Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas at our home.........

It's Christmas morning and we made a big huge mistake! We forgot and Eric made a fire, so Santa couldn't come! Just kidding! :0)
We started our day with Eric and I waking up first and we turned on all the cozy lights, got the coffee going and Eric made a fire.
I busily filled all the stockings. The way I do it is, a few days before Christmas I prepare their stockings, put the stuff in shopping bags and write their names on the bags. On Christmas morning I quickly fill them and it is fast and easy.
Notice how lovely the stockings are hung by the fire with care! It looks like someone filled them with love........right? Well below is my stocking..........
.......LOL! My husband is so funny! This is my stocking! It started out many, many years ago when we were newlyweds and I didn't even get a stocking from him. I finally mentioned to him that it kind of hurt my feelings and I would love to get stocking presents. Well, for some reason he never fills my stocking, he just has all the stuff in a bag and either puts the bag on the mantle or he'll do what he did this year, he laid my stocking on top of the bag. I just laugh and have learned to appreciate the gesture. It's one more reason why I love my big guy!
We woke the boys up and they came down stairs to get their stockings. It's sure not like the old days when they would race down the stairs! We had to keep bugging them to get up! Cameron and Hayden played Santa and passed out the gifts.
Here's Eric opening a gift from Hayden.
Here's me with a beautiful pillow that Cameron gave me. Our tradition is that Eric always starts and he opens the gift that Hayden gave him, then I open the gift Hayden gave me, etc... all down the line. Then Eric opens the gift that Grayson bought him, then I open the gift Grayson bought me, etc... We all watch as each person opens their gift. I love it because it is slow and we all really soak it in and enjoy it.
Now it's Cameron's turn. I am so proud of my boys because they all have such generous hearts and they are really good at picking excellent and thoughtful gifts! I think one thing that we did to encourage generosity was when they were tiny we took them to the dollar store and they each got to pick out gifts for all their brothers and for us. They were so excited to shop and for all of us to open the gifts that THEY bought! Grayson holding his favorite present from us, it is an axle for his new go-kart.
Here's Hayden opening his favorite gift a new PSP with three games and the accessories. We cut way back on our Christmas budget this year, and he really wanted a PSP, so we bought a used one that was in perfect condition and we got such a great deal! He told us that he wouldn't mind a used one because that was the only way we could afford it this year! I'm so glad that my kids are reasonable and not picky!
I just had to show this funny picture! Cameron bought Eric the new Scene It game featuring Seinfeld (his favorite TV show) and he was trying to read the directions with a pair of new reading glasses that I tucked in his stocking! He didn't even bother to take the tag off and he looked so funny reading with that tag hanging off the front of the glasses!
After we were finished opening gifts we started getting ready for breakfast. I set the table with my Goodwill Christmas dishes, Goodwill napkins and Goodwill angel napkin rings! I am guessing the plates were around $1.00 each, the napkins .25 cents each and the napkin rings .25 cents, so $1.50 per table setting!
It is tradition that Eric makes the big french toast, bacon and egg breakfast on Christmas morning. It was soooo delicious!
Mackenzie and Brittany had their own sweet little first Christmas together as a married couple and then they came to our house for a late breakfast. Here's the whole family! I love this picture!
After breakfast Mackenzie and Brittany opened their stockings.
Then Brittany played Santa and handed out their gifts to us.
We watched them open their gifts from Eric and I and the boys.
We had such a fun morning. I thought it would be really hard not having Mackenzie there on Christmas morning, but it wasn't that bad at all. It seemed really natural and it probably helped knowing they were coming over for breakfast.
After watching Mackenzie and Brittany open their gifts, we all got busy and cleaned the house and we prepared a big ham dinner. Eric's parents arrived at about 3:00. Here's Brittany sitting with Eric's mother, Alice and Eric's sister's hubby, Jim.
Here's Eric sitting with his father, Jim and our son Hayden awaiting the big dinner!

We had some mishaps and realized that the bag of potatoes we bought some how got left at the store, so Cameron quickly made some instant potatoes for us. Then the ham did not produce enough juices to make gravy, so I had to open up some cans of sausage gravy. I also realized that I didn't plan on a fruit salad, so Brittany quickly whipped up ambrosia based on the ingredients we found in the fridge! Regardless of the mishaps, the meal turned out delicious!
Here's another funny one I had to throw in! Eric's mother gave her daughter, Stacey (Eric's sister) an old gold wedding band that once belonged to their great grandmother. It is a family heirloom and very special. We thought their was an inscription, but it was too small to read, so Mackenzie cleverly put on three pair of cheater glasses and tried to read it. We decided it was too small and gave up! Any way, this is a great picture!
Like I have said before, no matter what kind of event, whenever there are brothers, there is always a little brotherly love that quickly turns into brotherly wrestling!
Eric's sister, Stacey and her husband Jim.
More fun times exchanging and opening gifts with the family.
We had some reflective time where each one of us shared a memorable Christmas. It was really special and fun.
Here I am with Brittany and Alice as we sit and enjoy Christmas day. After dinner we played Eric's new game (Scene It), which was fun and had pie. What a wonderful day!
You can barely tell, but if you look out the window, you can see that the Lord blessed us with a beautiful gift of a white Christmas! It started snowing during the day with big huge flakes! It was so special and so beautiful!

