Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Am I out of control????

I am a bit nervous and ashamed to show you guys these pictures! On Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, Hayden and I tackled getting all of the Christmas stuff out of the attic. Here's a darling picture of my sweet Hayden helping me pull the boxes out of the attic.
I quickly want to show you this picture. See the big hole cut in the wall? This was space that was always in our home (which is 30 years old), but it was sealed up! This is space behind two of the boys bedrooms upstairs. I knew there was dead space behind the wall, so several years ago I asked my hubby if he could investigate it and see if it was usable space we could use for extra storage. After making a small hole and peeping through and seeing there was indeed a crawl space in there, he got out his Sawzall and cut into the wall! Sure enough there is this long 17' x 4' crawl space behind the walls in the eves. My hubby proceeded to cut a hole big enough for us to crawl through and we stored all the Christmas stuff in there. Then he made an insulated door to cover it up and it works perfectly! A girl can always use more attic space......right?

Okay....now back to the subject at hand.........my hidden shame. Are you ready for this?
Aauugghh! Do you think that perhaps, well, kinda, sorta, just maybe, just a little that I perhaps have too much Christmas stuff???? LOL! Oh my goodness, it is overwhelming! No wonder that when the day comes to decorate I procrastinate. This is ridiculous!
The truth is though, it's not as bad as it looks. A lot of the boxes have one big item in them. Another thing is that over the years, if I didn't put something out, instead of dealing with it and throwing it out, I just put it back in the attic. This year I am determined to through unused decorations out and I have already gotten rid of about four boxes. I am going to condense and get rid of more too.
I have gotten my decorating about 90% done, I just have a few small touches and it looks so fun and festive! However, I am tired of being a slave to all of this junk and I keep thinking, "what will I do when I no longer have a little elf to help me get it out of the attic?" Maybe for a New Year's resolution I should sign up for Junker's Anonymous!

Do I have any kindred spirits out there who have as much as I have?

Here is a good scripture for me today.........

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

Truthfully, I know that I am storing up treasure in heaven and I do not LOVE my treasures and worship them, I just like them and have too many! I'm working on it though!

Hugs, Sharon

18 comments:

Happy @ Home said...

You have a kindred spirit in me. I have that much (or more) and felt the same way as you this year. Yesterday the Kidney Foundation picked up several boxes from my front porch of things I never use and decided I am tired of dealing with. Fortunately my husband brings it all down from the attic and then I put it all in place. If he didn't do that I would probably have to get rid of even more.

I look forward to seeing your house all decorated for the season.

Kathi said...

Sharon, I know you quite well and I see in your life exactly what you wrote; truly you are storing up treasures in Heaven. You worship Jesus. You depend on Him and trust Him. You are enjoying these fun things and it is delightful to visit your home when all of it is up for the season.

I have about a 6th of what you have stored away, but I have a huge barn to keep it in. I sometimes wish I had more of it, and the talent which you use to display it. Have a very happy Wednesday. I can't wait to see how you display everything. Love you so much. Kathi

Mimi said...

Mom, when all of your little elfs are gone from home and only you and hubby are left to deal with all the stuff... you will leave more of it in the attic than you put out...but enjoy it while you still have the help dealing with the process of decorating!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,

Im so happy you and yous had a wonderfully, blessed thanksgiving- God is so good! =)

Ohhh I don't think all your chirstmas decor is bad especially if some stuff is just stuff that you will not use anymore. You are a very busy wife, and mommy so it's natural that stuff like that might accumulate especially when as wives and moms we are seeking to put our first responsibilities first on the list which is God and family as you do. I think you are being a great example by showing this because as moms sometimes we won't be able to get to things like that but it's okay because we'll eventually get to it as you are doing. our hearts desire is to eventually get to it but Sometimes we just haven't gotten to it because other things have taken top priority as they should and thats all okay. ;) Im so thankful for a God that deeply knows our hearts and desires and He still loves us no matter what because of His son and he genuinly cares about every detail in our life small or big- thats so awesome! =)

When my hubby and I first got married we didn't have a lot of money for our first chirstmas to decorate much so my mom inlaw gave me some of her old things she wasn't ussing anymore and said if I wanted to use them great if not just through it out. So I used some and I was so greatful for our little place to be somewhat decorated for christmas. Maybe your daughter inlaw might like some things you can pass a long, just an idea.

