Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas at our house.......

I took these pictures moments before our guests arrived last Saturday night for our Christmas party.
Eric and I worked hard all week to decorate our home for the Christmas season and it is so nice to have it all done! Now we get to sit back and enjoy it! I love to greet our guests with these luminaries that I place on the walkway up to our front door.
They are old cheese graters! This is so simple, you just put a tea light into a small jar and place the grater on top. They light the walkway so nicely!
Once you get to the front porch the first thing you see is this cute little ceramic snowman in front of two old enamelware pots filled with water, cranberries and floating candles.
This is such an easy way to achieve a very festive look!
Here's the front door with our Christmas wreath and other Christmas touches.
I like this little elf guy waving his arm to greet our guests!
I laid an old red plaid blanket on the back of the couch and have other bits and pieces of greenery and seasonal things.
I have some old ice skates sitting and a vintage thermos sitting there as if someone just returned from a fun time out ice skating and having hot cocoa with friends!
Here's another view of the front door area with the cute little shelf and planter that my father made me many Christmases ago. I have it filled with silk poinsettias and flanked with candles.
I have lots of fun decorating this cute little shelf seasonally, I just love it.
I stencilled this sign a few years ago; it says "God bless us everyone".
When you come in the front door you see this nutcracker standing at attention next to the live poinsettia. Every year Eric's business associate delivers a large beautiful poinsettia the first week in December. I think this is such a great gift; it not only is such a wonderful treat, but we get to enjoy it the whole month long! We really appreciate it!
I decorated our stair case with ribbon and large plastic ornaments in reds, golds and whites. I used to use glass ornaments, but being on the stairs, they got knocked off quite often and broke, so I switched to plastic!
On the little entry way table I have my feather tree filled with vintage Christmas lights and old glass beads. I also have a beautiful glass globe with the nativity scene in it.
Here's the living room with the beautiful tree and a cozy fire!
This year I put electric, plastic, light up candles in the windows on each side of the fireplace and I love how it looks. What a cozy little spot!
On the mantle I simply have a red and white poinsettia garland all across the top and have a few vintage village pieces tucked in here and there. I keep the candelabra there year round, but look so special when lit! Our stockings are all hung with care and if you notice, there is an extra one hanging with Mackenzie's this year! :0)
I have a little vintage light up church on top of this armoire along with more poinsettias.
Now onto the dining room.
For the centerpiece I used three silver trays that I hot glued together and then I filled them with vintage Christmas ornaments. I spray painted four brass deer silver and have them on each side of the arrangement.
On this little table I put a few silver and white things.
I filled this old silver metal basket with cool old silver ornaments and topped it with a neat Winter Wish star that I found on clearance last year.
Ohhhh.......auhhhh........aren't they pretty!
He is also a relatively new member to the Christmas decorations! I think he is so funky and fun! I really don't know what he is supposed to be, perhaps a little snowman?
I tied these really cool old bells on the dining room light.
These bells are just fabulous. They are made of old composition paper mache and are so delicate and old. I found them at Goodwill and I don't know how they survived being kicked around there! Now they are in safe hands!
Here's the last photo for today. This is our buffet in the dining room. I have two white reindeer on either side of my crystal water urn which I filled with old Christmas balls. I got the deer on clearance after Christmas last year. They were at Goodwill and 75% off! They were dark brown and just didn't look right, so I spray painted them white and now they blend in perfectly!

Thank you for coming along on my tour. Next on the tour will be the family room, kitchen and other rooms.

"For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone." Psalm 86:10

Merry Christmas, Sharon

18 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I really love your welcoming candles outside. That cheese grater idea was so clever. And just today I was thinking of getting a poinsettia to sit next to our nutcracker. You've convinced me that it will be really cute!

The other decorations look so festive too.

Erin said...

The cheese graters are cute cute cute! I have a little group of three on a bench inside, but I'd never thought of using them as luminaries! You are making me want to visit Goodwill. I've never had any lucky, but you find such neat things there. Beautiful decorations!

Sharon said...

WOW! I love all your decorations! and Yes, the cheese graters are such a cleaver idea!

Amy said...

Can I come spend Christmas at your house? It is so pretty and cozy! You did a great job decorating!

Linda said...

Hi Sharon..everything looks so beautiful. I love your walkway and your porch look so inviting. Wonderful table centerpiece...I see so many sweet treasures there and the deer are a perfect finishing touch. Hugs, Linda

Julian said...

i love everything! the cheese graters are such an awesome idea! Im going to keep my eyes peeled this year, and try that one next year! Your house looks so beautiful!
Thanks for sharing!
Christina

grey like snuffie said...

Wow, I am in awe of all your beautiful hard work. You're very creative and have a good eye for putting things together.

Stephanie said...

I love the cheese graters, what a great idea!!
Your home is beautiful, thank you for inviting is in!!
Have a great evening :)
Stephanie

luvmy4sons said...

You are the hostess with the mostess! Your home is beyond gorgeous! So warm and inviting!

nannykim said...

Ok, all of us bloggers will just have to come to your town to visit your Good Will. Hey, you could do a great advertisement for it! Actually we have one here that opened last year. I have mostly found books and some tops---

Your front outer door belongs at my house!!! Yes it does!!! We have spindles everywhere!!

TattingChic said...

Your home looks so lovely all ready for that party last weekend! What fabulous decorating! The cheese grater idea is really cute. The strategically placed lights in your home make it look dreamy!

Cottage Contessa said...

Sharon sweetie, you and Eric did such a wonderful job getting your beautiful home ready. I love all the little touches and attention to detail that you think of. Absolutely can not wait to see more photo's! Wishing you a happy day!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Ashley @ Domestic Fashionista said...

I love the floating cranberries...what a good idea!

Rosemary said...

sharon, oh my, i LOVE the cheese grader idea and the enamel ware bowls outside! You have such great ideas! You home is so warm and inviting! Wanna come decorate mine? LOL! Rosemary

Elena said...

Just lovely. Your house looks so festive and fun!

mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Just beautiful ~ wow! :o) What great fun it would be to visit your home. Love all the vintage stuff. Can't wait to see more pics!

Hugs,
Mardell

YaYa's Funhouse said...

awesome decorations

Kathi said...

Sharon, Your home is just beautiful! I love the way you decorate. You have so many special touches and rare items. I love the way you display them. Love, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...