Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Tis the season to be jolly...........

I just wanted to share my wonderful day I had with my family last Sunday (click here to read my daughter-in-laws version of the same day). This was the same Sunday morning I posted about not having Christmas joy and feeling blue. Boy, did the Lord restore my heart!

After I wrote that post I took a shower and we all went to church. The Lord just blessed me so much and gave me such a beautiful day! First of all the sermon was so wonderful as our pastor talked about Mary and what she went through as the mother of Jesus Christ, Savior of the World, and her obedience to the Lord. Then at the end of the service the choir sang. Mackenzie played the drums (you can see him at the right side of the photo. The song they sang made me cry!
It was a song about how much God loves us. They had each choir member walk across the stage with a poster that said who they were before and who they are now in the Lord. Above is a picture of Brittany walking across with her sign. The before side said something like "filled with anxiety" the flip side says, "Finds peace in the Lord."
Person after person walked across the stage with a sign saying their victory in the Lord. Things like "depressed" and then "filled with God's joy" or "angry & controlling" and then "joyful & God is in control" It was so amazing and so moving to see what God has done in other's lives. Mackenzie is in the picture above with his sign. The first side said, "Drums for fame" the flip side says, "Drums for (God's) Glory".
After church we had a little tour of homes. We first met at Cameron's apartment to look at all of his Christmas decorations. I thought for two bachelors, they had there place fixed up really cute and it was really clean. His roommate is his good friend from middle school, Keith, and they were laughing because they said the night before it was really messy! Cameron got the little tree at Target on clearance last year. I gave him a bunch of our old ornaments and decorations. I love how he decorated. I like all the lights on the walls. See the little mini stockings hanging on the wall? I made those many years ago and gave them to him when we got our new ones.
We all just hung out and visited for a while.
It makes me feel good to know that his new home is really warm, cozy and comfy. We had a fun visit. Then we all headed out for a quick bite at Taco Bell. Mackenzie and Cameron live about one mile apart.
Then we all met at Mackenzie and Brittany's house to see their decorations. Their tree is so cute!
They have some nice gifts under the tree!
The boys played their Wii and had lots of fun. They were playing tennis, golfing and bowling. It was fun to watch.
Here are a few of Mackenzie's nutcrackers. I started giving the boys one new nutcracker every Christmas when Mackenzie was about 10 years old. He has quite a neat collection now!
Then everyone came over to our house! Brittany and I made some Christmas goodies. We put on a Christmas movie and went to town. It was so fun! First we made crushed cinnamon candies covered with white chocolate. Here's a picture of Brittany smashing the cinnamon candy with a hammer.
Then, after we laid wax paper on a cookie sheet, we spread out all the smashed cinnamon candies on top.
I bought two packs of white almond bark and broke it apart. I cut each square into fourths.
Then I place the chocolates in a double boiler and slowly melted them.
When the chocolate is completely melted you simply pour evenly over the smashed candies.
Next we smashed pretzels and laid them on a cookie sheet.
And we did the same thing with raisins, marshmallows and peanuts to make a rocky road mix.
Here's Brittany cutting up the chocolate Almond Bark before melting it.
Once it was melted we poured it over the pretzels and the rocky road mix. After that we just set it aside to harden.
Cameron was relaxing and reading his book while we were busy in the kitchen. The other boys and my husband were all busy doing this and that and would pop in and out of the kitchen.
Once the chocolate has hardened you simple grab it and.............
......break it into bite size pieces.
We laid a sampling of the three types of chocolates on plates that I purchased at the after Christmas sales last year at Goodwill. I think they cost about .25 cents a plate.
This is a great idea to give to your neighbor. They get the yummy goodies, but they also get a cute Christmas plate! We each made enough to give to our neighbors.
Next we made chocolate chip cookie mixes in jars. I got this recipe from a book that I won from Deby @ Apples of Gold (thank you Deby!). We laid out all the ingredients and made an assembly line. This process was really quick and easy.
This is a very pretty gift and it is so economical. You can find all kinds of mixes on the internet from soups to brownies!
The next step is to cut a square of fabric to lay over the lid and then tie it off with some twine for that homespun look. We also printed off instructions to complete the cookies and will tuck them inside for the recipients of the gift.
After we were done making everything we had deli sandwiches with the whole family for dinner and we watched a Christmas movie together. It was so much fun and really got me in the spirit of Christmas. Here's a picture of my new daughter, Brittany and I after a fun day in the kitchen. I am so blessed with her! (I snagged this picture from her blog!)


