Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What do you do after your son gets married?

First, before I start my post today, I wanted to show you these gorgeous flowers. These are the beautiful flowers from my son's wedding ceremony! I was very touched when Brittany's matron of honor, Alisha, came up to me after the wedding and asked me if I wanted them. Of course my answer was yes! They lasted almost two weeks and I enjoyed them every day! Okay, now on to my regularly scheduled post!

A few weeks ago I shared with all of you out there (my blogging friends) that I tend to get the blues after a big event in my life. I have done this on many, many occasions. I try so hard to not do it, but it takes over.
I have a vivid memory of laying on the couch at Mrs. Shelton's house when I was babysitting her daughter and crying my eyes out because I had just graduated from the 6th grade. I was going to miss my teacher Mr. Knight and all my friends in the 6th grade. I would never go to that elementary school again. I laid there and cried. Come on now....... how many 6th graders do you know that have those kind of feelings?
Any way, since then I have gotten sad many times after big events including my high school graduation, my own wedding, after my children were born, after Christmas, when summer is over, when my sons graduated, etc. So I was prepared that I might get hit with the blues bad after my son, Mackenzie, got married two weeks ago. I prayed and prayed about this and I asked all you out there in blogland to pray for me. Then I made a plan!
I asked my husband if we could drive somewhere and have a special husband and wife time on the Monday after the wedding. He said we could, so the plan was to drive to the big city of Portland to see our youngest son, Hayden's football game and to make a few stops along the way. So on Monday after the boys went to school we jumped in the car and headed down the road!
First we stopped at my sister Kathi's house to pick some apples out of their apple orchard. Here she is standing out in the orchard. Isn't she so cute!
Here's my darling hubby up on the ladder picking apples. He makes me proud that he wants to get apples every year so he can make applesauce! Click here to read about when he made applesauce last year. I was planning on helping, but when we got there it was cold and a drizzling a little, so Eric said, "you just stay inside and visit with your sister." I have such a sweet husband!
We had some company spying on us when we were in the orchard!
Kathi said that they feed the cows apples all the time, which they LOVE, so they hang out by the apple trees waiting and hoping to get some apples!
There is beauty everywhere I look out here! Look at the beautiful colors of these apples!
This was a perfect way to keep me from getting the blues.
While Eric was picking apples, Kathi and I sat in her cozy kitchen and had some coffee and talked all about the wedding! We had a great time!
There is a magical feeling in the orchard. The apples are so pretty and smell so good too! I love this picture!
He's finally done. He filled two of these boxes with apples!
It is so generous of my sister and her hubby, Stacey, to share their bumper crop this year!
We loaded the apples, said goodbye to Kathi and then we hit the road again! We planned on stopping for a special lunch somewhere. We had a great drive. Aren't the trees gorgeous! I love to take drives in the fall.
We stopped at this restaurant called Boon's Treasury, which is a McMenamins restaurant.
If you are not familiar with McMenamins restaurants, they are wonderful places. They always set them up in old historical buildings. This one used to be a general store in the 1800s and then it was a pub in the 70s.
We had a delicious lunch and you guessed it right, we talked a lot about the wedding and how happy we are for our son and his new bride, Brittany.
Eric took this picture of me and it turned out blurry. It's the only one of me, so I'm posting it anyway! :0)
We ordered yummy huge burgers!
Then we drove some more up to our son's game, which, sadly, they lost. But we were so glad to be there watching him and supporting him. Then we headed back home and talked some more about all our kids. It was really fun!
This was a perfect way to cap off our son's wedding. I still got the blues, but they hit over the next few days and they weren't too bad. I want to make sure that you understand that I am absolutely thrilled and so happy for Mackenzie and Brittany, these weird blue feelings just creep up and I think it has a lot to do with my empty nest syndrome.
I took the whole week off, so when Eric went back to work the next day and the boys were at school, I made myself a yummy lunch and rented a chick flick!
I lit the candles too! Then I put my feet up and relaxed. I am so thankful that my sad times ended up being just a few hours and then life got busy again and got back to normal! Plus, I concentrated on the fact that I have so many things to be grateful for. I want to thank all of you out there who prayed for me during this time, I really felt your prayers and I got through the transition just fine! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

"...For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future..." Jeremiah 29:11

Love, Sharon

20 comments:

Kathi said...

Sharon, I'm so much like you! It amazes me. We must be sisters or something!!! LOL

I cried and cried too when I left sixth grade. I cried my eyes out when Mrs. Emmory moved over Thanksgiving weekend. I just knew nothing could ever be good again, but it was. I cried after high school graduation for that reason too.

I love all your beautiful pictures. I like the way you know yourself so well, that you prepare and plan so that you will get through it. I think it's smart to do that. I also think it's healthy to go through it and then move on and be thankful the way you are doing. I love you, Kathi

Kelli said...

I completely understand, Sharon. I'm the same way. It's especially bad after Christmas, so each year Phillip thinks of little things to do the week before the new year to help me transition back to normal. :0) It looks like your family did the same thing for you and I'm glad the blues weren't too bad. (((hugs)))
~Kelli

littleladyboutique said...

You are an inspiration for us. :):):) I am not near that stage yet...but have a 5, 6.5 and 8 year old and although I enjoy them throuroughly......I miss'em being little. Thank you for writing this post. :):):):)

luvmy4sons said...

