Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Confessions of a selfish shrimp lover.......

Okay, please promise me that you will still be my friend after you read this post. Come on now, say it, say out loud, "I promise I will still be friends with Sharon after I read this post. In fact, I pinky swear promise."

Alright, now that that's out of the way, I have a confession. I need to confess how horrible I am. Okay, here goes. The other day Eric and I were both home and it was getting near lunch time (around 11:00 AM). He was ready to go run some errands and would be leaving shortly and would be gone most of the day. I was busy cleaning my cabinets in the laundry room when all the sudden I remembered that I had a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer. I thought to myself, "Ah-ha, I'll defrost some of that shrimp and I'll have it for lunch." I like to eat lunch around 1:30 or so, so it had time to defrost. Now mind you, I purchased this shrimp as a little treat for myself and I was going to spread it out over two days for my lunch.
I set the shrimp out to defrost when I heard Eric walk through the house. For some reason I went into panic mode and I found myself quickly trying to hide the shrimp. I guess I was afraid that he would see the shrimp and want to eat all of it. First I shoved it in a drawer, then I realized that I would have some heavy explaining to do if he decided to get in the towel drawer, so I decided to change plans. I swiftly moved it to the laundry room where I cleverly hid it behind a sack of recyclables. All the sudden I realized what I was doing and felt ashamed.
Why in the world was I hiding the shrimp? There was more than enough to share with Eric. He is, after all, the love of my life, why in the world was I hording the shrimp and not wanting to share it? I went through all this drama and turmoil in my mind. I would not make a good criminal as I am a terrible liar, I have a strong conscience and my guilt shows all over my face.
I am very happy to report that I snapped out of it and I asked Eric if he would like a bowl of shrimp and he said, "No thanks, honey". Oh my goodness, I went through all of that and he declined anyway. Then I felt even worse! What is wrong with me? It's not like I can't have shrimp whenever I want it or that people around here take away my food. It's not like the shrimp is gold or anything, I found it at Wal-Mart for $6.00 a bag. I don't think my greed is caused by something in my childhood either, I was not deprived of anything as a child. I did have three siblings, but I don't ever remember having to fight for my food or having to go without, not ever.
" My precious! Oh, my precious!"
- Gollum, Lord of the Rings
Perhaps this comes from having four boys who are constantly eating and if I want something special for myself like special cookies or something, I buy them and put them in the cupboard. It seems that when I finally decide to reward myself with my wonderful treat it's gone because a ravenous teenage boy found it first. Who knows why I acted so shamefully, but whatever the cause, I don't like my behavior and I am going to try real hard to not hoard my shrimp or anything else again! I confessed, repented asked for forgiveness and it is all behind me now! I am so thankful that God is so forgiving and his mercies are new every morning!
I do want you to know that this is not a regular habit of mine! I do not regularly hoard things from my family, only once in a great while when I treat myself to something special and I guess I want to make sure that I get to enjoy it.

Now that you know the whole awful truth about me, will you still be my friend? Are there any of you out there who can relate to this at all? Perhaps with chocolate or your favorite cookies? It would comfort me to know that I am not alone here!

Have a wonderful, generous day!!!!

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

Hugs, Sharon

29 comments:

grey like snuffie said...

Thank you for the morning giggle...you sound like each of my friends who have been living in a house with all men. Most of them talk about how food is inhaled with little notice of taste or whether it was a chocolate cookie or a lovely shrimp. Okay there may be some truth God wants you to see but don't beat yourself up too much. Just so you know, that is one of the perks of the empty nest...the good stuff goes further. :) Hey, you have to look for any good perks that you can.

mardell said...

Good morning Sharon! :o) You're not alone when it comes to hiding food. We do that here because my husband will eat whatever comes into his path! So yes, I can understand what you did! And besides, you deserve to treat yourself to your favorite things!

Oh, I love your gun cabinet makeover! Very nice. I'm so glad you were able to get the deer off.

Have a great Tuesday.
Hugs,
Mardell

Happy @ Home said...

I got a good chuckle from your shrimp story. I have a secret hiding cupboard that I put special cookies in. If I don't do that my oldest son will have eaten the whole bag before I even get one. I feel what he doesn't know won't hurt him :-)

My Grandkids ROCK said...

OK one time I had purchased these really yummy chocolate covered mint oreo cookies. I really wanted them for myself so I hid them in the oven. I forgot about them. A couple days later I decided to make banana bread so I got the bowl out of the cupboard and the ingredients. I turned the oven on and started mixing everything up. Pretty soon I smelled something and remembered the box of cookies in the oven. Well, that was Karma I tell you. The whole box was ruined and I didn't get a single one. :) Have a great day. Tata for now Pam

Sarah said...

What a great shrimp story. My husband doesn't really care for shrimp.....so the more for me! Have a great day!

gin said...

Too funny! Yes, I have been known to hid animal cookies from my little ones because I love them - my little ones and animal cookies. But I have a thing with cookies. I eat the whole bag - quickly. And you know what, I do consider you a friend with just the short time I've been visiting your blog. So I have passed a "friend award" to you. Check my keepsakemoments blog to get it. It was posted a few days ago.

Jocelyn said...

i live with all boys too. ONe time Shawn brought me my favorite candy from Hawaii ( 2 boxes), well before I could eat 5 pieces he had eaten it ALL.
The boys are the same way, we hide stuff all the time..

Connie said...

Oh Sharon, you're too funny! Thanks for "keepin' it real". The truth is... living in a house with 4 or 5 men we know how fast things disappear.
I sure hope you enjoyed your shrimp. Suddenly I got a craving for some shrimp with cocktail sauce myself.