The Lord truly blessed me with this day full of family, food, friends and fellowship! I am so thankful and I am so thankful for all of my blogging friends who cared so much to say a prayer for me! I really appreciate all of you and I wish you the best Christmas with your families!

"All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: "The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"—which means, "God with us." Mathew 1:22-23

Love and hugs, Sharon

Please stop by my blogging friend Pam's place at My Grandkids Rock. She is having a difficult year. You see, her husband, whom was the love of her life, died last January and this is her first Christmas without him. She is a lovely lady with such a strong faith, but things are tough and I think she could use some encouragement and prayer. Her post from yesterday is so moving, it will make you weep and will perhaps make you stop and really look at your husband and appreciate the smallest things about him.

17 comments:

Connie said...

Sounds like the Lord has His eye on uuuuuuu, chickee!! I'm so glad you're feeling chipper. Come visit my Christmas blog for today and reminisce with me and Love Bunny. I'm off now to visit with your friend, Pam.......
Smooches,
Connie

Lille meg said...

Oh what a wonderful day you have had, Sharon!
And the food looks so delicious!
I am sure you all enjoyed it.

I want to say merry christmas to you, and thank you for being my blogfriend!
Have a nice Chritsmas Eve!

TattingChic said...

Sharon, it looks like a lovely evening spent with loved ones. Just popped over to wish you a Merry Christmas! :)

~~Deby said...

Sharon,
You dear lady...Merry Christmas to you and yours...I look forward to another year of reading your blog--and getting to go through your life with your family...what a legacy you have...
I am glad that you got to try one of the recipes...I have made the potato soup mix (blog post soon)....we had bacon bits and onion....
Have a wonderful time tomorrow...tonight...whenever you celebrate...
Love,
Deby
btw...we in Seattle latte'land are having a white Christmas....not a wet one...wooohooooo

luvmy4sons said...

You always have such wonderful ideas. I loved them. The pics were great! Such a lovely family. You are greatly blessed. A very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

grey like snuffie said...

Again I'm in awe---you are so good to share love with so many friends and neighbors. I am REALLY impressed with the boys pad---it is so fun to watch our kids move on and create their own world. Merry Christmas Sharon, so glad God has restored your spirits.

Kathi said...

Sharon, Merry Christmas! YOur candies and all the decorations are wonderful. See you tonight. Love, Kathi

Carol said...

Your Christmas candy gifts look wonderful!

Merry Christmas blessings to you & yours!

Hugs,
Carol

Elena said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful Sunday. Your candy looks so yummy! Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family!

Sweet Nothings said...

Good post Mom! I like how you showed each step!

I got both comments you left this morning. They don't show up though until I can approve them. So, that's why you didn't see it.

And the salad, it comes with everything but the chicken! Shaved Parmesan, croutons, seasoning, and the Caesar dressing. That's what makes it so easy. There are different varieties of salad mixes.

Have a wonderful morning and we'll see you at church!

Love,
Brittany

BittersweetPunkin said...

Hi Sharon...looks like you are having a wonderful time with your Family. How wonderful of you to prepare treats for your neighbors!

I have been visiting Pam for quite some time and she is a constant in my thoughts and prayers...if I could pick one time to give her a hug it would be now.

Merry Christmas,
Hugs,
Robin

Linda said...

Truly a special day filled with an uplifting church service, wonderful music and your loving family. I love the special bond and friendship you share with Brittany and what yummies you two created. Merry Christmas Sharon and blessings to you and yours...I think of you as a friend and I'm so glad we met..hugs, Linda

Mrs.Ruiz said...

Im happy for you that you have Brittany, you two looked like you are having so much fun in the kitchen. have a Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family.
Thank you for a blog that has been inspiring and a
real joy and blessing to me!
Pamela NE Ohio

Sondra said...

Your treats look so yummy. I tried to comment on Brittany's blog too, but the word verification would not show up. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! I just seems like not that long ago I was telling you the same thing about this time of night. It is hard to believe another year has come and gone. Wow.
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU!!!

Jan Parrish said...

Looks delicious. I wish I'd had this recipe a few days ago. You are an amazing mom and MIL. I wish I was your neighbor.

nannykim said...

Alas, don't you ever rest!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...