I so understand how you feel. I can get that way too after big events. Though I tend to have a feeling of anxiety sweep over me. Battling that today after yesterday and working the polls for 16 hours and the election turning out the way it did. I loved your pictures and pray God surround you with His peace and joy as you move on into a new phase of life with a son married.

My Grandkids ROCK said...

Sharon, I understand your blues. I can tell you what works for me. When I get dressed every day, I put on perfume called "Happy." It is like my magic spray. It reminds me that happiness is a choice and I choose to be happy each day. Also, when I am feeling sad or blue I like to do something to make someone else happy and it always comes back to me. Tell your husband how much you appreciate him EVERYDAY. Tell you boys that too. Make yourself happy today and know that I read your blog daily and that you make me happy, too. Have a great day. Pam

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm glad you did something positive for yourself. Spending time with your beloved husbands sounds like the perfect antidote to empty nest blues.

A Romantic Porch said...

Sharon, I really understand. I do that too. I try to reach out to others to keep my mind off myself. xorachel

Sarah said...

What a great post. I am only 26 but I have the blues after major events as well. I had them right after having all my children and it happens after big holidays as well. I like the idea of a special day with the husband. Sounds like it worked for you. Have a great day!

Amy said...

I am the same way as you. I am glad you and your husband could get away on a little trip. I will remember that one.

I love reading your blogs so much. After having 4 sons myself, you are an inspiration to me. If we never meet this side of Heaven, I hope to hug your neck when we are with the King. I have learned so much from you already. Thank you!

Karol said...

Hi Sharon,
I guess a lot of us get the blues after events. It's kind of hard to pin down the feeling but it's just like such a let-down feeling. I'm truly already dreading my oldest's graduation day from high school in June...wanna come over to Memorial Coliseum and cry with me???? Oh and congrats on a new daughter!!!
Karol

~~Deby said...

I am like this too..I cried every first day of school..when they left for college...when my siblings moved on...anything and everything..then it passes...next weekmy dh is on some vacation time and some short rides like yours look wonderful...think we are going to FIND the Seattle Goodwill as a field trip..hehehe !!
and even Christmas our home since he will be home to help...I know it is early and pretty crazy...but tell me...WHO...makes the rules on Christmas....to each his own, right...and my shopping is 95% done(some from Thrift Stores) and they need a place to be stored...so what if I have to take the Swiffer to them...
oops I am rambling on your sweet blog...
I love the pics...and think Kathi must be just the sweetest person...must run in your family.
Deby

Mrs.Ruiz said...

You handled your blues very well, :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sharon
I understand completely what yur saying about the blues. I feel the same way. I think it's all about worrying that the good times won't last and when something so wonderful like a wedding or Christmas is over we feel it all the more. I give into my feelings a little because I think they come from having a big, caring heart. After I while I say to myself enough! I count my blessings, I pray and I put my trust in the Lord. He quiets my heart and tells me it's okay, be at peace.

Sending you His love and blessing,
Erica

nana said...

Oh my goodness Sharon. Is that restaurant in Salem? It looks exactly like the one my husbands aunt and uncle used to own! I'm so glad you and your hubby were able to be together and beat the blues!

edie+steve said...

Sharon,
I love your cheerful site and I am so happy for you and your husband. Your son is darlin' and so is his new bride. How do we live with the changes? I guess I soon find out with my oldest graduating from high school this year. I'm already a crying mess! Thanks for visiting.

Michelle said...

Hi Sharon~

Glad you & Eric were able to enjoy a special day away together...your pictures are so nice!

I think you're probably right about the whole empty nest syndrome thing; as to why you feel the way you do at times. Even though our oldest still lives at home, I know the time is passing quickly when he no longer will. And ya know, he is gone so much of the time anymore - so I can relate a little bit. I miss him spending time at home and connecting with Tyler the way we used to. Ah, the changes life brings....

Bless ya girl,
Michelle

P.S. Chemo went well today...I am feeling good!

Amy Ellen said...

What lovely pictures and the flowers, just stunning. It looks like you and your husband had a good time. Thanks for sharing such wonderful pictures.
Amy

Sharon said...

I just want to thank all of you for leaving such sweet comments. It is very helpful to hear that perhaps these feelings could be normal since the majority of you say you also get them. Thank you for your encouragment! I hope all of you have a blessed evening! I will try to pop by all of your blogs to say hello!

Hugs, Sharon

Judy said...

Oh boy, do I understand how you feel and I don't think it has to just be when a son marries, it was doubly hard for me when my daughter married and then moved almost 400 miles away. I think you did the best thing by taking the day and spending it with Eric. Then taking the week off to me was a great idea. We moms never seem to pamper ourselves very often at least I don't. I just may take that idea and use it someday when I really need it.
I hope your Thursday is a good one.
Lots of Hugs to you,
Judy

Mary said...

Sharon,

I've had my share of the blues and it's not pleasant. I'm glad that you had a fun trip to your sister's apple orchard with your hubby. That would have eased the transition for sure.

I remember when Michelle left home. I was a single parent at the time and talk about Empty Nest Syndrome, that was it. The house was silent and felt so empty.

The apples look lovely and I also enjoyed your strawberry jam post below. Next time you freeze the strawberries before you make the jam, just remove the hulls. That works perfectly.

Blessings,
Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...