Well, that's our Christmas for 2008! God has truly blessed us with a wonderful big family, a warm house, good food and wonderful fellowship!

"Thus you will be enriched in all things and in every way, so that you can be generous, which causes us to bring forth thanksgiving to God." II Corinthians 9:11

Hugs, Sharon

18 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

First off I am envious of your white Christmas. LOL! You home looked so lovely. I was anxious as I read to hear how it worked out with your married son and his wife. So glad you ALL were together...perfectidea to have them join you for a late breakfast. God is good!

grey like snuffie said...

sounds like God worked out new things well---I too am a little envious of the snow. We haven't had a good snow yet. Loved peeking into your Christmas day! The tag on the glasses...TOO FUNNY! Our stockings have become the girls favorite part of Christmas and I made ours when they were little---I have been informed that we need new ones...BIGGER ones for next year. :)

Amy said...

What a lovely Christmas morning you had! That is funny about your husband and the stocking. :)

We made the mistake of putting chocolate in the stockings and then turning on the fireplace. We quickly had to kill the fire because of the chocolate hanging above it. So another reason you can turn on the fire...:)

Sunflower Farm said...

What a wonderful Christmas. It is fun to decorate the whole house. I also took our tree down. It is a bit sad to see it go.I have a question (if it is to personal don't answer)In your blog and others I read you have quiet "devotional time" what is it you do. You could email me personally sparkleoo5@yahoo.com. Maybe it is what I need? Have a wonderful New Year best wishes

Elena said...

I just loved the first picture of the fire and the stockings. Looks like you had a lovely day. We did stockings this year and I had to remind my hubby to get me a stocking stuffer. He is very sweet but very forgetful:)

Mary said...

Sharon,

It looks like you had a wonderful Christmas. I enjoyed the photos and hearing about all the fun you had. I especially like the tradition of opening one gift at a time.

Happy New Year to you and your family. I wish you love, laughter, good health and prosperity.

Blessings,
Mary

Sweet Nothings said...

We had such a good time celebrating both Christmas eve and Christmas day with you guys!

Kenzie and I will talk about New Years Eve and get back with you!

Can't wait to see the pictures from our shopping day.

Love you!

Jan Parrish said...

LOL. What a great post. What a wonderful Christmas!

mardell said...

Hi Sharon,
Wow, what wonderful pictures of a lovely Christmas! :o) The fireplace w/the stockings looks like a Hallmark picture. Had to chuckle about your stocking though...LOL Can you believe I've never had a stocking? When we were little we didn't have a fireplace, so that was my mom's excuse for not having any! I make sure my kids have them though (with or without a fireplace!)

Do you print out all of the pictures that you post here for your albums? Just curious.

Hugs,
Mardell

Ashley @ Domestic Fashionista said...

So cute! Great pictures...your husband cracks me up...the stocking, the glasses...lol. Looks like you all had a wonderful day! :)

Jan said...

What a beautiful day you had! It looks as if everyone had a wonderful time!

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell! I am glad that even though you didn't get stockings that you did it for your kids! :0) As far as my pictures......No, I don't print them and I am overwhelmed with having to deal with getting all the best ones to Walmart to develop them. I set up an account to email them to them, but it was time consuming. It might be better if I put them on a disk and then take them down. This is one of my new years resolutions!

Hugs, Sharon

Sharon said...

Dear Sunflower farm...I will visit your blog and say this, but I wanted to write it here for the other readers. When I say quiet time with the Lord or my devotional time, to me it is just spending some quiet time about half and hour to an hour reading God's word and spending time in prayer talking to my Father in Heaven. I have a prayer journal that I write in and then a lot of times I also read a little in some type of book about being a Godly woman (wife, mother, friend, child of God, etc.). I prefer to do it early in the morning, but you can do it any time and it really makes a difference in your walk with the Lord!

God bless you!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sharon! I have burgandy white hunter green
and blue in our kitchen formal dining room breakfast nook great room
and formal living room.
So I love the colors in your home.
Pamela NE OH

Sondra said...

Beautiful pictures. We always take our time and enjoy each gift too. So much better that way. Austin said that one year we should all just run and open everything at the same time! He watched too much tv.LOL! The picture of Eric with the tag on his glasses is so cute. I am glad you all had such a wonderful Christmas.
Oh and the past three times I have come by to read, your music player is stretched out across your page and covers your photos. You might want to fix that. :)

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

It looks like such a wonderful family Christmas. What a gift that Eric relieves you of the cooking for Christmas morning. And I know that it was hard for you not to have all your boys there first thing, but I'm really glad to hear that Mackenzie and Brittany had their own private Christmas. That will be so important for their relationship. And how cool that you were all able to be flexible and innovate when you discovered some things were missing for dinner.

TattingChic said...

Thank you for inviting me into your home for Christmas morning! What lovely family traditions you have. I love the way you do your stockings! How organized of you to do it that way. I'll have to remember that. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs said...

I love your fireplace and the pillow you received from Cameron is beautiful...lovely place setting, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...