Sunday, January 11, 2009

Let's play the Glad Game!!!!!

Yesterday I shared with you a great role model for my sons, so today I thought I would share with you one of my role models. I love the old Disney movie from the 1960s called "Pollyanna" staring Hayley Mills. I probably watch it three times a year. It just lifts my spirits. I love the time period, the scenery, the clothes, the beautiful homes, etc. but what I love the most is the story. Pollyanna is indeed one of my role models. She is such a positive person.
If you are not familiar with the story it is about a little orphaned girl named Pollyanna who comes to Harrington Town to live with her rich and controlling aunt. What I love about her is how her positive attitude effects everyone in the town! People are better because they know her!
She plays the "Glad game", which really is a very good idea. She sees the good in every situation and always looks on the bright side. She also talks about the "happy texts" in the Bible.
Pollyanna's father was a missionary and he told her that he had noted over 800 verses in the Bible in which God tells us to rejoice or be glad or be happy, and was of the opinion that if the Lord took the trouble to tell us 800 times that He wants us to rejoice, then He must really mean it.
"When you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will."
—Abraham Lincoln, Inscription on Pollyanna's locket, a gift from her father
If you have a minute this week to watch this old movie, I highly recommend it. Perhaps it will lift your spirits and challenge you to play the glad game!
This is really just being optimistic and a good scripture for this way of thinking would be Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him." I am sure that it would make God happy if we could find reasons to be glad and happy with the circumstances that He gives us, rather than complain about our lives and not be thankful for what He provides.

What are you glad about today? I'm glad my Cameron spent the night with us last night and we had a wonderful evening and that today I get to be in church with all four of my sons and my daughter-in-law!

I hope that you have a wonderful Sunday with your families and that you start your new week off great!


"This is the day that the Lord hath made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

In Him, Sharon

20 comments:

grey like snuffie said...

I'm glad that even though the last two years with no church home have been hard it has caused me to press into God more, take responsibility for my walk with Him more, instead of letting others carry me along---I had fallen into a complacency and this season of life is challenging me to wake up.

I LOVE that movie. I really need to get my own copy. Hope your week with Him is grand Sharon!

Sherry said...

I need a little Pollyanna today!

I am glad that God has forgiven my sins. (I am wishing he didn't have to do it so often...LOL)

luvmy4sons said...

All four sons and a daughter-in-law! Awesome. I love that movie, but often feel I fall WAY short of anything remotely similiar! LOL! Blessings upon you today!

Brenda said...

That was one beautiful post. I have never heard,but will be looking for the movie.
Im glad my mom is still alive,my son came home safe,all my grandbabies are well.

Kathi said...

Awesome post Sharon. You are so right. I love that movie too. Love you, Kathi

Pearl said...

Hi Sharon... I was so excited when I opened your blog and discovered that the "Glad Game" in your title was indeed from Pollyanna! When I saw the title I instantly thought of that movie... also one of my favorites!

Today I am glad that I woke up and all 3 of the guys in my life were home with me... I am glad that we tell each other ~I Love You~ each day that God gives to us... Today I am glad for the many wonderful blogging friends I have, including you! God bless...

~hugs 'n prayers~

Pearl

Sweet Nothings said...

Hey Mom!

This is a really cute movie. I remember watching it a few times when I was growing up. I'm glad you could all be at church with us today! :)

Have a great day!

Love you!
Brittany

Connie said...

Ohmy, I can't think of any role models I follow, honey. I try to follow my Savior's example but fall far short every day. It's always a struggle..........
Smooches,
Connie
Trying to catch up after 2 weeks of being "stone" dead, chick......

Elena said...

Great post! I am thankful I know the Lord, I have a godly husband and a healthy baby girl! I have many more things to be happy about but those are my top 3:)

Mrs.Ruiz said...

Awww, I have loved that movie for years:) Today I am glad that God loves me and he is working blessings into my life:)

Ruthie said...

That's one of my favorite movies also. Thanks for sharing it now. Helps to lift the January blues. :)
Hugs.
Ruthie

Beth said...

I LOVE Pollyanna. In fact, a colleague I used to work with used to call ME Pollyanna. She meant it as an insult, but I never took it that way. As a nurse, my patients are so sick, they need some sunshine in their lives.

I am glad today because all 4 of my children were in church with me today. I am glad because my son played drums while I played piano for Rainbow practice today (such fun!). I am glad because today is my daughter's 24th birthday and we learned that she now shares her special day with her newborn nephew. I have many more things to be glad about, too numerous to list. Thanks for sharing your role model.

Anonymous said...

Just had to share this with you! We went to Oregon this weekend to pick up a new car (MINI). We live in Northern California. My son, Cameron, and my husband were driving it home, I got the pleasure of driving our truck, my choice. I stopped in for diesel, and your son cleaned my windshield. I'd been listening to Christian music all the way, and just felt like this was another way God was saying, I know just where you are and will take care of you. Silly little thing, but it meant a lot to me. I didn't tell Grayson (I think) that I don't really know you, but enjoy reading your blogs. In everything give thanks.

Carrie P.

nannykim said...

I love that movie too, but I haven't seen it for years--what great advice--that movie always makes one happy and thankful. I like what was said about all the verses in the Bible speaking about rejoice--GREAT.

We had a fantastic Sunday with the baptism of our grandson, the birthday of his greatgranddad (on the other side of the family) and a romantic weekend all rolled into one wonderful weekend!! BLessings to you!

Jan Parrish said...

Sometimes the "Glad Game" is necessary. Think of all that we are blessed with and the doldrums are chased away. Great post.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sharon,
I do love your header!!! And I love this post as well. It was one of my favorite shows as well. Boy they don't make them like that anymore do they.

Hugz Lorie

Sondra said...

How ironic that you posted that. Yesterday was a tough day for us. We had a lot of tension and arguing in the house. The fact that Wes doesn't have a job and that Billy is blowing his money and not saving for his future,yet we have the financial burden of taking care of them...on and on...anyhow things were very tense yesterday and when I went to bed I thought, why are we just not thankful for what we have. Things could be so much worse. We have so much to be thankful and happy for. Anyway, I could go on and on but great post for me personally, Sharon. Thanks

~~Deby said...

I am glad that I *KNOW* I am going to heaven one day...I AM glad I have a husband that loves me so unconditonally, I am glad that I have met bloggers like *YOU*
Deby

Velvia said...

Hi Sharon!
I haven't watched Pollyanna in years, I'll have to rent it. I love your new polka dot jammies, they're adorable and you look beautiful in them! By the way, you should be a model, you've got what it takes.
Love, Velvia

Sharon said...

Your jammies are darling!
I am GLAD that this is the day the Lord has made.
Thank for posting the glad game. I love Pollyanna.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...