Elena said...

You crack me up! My mother-in-law tells the story of when my husband was a teenager, she had to write notes on things in the frig if she wanted them for something special or he would eat it. He was a growing teenager that grew up to be a 6ft 3in man! He would eat everything in sight! I'm sure she hid some things from him:)

Anonymous said...

Oh Sharon, you are so sweet, of course we love you anyway! Karen

Michelle said...

Your story made me smile this morning! Yep, I'll still be your friend, Sharon :) LOL

I like shrimp, too - but that's about pushing it for me as far as seafood goes. Kinda quirky, huh?!

Oh, and I'll admit to grabbing a bite to eat at a drive-thru and eating it on the way BEFORE I get home sometimes so I don't have to order meals for EVERYONE here...that probably sounds so bad, doesn't it?! But it's a little occasional treat for myself, just like you were saying :)

Happy Tuesday!

Hugs,
Michelle

Teresa said...

We don't know each other, but I came across your blog a few days ago, and am enjoying it so much!

So that you don't feel alone... One Christmas a friend brought me some homemade candies that she had made, which I should have shared with my family, but I did not. I hid them away and enjoyed every last one myself. I've forgiven myself and moved on, but still...

Sigh.

luvmy4sons said...

I am cracking up. I feel guilty because I too have done this...sometimes my sons will ask for a bite of "my food". Being the vegan it is a rarity that they want anything of mine. All I can think is how I can never eat any of THEIR food and they are going to eat theirs AND mine too! I should be glad they are broadening their horizons and trying something different! LOL! God likes to remind us that we are selfish at heart! Praise His name that He can overcome our flesh for us!

Mrs.Ruiz said...

LOL!!! Sharon you are normal:) that is the funniest thing I have heard lately, I hope you shared this story with Eric and you bothe were able to sit back and laugh. It is the kids that make us mom's hide treats. I do the same thing and Justin my DH just laughs at me. Thanks for being normal:))

susan said...

Don't feel too bad. I have to hide things too. I leave post it notes on food in the fridge. I have even been known to hide things in my lingere drawers. My sons got home before I did and would consume any and everything that was edible. Even making numerous boxes of the blue box mac and cheese just to hold them over until dinner at 5:30p. I still hid frozen goodies in an old eggplant cutlet box.

Sondra said...

I hide my Yoo-hoo's upstairs! And my husband will hide a 2 liter sometimes. It is just because the boys eat and drink everything with in seconds of seeing it- or so it seems!
Surgery went well. Stop by to read about it. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

We're still friends. Of course, I can't eat shrimp because my allergist is afraid it might trigger a new allergy.

Seriously, I can be possessive about some things. All we can do is what you've already done: give it to the Lord.

Look Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you make the martini glasses. They would be perfect for New Years Eve! I am not sure that I have ever hidden food before. Well, maybe a pint of Ben and Jerry's. I don't see the harm in it! If your doing it, do you think other might be too?
denise

~~Deby said...

Do I know what it is like to stash a favorite food....I refuse to answer...okay forget it, I will own up to such horrible behaviour...and of course I also have hid the evidence after the deed was done..SHAME ON ME.....double dog shame...you are not alone....you are honest...and put things in perspective....
it's only food....duh?....are we narcisstic or what?...Lord forgive these selfish hearts, or at least mine.
Deby

Jan Parrish said...

LOL. Yes, we are still friends. I could see myself doing that with strawberries.

Beth said...

Oh Sharon, this is too funny. I've had to hide special foods too. In fact, I'll hide graham crackers because those disappear in no time around here. And trust me, 3 girls and 1 boy can put away a lot of food too!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey Sharon! I've been reading your blog for about 3 months now but this is my first time to comment...I stumbled across your blog while searching for names for my son who will be born in May and I couldnt decide between Cameron or Grayson, anyway me and my husband are missionaries over in the Philippines and I must say as a fellow Christian I'm thoroughly impressed with the way that you have raised your family, it would seem through reading your blog you've done an exceptional job, just wanted to let you know dont be too hard on yourself about the shrimp, we all do it sometimes!!

Kathi said...

Sharon....last time you were at my house we had some missing shrimp....

Kathi said...

Stacey blamed me for the missing shrimp and I blamed him. We got in huge fight over it...just to find out about your habit.....of hoarding.

Just kidding.

I do what you do all the time. I hide cookies and special things like that because, like you said, they will be scarfed down by hungry teens.

This was cute and funny. I love you, Kathi

Sharon said...

Hey Kathi.....I was framed! I swear I'm innoncent, ya got noth'n on me!

:0) Love you sister!

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell....it's good to know you're a kindred spirit! :0)

Hugs, Sharon

Sharon said...

Dear Karen and Susan,

Thanks for your support! This makes me laugh that so many of us are the same and have done very similar things!

Hope you both have wonderful evenings!

xox, Sharon

Sharon said...

Dear anonymous in the Philippines....what a cool thing that you found my blog through the names Cameron and Grayson! You didn't tell me which one you chose! I am so happy that you enjoy my blog and thank you so very much for your sweet words of encouragment! I pray that you and your hubby and family will be safe out there in the mission field. Thank you for spreading God's word!

Hugs, Sharon

Sharon said...

Teresa, I clicked on your name and then on your picture and I could not access your blog. I will try again later. Thank you for stopping by my blog! Also, thanks for the moral support on my confession!

Hugs, Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...