Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Mom........I got in a wreck"

"Mom.......I got in a wreck." The words no mother wants to hear when she picks up the phone at 11:30 at night. But those are the words I heard from my 18 year old son's mouth on Friday night. I am so, so, so, so thankful to the Lord for watching over Grayson and protecting him. It could have been so much worse.
He was coming home from his girlfriend Rachelle's house and he didn't realize it was icy. She lives in the country and he turned a sharp corner and started sliding on the ice. From how he explained it, it sounds like he held his composure really well and remembered all the rules of what to do. He didn't slam on his breaks, he gently eased on the breaks, but it was too late and he fish-tailed and then slid off the road through a fence and ended up in a field, stuck in the mud. Of all nights, he didn't have his cell phone! He recognized one of the houses near by and ran to it and knocked. They opened the door and were very kind to him and let him use their phone.
He called us right away, and Eric and I were in bed. I answered the phone and after he told me he got in a wreck and that he was okay, I gave the phone to Eric.

It is weird how quickly our brains can transmit something - even though I fully understood what I was hearing, I realized that it was coming from Grayson's mouth and that meant he was okay. I also quickly computed that he told us when he left that he didn't have his phone because his battery was dead, so I remembered that and realized that he must have walked to a phone, so he was okay.

Eric got a few more details and found out where Grayson was. Times like these make me really love and appreciate my husband. He doesn't even hesitate, he said, "do you need me to come get you" and he jumped out of bed, threw on some clothes and left. I stayed home and prayed. I just wanted them both home safe as it was really icy out.

There was damage to his truck, but it is minimal and still drivable. He is really bummed out about it, but we are soooo thankful it wasn't worse.
These are pictures of Eric and Grayson inspecting the damage and doing a quick fix on the head light. Grayson woke up early Saturday morning and the first thing he did was call the homeowner of the property to inform him that he broke his fence. The man was very nice. Grayson had a big basketball tournament out of town that we all went to on Saturday, so they couldn't fix the fence then. Today after church they will go over and fix the man's fence.

Grayson was feeling pretty bad about it, but we told him he should be thankful it wasn't worse and chalk it up to a huge learning experience. Grayson said he was thankful and then he listed so many ways that it could have been worse: there could have been another car, it could have been on the freeway, it could have been out in the middle of no where with no homes around, he could have rolled his truck, could have gotten seriously injured. Yes, there is so much to be thankful for.
Wasn't it just two weeks ago today that I talked about not having Christmas joy and I said that if someone in my family was hurt or ill that that my feelings of being blue would be all silly to me and put everything in perspective. Well, I can tell you today that is true, I am counting my blessings and I am so joyful that my son's little truck, albeit dented, is sitting safe and sound in front of our home and our son is safe and sound!

Thank you Lord, so much for watching over my boy. I am so very grateful he is okay.

"For He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways." Psalm 91:11


Gratefully, Sharon

22 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

I am so very glad your son is okay. I know that feeling exactly. My 17 year old called us just a few months back. He swerved to miss a deer and ended in the ditch...spun around left of center...very scary,. Praise God for His mercies are new every morning. Rejoicing with you...and remembering that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you hear those words.

grey like snuffie said...

Thank You Jesus!

Linda said...

Sharon, I'm so thankful Grayson wasn't hurt and he was in an area where he was able to use a phone. He was truly being watched over...hugs, Linda

TattingChic said...

Glad he wasn't hurt!

Michelle said...

Oh Sharon ~ I am SO GLAD Grayson is fine...Praise God!!! As you know from our story with Tyler, I can really empathize with getting THAT kind of phone call. I'm really rejoicing with you & your family!

Hugs,
Michelle

Beth said...

I'm so glad he was ok! I'm sure getting a call like that was very scary.

Sherry said...

Glad he is okay, when my second daughter started to drive someone said to me "oh that must be so freeing"....and I thought that is weird, I liked driving together and yes basketball practices are easier etc..., but there is always a worry. I guess it does make momma's prayer warriors...

Ruthie said...

So glad to hear he was OK. Rom 8:28 "All things work together for good-" so maybe this experience will serve him well in some future event to keep him safe.

Sweet Nothings said...

Kenz and I were shocked when you told us. We're so glad he's ok and did everything right on the road. He's such a great guy and we're proud to have him as our brother! Praise the Lord nothing was worse.

We love you! See you tonight!

Brenda said...

Oh Sharon im so happy he was okay. Even though mine are gone when the phone rings I freak. it was really bad when they were home. Most nights I stayed up and waited. All three had different curfews so sleep was slim.

Mrs.Ruiz said...

Praise Jesus!! Im so glad Grayson is fine. I too fear that phone call. Isn't God wonderful:)

Kathi said...

Oh Sharon, I am so thankful Grayson is fine and that it was not worse. Praise the Lord. Love, Kathi

Jocelyn said...

thank you Jesus he is allright.
My son just rolled his truck and totaled it about a month ago. Very scary. Poor kid, it was his pride and joy too.

Anonymous said...

Thank you our Dear Heavenly
Father for keeping Erics
and Sharons very young son
safe.
Pamela

Sondra said...

I am so glad that he is ok and that the accident was only minor. What a terrible phone call to get. I am sure you were very worried about him. I worry about Aaron driving at night all the time. That ice can be nasty stuff but we don't get it much around here.

nannykim said...

Wow, thank God for his safety and the advantage it gives for learning some lessons. You had a good way of looking at the situation.

Rosemary said...

thankfully only a little fender bender! Same thing happened to megan except it was a slick road from rain. Its scary, but teaches them to drive a little more carefully! Glad hes okay! Rosemary

Kelly said...

Sharon, oh bless you! You must have been so worried, thank the good Lord he is fine and everything turned out the way it did. It didn't take this to put things in perspective, you already have a handle on that....these situations just keep you there!!!
Lots of love and hugs to all of you!

Kelly

Mary said...

Sharon,

Tell Grayson that almost every driver has an accident of some kind within the first year of driving. He is a very lucky young man. Also tell him never to speed, as his guardian angel is not allowed to go over the speed limit. I can see his guardian angel was with him this night.

Blessings,
Mary

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
I'm so glad to hear that Grayson is O.K., it's so scary when anything happens to our kids. Praying for them daily is so important isn't it?
Love, Velvia

Pearl said...

Sharon... I know exactly how you felt that night when your phone rang... God bless your heart, and everyone in your family... I've had more than one of those "dreaded phone calls" and they simply are not easy to take, at all... I'm really happy for you that Grayson was not injured... We're such blessed children to have an amazing Father in God... All Glory goes to Him! God bless...

~hugs 'n prayers~

Pearl

Sunflower Farm said...

I am so glad he is okay. I also dread the phone calls at night. I layed awake last night until 3:45am until my 18 walked in the door from a hockey game 4 hours away. Also don't you just love Dads they always know what to do it this type of situation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...