see a figure in the shadows under the street lamp, that's her!
Oh, now we're closer, there she is! I would like to introduce you to my dear friend, Shelley! She was a bit camera shy, so I respected her wishes and I did not get a close up picture.
She took a picture of me, so you can see how bundled up I am! I still have my jammies on, then I put a pair of sweat pants and a long sleeve thick shirt over them, then two more sweat shirts over that with a big heavy coat, a knit hat and gloves! I usually am really comfortable.
I just love our walks and really look forward to them! Can you see our shadows on the ground?
We started walking in November of 2007 and have only missed a handful of days! We walk three days every week. We walk three miles and it takes us an hour. This has been the perfect work out for me, it's free and it's easy, having a friend along is so great for the accountability and for the great conversation, which makes the time go by really quickly. I like going so early in the morning because then I am done for the whole day! Also, very few people are out, so I don't care how I look!
It is such great exercise for our bodies, but the conversation and friendship is so good for our souls! We are both Christians and it is so wonderful to be able to share our burdens with each other and lift each other up in prayer. The Lord has answered so many of our prayers! It is awesome!
Here's my house again, we are done with our route. We always stop here in front of my mailbox and talk for a few more minutes. We both feel like the Lord blesses our time together and provides for us really good weather conditions to walk. We live in Oregon and in the year and a half since we started walking we have only walked in the rain about 5 times or so! Isn't that amazing! I am so thankful for this neat time, not only for the exercise, but for the friendship!

"Oil and perfume rejoice the heart; so does the sweetness of a friend's counsel that comes from the heart." Proverbs 27:9

Hugs, Sharon

19 comments:

TattingChic said...

Sharon how lovely that you have a walking partner! THat in and of itself is a blessing! I would love to find a friend to go walking with, but later in the day, LOL! I am not much of a morning person, LOL! That's also sweet that your pray together and comfort and uplift one another. THat is what friendship is all about as far as I'm concerned.

luvmy4sons said...

That is awesome. I don't think I am one to brave the cold...but I think that would be far more enjoyable than my alone time jumping on my mini trampoline. What a blessed time of friendship. Love the pics.

Stephanie said...

Thats great to have a walking partner. I too walk every day, I dont miss one day. If its raining, I get on the tradmill.
I usually walk with my husband but sometimes my niece who lives next store!!
In fact, yesterday, I walked my 3 mile route, twice ! I dont know what got into me!! lol

Have a great week :)

gin said...

That's a nice routine you and your friend have. I love those morning walks too. But that's too cold for me. I like the 99 degree mornings here in the south!

grey like snuffie said...

How wonderful to have someone to do it with, good for your body and your spirit. I love the foggy pictures.

Elena said...

Wow, that is such a great thing to do! I need to go walking in our mall to get some exercise.

Linda said...

I love to walk early in the morning too...especially in the fog. My waking group meets at 7 a.m., we walk along the river, it's a beautiful way to start the day. Hugs, Linda

p.s. I've haven't walked in awhile....you are inspiring me to get busy.

linda said...

How blessed you are to have a faithful walking partner Sharon. I used to do the same but my partner moved. It broke my heart. I need to start praying for another partner don't I!

We have been in Oakland for the last few days. Met a friend who lives in Scio for lunch yesterday in Salem. We will be heading to Grants Pass today and then home. You're right...IT'S COLD OUTSIDE, especially today. You're lucky to live in this beautiful area. Hopefully I will also in the near future.

Next time I'm in the area I'll have to look you up. It would be great to meet up for lunch!

Sharon Kay said...

Sharon, it is good to have someone to talk to and exercise with. I have a friend Linda and we swim a few days a week and I also enjoy that so much. I have a special award for you over at my cottage.........Hugs Sharon

Mary said...

Sharon,

How wonderful that you and your friend, Shelley enjoy these walks and Christian fellowship three mornings each week. It's things such as this that makes life sparkle.

Blessings,
Mary

Connie said...

You're toooo good to be true, honey!!! I have to "seduce" myself into exercising. Treadmill is my choice though........
Smooches,
Connie

Cottage Contessa said...

Hi Sharon! Sweetie I have missed your blog and all your daily adventures while we were away on holiday, but I'm back and happy to hear that you are doing well dear friend. Keep up the good work outs, you're right it's so good for the mind, body and soul to walk with a special friend! Wishing you a wonderful day!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Beautiful Pear Tree Lane said...

Sharon,
Thanks for the motivation, I have been planning to get back on my walking, but I have been so lazy. Now, where are my walking shoes.LOL~!!
Blessings,
Sue

A Romantic Porch said...

That is wonderful to walk with a friend. I love to exercise early in the morning too. xo rachel

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

It's great that you have an exercise partner and one who shares your faith.

Denise said...

I so need a walking partner! Really do......... Hey, thanks for stopping by and how did we loose touch! How do those things happen......... I will get you back on my list and I will get over here once in a while........

blessing girl......

Sweet Nothings said...

It's fun to see pictures of your walking mornings! Now I can picture you in my head when your walking with Shelley. Of course I'll probably be still asleep! haha

I'm glad you have an accountability partner to get your exercise in with!


Love you!

Kathi said...

Sharon, It is so good that you do this. How wonderful the way God has provided your friend and you can pray together and talk about your concerns, plus exercise. I'm proud of you and think I should be doing this too. Love ya, kathi

nannykim said...

Hi--I used to love my early morning walks for some of the same reasons. I loved the beauty and quiet of a 5 am walk. But I was walking alone (sometimes I walked over at a school where there were others). It became a matter of safety, however, for me. I thought I was safe in this small little town at that time in the morning--however, my hubby didn't like the idea. And then, on the route I usually walked at the 5 oclock time
period a woman who was jogging got raped! So I decided to listen to my husband and change my time. But I am glad you have a faithful partner to walk with.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...