Monday, December 22, 2008

Grayson's birthday party!

Look at all this food! Can you guess why we have all this food?
There are four pizzas, four bowls of chips, one bowl of Nilla wafers, one pitcher full of red licorice, one bowl of double bubble gum and four 12 packs of pop.
It's Grayson's 18th birthday party with all his friends! Here's Gray and his sweetie, Rachelle.

We might be weird, but we did not have big "friend" parties for our kids birthdays every year. They each only had two big birthday parties; we usually just celebrate quietly at home with the family (although we have had other parties for them like for their football team, golf team, church group, etc). I only had one friend birthday party as a child when I was 9 and my husband only had one when he was 6. I guess with our history and the realization that birthday parties are expensive, we didn't do one every year. Doing the math with four sons, that's a lot of parties, so we settled on two for each boy and they chose the years they wanted to do them. Grayson had a really fun one when he was 12 and then decided to have one this year.

Do you think we are horrible? What is your opinion on this? He invited 17 kids and everyone came!
We started late at about 9:30 pm, it was after the high school basketball game (which they lost) and all the guys were so hungry after playing! Actually, the girls were hungry too because they also had basketball games.
I was so impressed by all these kids, they were so polite and well behaved. They set up two Xbox stations and played against each other. They also played Guitar Hero and spoons.
They had tons of fun.........
.....yet they were quiet and respectful of our home. We trusted them and went to bed.
They all took their shoes off and I didn't even ask them to (actually, I never ask my guests to take off their shoes, it is not that hard to clean my carpet and I want them to be comfortable).
The next day when I woke up, the house was totally spotless! A few kids stayed and cleaned up! Look at how many pop cans they went through! This bin was empty at the beginning of the party!
Look at how much food they ate! Note to self: Big hits with teenagers for snacks: Cheese Puffs, Doretos, Twizzlers, bubble gum and pizza. They all stayed until 1:30 am. Grayson was so grateful that we gave this party for him; he said he had so much fun. I am really happy that it was a success. I am proud of my son that he has so many good friends and that he is well liked. The next Monday at school so many of his friends told him that they had a great time and it was an awesome party!

Just another day in the busy Westfield house!


Only two days left!


"Come little children and listen to me and I will teach you to fear the Lord." Psalm 34:11


Love, Sharon

P.S. I would like to thank all of you for your very sweet and kind comments regarding my post yesterday. I am feeling your prayers and I am feeling much better. God is good and He is showing me things right now. I am in a valley, but like a pastor once said "find the gold nuggets and jewels while you are down there in the valley". The good news is the Lord is with me wherever I'm at!


I was so blessed yesterday to have a family filled day with all of our kids, we all went to church (except Grayson - he spent the day sledding with Rachelle's family) and then we all went to Cameron's house to look at his decorations and then to Mackenzie and Brittany's house. Then we all came back to our home where Brittany and I made Christmas goodies. Then we all (even Grayson at this point) had dinner together and watched a Christmas movie. This really, really helped perk up my spirits. Spending time with the family is such a beautiful gift for a mother! Thank you again for your wonderful, supportive comments and prayers!

17 comments:

grey like snuffie said...

FREEDOM GIRLFRIEND, FREEDOM. Whatever works for any family is what works. I personally think all the crazy kid parties every year are going overboard. We had no plan but parties just happened every few years. To us our entire years of children growing up---our goal was to have a peaceful home, where we had relationships---not experiences. That's so cool to see your children with such wonderful friends.
Now all I can say, "I want a nilla wafer". :)

Thank You Jesus, for special mom moments!

oatbread said...

It looks like they had a good time , what no veggies?? lol I have never had a party for my birthday , its in early Jan. My daughter is a Dec 19 Birthday. I have given her a couple of parties but when they are younger it is hard to get kids to come to parties in December. Our friends daughter is the 27th and she always had a hard time. For my daughters party we did crafts. You sound much more cheerful today. Donna

Connie said...

I'm glad you're feeling chippier, sweet rose of sharon!! Trying hard to lift people up. It's such a wonderful life, honey!!! Enjoy the ride and not the bumps........
Smooches and Merry Christmas,
Connie

Anonymous said...

