Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Tree Confessions!

It's time to decorate the Christmas tree at the Westfield residence (For internet safety reasons to protect my family, I have never wanted to use my last name, but so many times it would be perfect to use our last name, so I decided to use a "stage" name. I like Westfield because it is the last name of the family in one of my all time favorite movies, "On Moonlight Bay" with Doris Day. I hope you don't mind!).
I have a confession to make. If you have been reading my blog for very long, you will know that I am a very family oriented person. My family means everything to me and we are a very close family. We are also a very traditional family. As I look back on our life, we do so many of the same things year after year because they are fun traditions. I feel like tradition brings security to a child's life and actually to an adult's life too! So here's my confession.........our family does not do one of the biggest traditions of the year that most families do! Our family does not decorate our Christmas tree together!
When Eric and I were newlyweds, we got our first little Christmas tree and I was disappointed that he really did not want to help decorate it; he wanted me to do it. As we had our four little boys, I had them help me, but as they grew up they didn't want to help any more. I tried to make it fun with eggnog and having Christmas music on, but slowly, one by one, they quit helping me.
We use to always go out as a family and cut our tree down, but again, as the boys grew up it was 4 boys, then 3, then 2, then 1 and this year because of our busy schedule, there were no little boys, Eric just went and cut one down by himself.
On Tuesday night Eric and Grayson brought the tree into the house and placed it ever so gingerly in the correct spot. Then Hayden helped me get the lights and the garland on the tree, but the rest was left to me.
So on Wednesday morning, on my day off, after the boys went to school, I put on my favorite Christmas CDs.
I got a yummy cup of coffee in a cute Christmas mug and I went to town!
Here's the tree at the half way mark. Oh my goodness, this took so long! I really need my helpers!
Okay, I'm finally done. I put every single ornament that we own on the tree. Now it's time for the tinsel!
I wanted to show this to you. These are very old packets of tinsel. They are made of real metal! It is such cool stuff! They don't make it like this anymore. I found about 12 of these packets at Goodwill after Christmas at 75% off and the original price was only .19 cents! Score!!!
Can you tell how neat it is? It is heavy and has movement to it.
The new stuff they make is just plastic, this stuff is fabulous! I try to make our tree look like a vintage tree from the 40s. I use colored lights, vintage and reproduction ornaments and put a little tinsel on - not too much.
I like how it turned out. It took me way longer than I planned! It took me 2-1/2 hours! I was shocked when I was done and I went into the kitchen and looked at the clock!
It looks really classic.
It also looks very old fashioned.
There is something magical about it.
I wish that we had a big tree decorating party like the kind that you see on the front of an old Christmas record album, but I don't think the guys of the house would be into it. I'm glad for the memories of when the boys were little. I also have memories of Eric holding different boys up to put up the final star and those memories warm my heart! For those of you that have little ones, enjoy the tree decorating days while you can!

"For it is written: No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him" I Corinthians 2:9

Have a wonderful Friday!

Hugs, Sharon

26 comments:

Jan said...

Your tree looks beautiful Sharon! Even though they don't help anymore, your men will appreciate how hard you worked on the tree! Simply gorgeous!

grey like snuffie said...

Beautiful. The "real" tinsel is SO COOL. I can barely remember the real stuff. Every family is different, or maybe it's the boy thing---we only have girls. I would be overwhelmed if I had to do ours alone. We have a 10 footer---I think they would find me passed out surrounded by boxes. But YEAH for you to make it special for yourself.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

It's such a beautiful tree, Sharon. I love all your vintage ornaments. I remember tinsel like that from when I was a little girl. Of course, we had those really big bulbs back then.

I'll have to decorate alone this year too because Michael is sick and conserving his energy so he can keep up with work. I'll think of you tomorrow when I do my decorating.

Happy @ Home said...

Hi Sharon,
It may have been a lot of work, but it was worth it as it looks gorgeous. The tinsel is great and I love the packaging it is in. I remember putting that metal type of tinsel on the tree when I was a kid. Good memories.
~Kim

Carol said...

Your tree is beautiful Sharon! I know what you mean about letting time slip away while decorating. I get so involved & can't find a stopping point. Enjoy your tree!
Hugs,
Carol

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Sharon! Guys help decorate a tree- when and where -- like to see this! Seriously, my question is about cats and Christmas trees as you have mentioned having house cats! We have a cat that likes to bite the string of lights and break the bulbs -- we did not put a tree up last year for safety reasons. This was not like on the Christmas Vacation movie with Chevy Chase or anything like that cat on the movie but just very concerned. So how do you have a tree with cats in the house? Anyway, I enjoy your blog-- you are very blessed with a nice close knit family-- Ours are going away on trips - skiing and China -- What happened to home for the Holidays? :o) Karyl in Illinois

Erin said...

That is a beautiful tree. I love the vintage feel of it.

Deb said...

Hi Sharon! Your tree turned out beautiful! 2 1/2 hours yes I know. That's why I put up only small trees this time. I really hate take them down. Deb

Kathi said...

Sharon, Your tree is so pretty. My confession would be that my tree never looks the way I want it to look. I don't have vintage ornaments and very many really pretty ones. We have a bunch from over the years. Each child has his own box of ornaments and wants to put them on. We do decorate together sort of, but it's messy and disorganized. I like your way better. Now that the kids are in school, maybe I can take more charge of what goes on the tree. Is that right? I sometimes get down about the way it's done. It should be a joyous time and joyous experience. When the tree looks thrown together with junky ornaments it makes me sad. I know some of the ornaments have special meaning to the kids, but they don't all look pretty. Am I weird about this? Maybe I should blog about it. Hugs, Kathi

Elena said...