I look forward to your cozy christmas pics of your home all decorated, what a beautiful time to remember our kings birth! I just love this time of year and I am thankful for the Christ in Christmas! =)

God bless you with a most beautiful day! =)

~Joy

....I tried your apple pie filling recipe and it is just the best!!! I thank you so very much for your sharing, kind heart to freely share your yummy recipes!

God bless!!!

grey like snuffie said...

When you join my world of empty nesting there is only one rule---ALWAYS KEEP A CELL PHONE WITH YOU. :) Especially for crawling in the attic by yourself moments. Then you can call for help. :)

When we went downstairs to get the Christmas stuff our girls commented on how much more Christmas stuff there was than any other season. So maybe you are like me and it's not ALL stuff, just lots of Christmas. I too desire to clean through instead of just packing it all back up. I have enough ornaments to decorate another two trees, which I have done before.

And from just the little bit I've seen as I peeked into your world here---I think you are doing well with storing up the right kind of treasures.

luvmy4sons said...

You might have been nervous but I am frankly thrilled you showed me your attic! You're human after all! LOL! I bet your house is absolutely lovely! Blessings to you!

Linda said...

Sharon....I've got way too much too. Each year I donate things I didn't use and then proceed to buy more pretties during the year. I'm addicted to Christmas decorations, but at least what I'm buying are smaller items.
Can't wait to see your home all decked out....I'm decorating too and this weekend we're putting up the tree.....hugs, Linda

Michelle said...

Oh, I am looking very forward to seeing your house all decorated for the holidays! I've got our tree up already and have done a little bit of decorating so far. Our girls share a bedroom downstairs...the basement is finished and has a family room with a gas fireplace (very cozy) so that's kind of 'their' area. My in-laws gave us their artificial tree when they got a new one so the girls get to have their own tree downstairs! They each had a friend over to help decorate it... looks really cute :)

Have a great day!

Mrs.Ruiz said...

I have a little box and a gift bag full, thats it:)

My Grandkids ROCK said...

Sharon, Once again when you write about yourself, I feel like you are talking about me. Me Christmas stach is overwhelming. Now that both of my girls are married, I share with them. But then that just leaves me with more room to buy more stuff. I havent's even completely put away all the wedding stuff for goodness sake. I need a new project after Christmas tree harvest is over and I think ORGANIZATION is one of them. Have a great day. Pam

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Ooh my goodness. No, we've trimmed down our Christmas decorating by quite a lot. We have a four foot tree, one wreath, a big box for our creche, and two large banker's boxes of stuff. But you have to remember that we don't have children. That makes a difference in how much Christmas stuff people do, I think.

I hope you have a good time putting it all out.

Sarah said...

I can not wait to see your home all decorated. You do such a fabulous job and I only wish I had part of your Christmas decorations. I am still gathering a little every year though.

Rosemary said...

haha Sharon, you have a kindred spirit in me too! LOL! I've been dreading putting mine out too. Rosemary

Judy said...

I finally went through all my decorations last year and weeded out the ones that were either broken or I just didn't use any more. My girls were quite happy as they usually help me put everything up.

Jan Parrish said...

How quickly it all builds up. I've restricted my Christmas decorations to 5 bins. When I change my decor, I donate the decorations or give them away. It's such a blessing to help others in need and freeing to eliminate the clutter.

Cottage Contessa said...

Sweetie I don't think it's bad for you to have a lot of Christmas decorations because you obviously get a lot of enjoyment from them, and the way in which you display these beautiful items is a real blessing to your dear family and all of us in blogland too. I am trying to build my collection of decorations and hope to one day have as much as you! Wishing you a truly lovely day dear friend!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Sondra said...

My Christmas stuff used to look the same way. In the last two years I have gone thru and gotten rid of what I do not use. It makes it so much less stressful when it comes time to pull it out and decorate. I am sure you will come up with some fabulous idea for storing it all neatly :)

Joyfull said...

Kindred spirit here! I should have taken pictures as my boys were bringing down the decorations. They counted 11 boxes, (not all big ones!), I am trying to weed out some and like you find many which are great bargains. Decorating is the attitude of creating a home atmosphere our families will treasure always.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...