I get the same down in the dumps at Christmas too. It has got to be a empty nest thing for Mothers. This year it's worse because we actually canceled our family Christmas - for good reason. Our son (40) was very ill for two weeks around Thanksgiving and we were nervous about him traveling. So, we will go to celebrate Christmas with he and his family and then with my daughter and her family.A little off for us - we did decorate but, not a tree. I miss the excitement that my grandkids provide. I am so thankful that the Lord was with my son and I consider his getting better my Christmas gift. Having grown children at Christmas is something we never think about as they are growing up. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

luvmy4sons said...

Awesome! What an awesome time! We too never had friend parities for our boys but family parties! Still I think friend parties are great too. It looks like they had so much fun! I LOVE the food menu! PERFECT! So glad God is ministering to your heart. Blesisng to you sweet friend!

Erin said...

I think having just a couple of "friend" parties is a great idea. Kid birthday parties have gotten completely out of hand I think. And with four kids - that would be a lot of birthday partying! I saw a show (maybe an old episode of the Duggars?) where they had lots of kids and just had one big party every year where everyone's birthday was celebrated. I think that is kind of a neat idea too.

Jocelyn said...

We only did the big parties every few years too. I enjoyed them , but they are expensive.

I am going through a PRE -Empty nest and have been for two years. Lucas is gone and lives with Dad, our other kids are 17 and 16 and it's just not that exciting for them or us anymore.
However, My husband LOVES Christmas. So, I am having a HUGE party next year with MY friends to get me in the spirit of things.

Julian said...

sharon, what a cool idea! Im going to try to see if my boy who will be 13 in a few weeks would like this kind of junk food party! I do not have a blog. My address is: gomezjj2@sbcglobal.net.
I have been praying for you this weekend. It looks like everyone had a great time!
Love the thing about the nuggets.
Hugs,
Christina

cherished*vintage said...

I only had one kid birthday party when I was 9 too, and I turned out fine. hehe Our parties were always family centered. I'm not going to get caught up in the "have to have" a big kid party every year - to me family is where it's at.
-Karoline

Carrie P said...

I'm so glad you had a family celebration to participate in. It seems like Satan is working overtime to take our thoughts and actions off of Christ. Everywhere we turn he's at it again. Thanks for always including a scripture with your posts.
I know what you mean about the kids being bigger,and life changing. Our daughter at 20 got married this summer, Godly man, but no close relationship with them, another story. Our boys are 19 and 18, and trying hard to find where and what God has for them in this crazy mixed up world.
Lots of prayers!and God sees us through!

Michelle said...

Looks like the kids had such a great time!

I am so glad to know you're feeling better, Sharon ;)

Have a beautiful Monday!

Anonymous said...

Sharon so glad you are feeling a little more perky
today. Most times to write down what you feel and share with
other women helps so much.
Women can be great emotional support system
for each other. Your life is changing with going through the empty nest process. It really is hard when your children dont need you as much as
when they were little.
When you have grandbabies
that void will be filled
again.
I am sure your kids are just fine not having
a big friend filled
birthday party every year.
God Bless! Your Blog has been such a gift to me.
As an empty nester.
Pamela from NE OH

Rosemary said...

HI Sharon! When was Graysons bd? Megan turned 18 on the 19th ;) Tell him happy birthday!! We didn't give our kids yearly bd partys either. Its just too expensive. Megan went to dinner with a couple of friends on thursday night before her flight to alaska.
Ugh, i hear you on the empty nest depression :( Megans with nick till saturday, but he really wants her to stay her whole vacation. Christmas won't be the same without her :(

TattingChic said...

I'm glad you are feeling better, especially after yesterday. :) It looks like Grayson had a fun birthday party.

JanaBanana said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR SON! :) I havent been by in some time.. wanted to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!
My daugher just turned 16~

Sweet Nothings said...

Sharon,

I don't think you're horrible at all! Each family has to figure out what works best for them. I had friend birthday parties growing up but my parents also had 2 girls. So it cost them 1/2 what it might have cost you and Eric. I don't think, actually I know, that your boys are not devastated that they could only have 2 friend birthday parties. Kenzie and I will have to figure out what works best for us to. Everything works out in the end as long as you show your kids how much you love them. You've definitely done that!


Looks like they had a great time!

Love you!

Kathi said...

Sharon, This says a lot about Grayson. He has such nice friends. You and Eric are so wonderful to have this party for him. I'm so glad it went well and that the house was clean and the kids were so respectful. It looks so fun. Love ya, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...