What a beautiful tree! Good job. I look foward to decorating our tree with Mary. She is too small to do much but I know she is going to love it.

Mrs.Ruiz said...

Aww, your tree is beautiful, I love all your different ornaments. I have my kids decorate the tree and I just sit back and watch, but after they leave I secretly move ornaments:)

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, Your tree turned out simply beautiful. Guess what? We don't decorate for Christmas together either...in fact, my family really doesn't help at all. They have never seemed to enjoy it, and so I don't make an issue about it. I look for other ways to make Christmas traditions.I think my family enjoys seeing it all come up around them! Love, Rachel

Kim said...

Our family goes out to pick out a tree and decorate it together. The last three years David has been very intent on finding the perfect tree.
We are putting picking out our tree until next weekend since we will have family coming Christmas eve and will be staying through the following week. I want the tree to last through their visit.

Willa said...

Hi Sharon,

Your tree is so beautiful and I really love the tinsel, too. It makes me nostalgic for it. Do you find most of your finds at Goodwill? We have several of those - but not any super good thrift stores here.

Anyway, Sharon, I felt the same way you did about trimming the tree. As our 3 sons got older, they really balked at trimming the tree - but did so and then one by one left. So now my husband helps me get the lights on - and hands me the ornaments with the hooks on. I do the rest.

Each of our sons took their ornaments with them that we had bought for them every year. Now they hang on their trees - that is exciting to me.

Now, I buy a special ornament when each of our grandchildren are born for our tree and we buy Hallmark ornaments every year for each of our grandchildren's trees. That brings me so much joy. This year our 3 year old granddaughter is in dance class so I bought the Daddy Bear ornament with his daughter in a tutu. I try to buy ornaments that are appropriate for what they have done that year. This year I had two "First Christmas Ornaments" to buy - next year I will have one as well.

Sharon, you are ahead of me - we have the tree up and have had it up for a week now - I will decorate it on Sunday. This year has been a blur as we had Thanksgiving and tomorrow is our middle daughter-in-law, Kendra's, baby shower. Her mom and I are giving it - it will be 50 ladies.
So after that I will think more about Christmas.

Willa

nannykim said...

Hi--it is the same with us. I usually do the tree myself and I even change what I put on it---I don't usually do the same thing each year. It would be nice to have another tree to use the old ornaments on! I wonder if that old tinsle has lead in it--not that it will matter right now, but perhaps when you get grand children ;-). The tree looks nice and old fashioned. I am always amazed at how time flies when decorating or when moving furniture!! Have a nice weekend.

adsgram said...

Why "Mrs. Westfield", your tree looks just lovely! I, also, am a solo tree decorator. I only have one son, and he outgrew helping me with it years ago...his wife now decorates theirs with the little ones. My husband always did the lights, but last year we went artificial. I know, I know! But it is so much better for us because I host 2 Christmas parties BEFORE the 15th every year, and by the time Christmas morning rolled around we had a sad looking tree for us. So hubby puts it together and I am on my own! I just wanted to say that the pictures on the record albums are nice, but I bet that you will find that most of the Mrs. W's in the world are solo decorators, and the Misters 'traditionally' appreciate our part. SO it's a tradition all it's own!

Happy holidays to all of you!

Lynne

Cottage Contessa said...

Oh Sharon, it's gorgeous! I had always done the Christmas decorating by myself too until our daughter was old enough, and now she loves to help, in fact this year she did the entire decorating of both of our trees all by herself and she was thrilled! Wishing you a wonderful weekend friend!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Mimi said...

Sharon,
all your effort was well worth it...you tree is absolutely beautiful...

Sharon Kay said...

Belated birthday wishes to Grayson and your tree look beautiful, it reminds me of the tree of yesterday with the silver tinsel. You have a lovely family and memories is what keeps a family close forever. I have lost my Mother, father and only sibling, my sister. Those memories and traditions are what I think of every year at Christmas. Blessings to you and your family

Brenda said...

I know how you feel. My hubby has never gotten into it either.I wished I had helper I jut feel so worn out.
I love your tree by the way. You did great.

Sondra said...

Your tree is so cute. We did a vintage tree one year. I bought all kinds of vintage ornaments on ebay. My boys don't have any interest in helping me anymore either. They used to all help out and hang their own special ornaments. This year it was just me and Austin. Gotta love that kid! He does everything with me :)

TattingChic said...

That tinsel brings back a flood of warm Christmas memories! I'm sorry that you feel badly about not having your helpers.

Stephanie said...

That made me think of my grandma's tree. I will always have special memories of her and Christmas!

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sharon.. What a beautiful tree!! I took on the tradition from Dad. He always decorated the christmas tree every year, and in my home I am the one who does it lol. They go off to bed and when they get up they come down stairs and love to see what mom created this time lol. But they are grown and my 10 yr old helps when she can.I wanted to come say hello I love seeing your creations.

Hugz Lorie

jennifer said...

Sharon it looks SO pretty.

I hope that you and your family are having a blessed Christmas season.

Rosemary said...

Sharon, your tree is so pretty! This year i've only put up my red vintage look tree. Its only 4 ft tall. I"ve been too lazy to get in the garage attic to dig out the 8 ft primitive tree. I REALLY want a really tall tree next year so i can use all my ornaments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...