Friday, January 16, 2009

It doesn't take much.........

.....to make this old chick smile! Here's a funny story..........

The other night we went to Hayden's basketball game at the high school (he's the one making the free throw pictured above, he's #3). He plays on the freshman team. It was a great game and we were winning!
But you know what made my night???? Can you see the little boy on the left side of the picture in the navy coat, well, all you can actually see is his coat, but can you see him? Well, he made my night!
While we were watching the game he was sitting on the bench below us about five feet away from us. I was cheering for the team and yelled something to encourage Hayden, when all the sudden that little boy stared up at me and kept staring. I looked at him and said, "I'm Hayden's mom, so it's okay that I cheer for him". I was a little puzzled as to why he was looking at me.

Then all the sudden he smiled and shouted, "You're pretty!". Everyone around us started laughing! My husband, Eric, and my son, Grayson, were sitting by me and they were laughing. I was laughing! We all kind of dismissed it that he is a silly little boy, but I tell you no lie.....that made my night!!!! I have not had anyone compliment me like that in years!!!! I'm 47 and I just don't get compliments anymore, not that I got very many when I was young, nor do I ever expect them, but now that I am older, it just doesn't happen and I just feel kind of old and invisible. I want to make it perfectly clear that I do not live for this and I know very well that beauty on the inside is the only true beauty, but hey once in awhile a girl likes to get a compliment, ya know what I'm say'n???

I grinned and told him right away, "Thank you!" We all got back to watching the game, which was an awesome game and we won! Hayden actually got the winning basket too! So after the game when we were all so exuberant over our victory, I was secretly on cloud nine because a little boy thinks I'm pretty! :0)


I can live for two months on a good compliment. ~Mark Twain


"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30


Still floating, Sharon

18 comments:

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, That is so sweet. It's amazing how little things mean so much isn't it. xo rachel

grey like snuffie said...

He's right, you are very pretty. Good reminder to speak things I think, even if they seem a little "out there".

mardell said...

Oh Sharon! You ARE PRETTY!! :o) That boy has good eyes & knows beauty when he sees it. How very sweet of him. Even though Eric laughed, I'm sure he was proud! I'll be 45 this year & I can only dream of looking 1/2 as lovely as you! And yes, your right ~ beauty comes from within (and you've got that too, sweetie! Lots of it!) You are truly blessed.

Have a great weekend. :o)
Hugs,
Mardell

luvmy4sons said...

What a precious story! I love the Mark Twain quote. We need to remember this and take time to compliment others. And by the way you ARE pretty. I agree with him!

Connie said...

What a compliment, honey!! I once had a boyfriend of my granddaughter's tell me I had gorgeous eyes! I was stunned that a teenage boy would even notice something like that on an old lady, chick! But I was definitely flattered.

Don't forget the giveaway. You'll want to enter, I think! ;-) Hah,

Smooches,
Connie

Rosemary said...

Aw, thats sweet!

Linda said...

Morning Sharon...sweet story and your are pretty inside and out, and you know children are so honest. Love the quote and too true:). Happy to hear the game was great and you had a win...my lucky numbers are 3 and 13....so Hayden has a great number....hugs, Linda

Elena said...

That is such a cute story! That little boy sounded like a real sweetie:)

Jocelyn said...

but you arrrrrrrrrrre pretty and you deserve to hear it all the time.Not just every once in awhile from a little boy...
Yo have 4 big boys that should be telling you all the time, mine do but I MAKE THEM.. kidding. I dont but I should....

Mrs.Ruiz said...

A childs honesty is precious:)

Kathi said...

Oh Sharon, That is such a wonderful thing. I'm so glad he made your night. I know what you mean. Now and then small chldren will tell me that, and it just lifts my spirits. You are very pretty. Love ya, Kathi

Anonymous said...

I feel like such a slug, because so many times I've thought how lovely you are and never thought to actually leave a comment saying so. I'm shocked you don't hear it more often! I will try to remember this in the future. You're the best!

Jayne

Tammy said...

That's so cute!

I'm 50 and I now what you mean :)

Liz said...

I laughed right out loud Sharon. That was something straight out of a movie! What an adorable little boy... and of course he's right. You are pretty! :)

Beth said...

Out of the mouths of babes! Based on your pictures, you ARE pretty. How sweet of that little boy. That reminds me to make sure to smile or genuinely compliment someone when I think of it. Who knows who needs to be lifted up that day?

Sweet Nothings said...

Aw that's so sweet! Kids just come right out with what they want to say! They are not afraid! He's so right on though, you are beautiful inside and out!

Love you!

Anonymous said...

Awwww Sharon how special that was. And you ARE pretty!
Gods Blessings
Pamela

Pink Slippers said...

Great post....I posted about my 8 year old's basketball game. The adrenaline took over.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...