Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rummage Sale!

This is one of my f-a-v-o-r-i-t-e things to see! A sign for the semi-annual Presbyterian Church Rummage Sale! They usually happen sometime in March and sometime in October.
I'm not sure when I first discovered this sale, but it has probably been at least ten years. It is run by the cute little old ladies of this church and it is a fabulous sale! It is not just a sale, it is a community social event! They often have goodies and you hear all the local town gossip. I always see so many of my friends and neighbors there. It also helps people in the community because they sell the clothing so cheaply.
They have all the items laid out on tables in such an organized manner.
It's always the same sweet little ladies and this year I was brave and asked them if I can take their picture. I have gotten to know the lady on the left. Her name is Peggy and she is a hoot! She is so high energy! I want to be like her when I am older. She always calls you "kid" when she talks to you. She says things like "Oh Kid, I saw that same thing at Target for $25.00" or something like that. Peggy also writes cooking column in our local newspaper. One day I told her I saw her recipe for marshmallow strawberry cake and that I thought it looked delicious and that I wanted to try it. I was so surprised when she made it and had it at the sale and let me taste it! She's so sweet!
I got all of this stuff for $27.00. I got some great deals!
I got two awesome, vintage quilts! They are not in perfect condition, they have tears and need some repair work, but that doesn't bother me, I like to use them to decorate with. This one is in pinks and purples. Look at the neat diamond pattern!
Here's a close up. Can you imagine how long it took to create a quilt with one by one inch squares! It probably took forever! I am thrilled to own it!
This is the other one. It is in brighter colors. I just love it!
I love all the different vintage fabrics, especially the one in the center with the man and woman dancing! I will fold these two quilts and display them in our guest room.
I got this wonderful vintage picture of Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane. I am going to hang it in the upstairs hallway.
I couldn't resist these two buffet lamps. I am not quite sure where I will put them, either in our bedroom, the living room or the office.
I found three pairs of leather driving gloves! I think these are so classic looking and they really keep me warm. I have worn black leather gloves for probably twenty years and I really like them. I was thrilled to find a pair of brown and black with cashmere lining and one pair of black with no lining. I will definitely use these!
I had to have this little sweet baby! I have a collection of vintage baby items in my curio in the living room and I also have been saving baby things to decorate a grand-baby room some day down the road! I am sure I will find a home for this!
This is a cool old picture of a scene from some little village. I will put this in the guest room.
I found two yellow depression glass dishes. I can always use these. I like to serve cookies and other goodies on them.
I forgot to mention that these sales are so fabulous because the little old ladies and all their friends are the ones who donate things (so do other people in the community, including myself), so it is a mother lode of wonderful treasures! And their prices!!! Oh my goodness! It's unbelievable. All of these vintage salt and pepper shakers were just .50 cents a set!
I was most excited about these turkeys. I am planning on using them for my Thanksgiving decorating. I also really like the vintage crabs and vegetable people. I don't know how I will use them, but I know I will figure out something! The crabs would be great for when we have our crabfests or when we eat seafood.
I know I don't need this, it is an old snow globe type of music box except without the water. I think it was old and cool and somehow it will fit in with my Christmas decor this year.
I also found this neat jewelry box. I have a little gold vanity set in my bedroom that I am trying to add pieces to. This matches perfectly and will hold my special small jewelry pieces.
Fun reproduction cheery tea towels and a cute little vintage crocheted hot pad in the shape of a dress. I collect old crocheted hot pads, so this will be a great addition to my collection. You can see that I also found a yellow and white floral square one, it is on the floor in the background of the picture.
I would have to say that out of all my treasures this was my favorite. It was thrown in with all the purses. At first I thought what is this in this plastic bag.
Upon further investigation, I discovered that it is a vintage beaded evening bag! I wish you could feel it, it is soooo heavy! It is really made out of thousand of glass beads.
The clasp is gorgeous.
I am planning to find a cool way to display it in my room or in the entry way. I might hang it on the wall.

I had such fun at this sale! Do you think I got $27.00 worth of stuff? I am so glad that I took pictures because a few days later I ran into Peggy at Bi-Mart and I asked her about the sale. She said that they did really, really well. I was really happy for her. She then said that they have a new lady trying to take over the sale and that next year they are changing it. I told Peggy how bummed I am to hear that and that is one of the reasons why so many people from our town shop there is because the prices are so amazing and it is a social event. She told me I should write a letter because she knows that it is just going to ruin the whole atmosphere of the sale. I am going to write a letter.

Anyway, for now I will enjoy all of my many treasures!

"Being cheerful keeps you healthy. It is slow death to be gloomy all the time. " Proverbs 17:22

Hugs! Sharon

16 comments:

Kathi said...

Sharon, I'm so excited for you. You did get the mother-lode. Those things couldn't have gone to a more worthy person. For all the junk bins you've dug threw, you deserve these special treasures. Also, you value them in a way that is right. You always apreciate that some dear person used it before you. I am so sorry a new person is taking over next year.

Today is Garrett's 7th birthday. I'm hoping to get a picture up before I leave for school. If not, I'll do it when I get home.

I love you, Kathi

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love the quilts you bought. That picture of Jeuss is just like one that hung in my parents' house when I was growing up.

There is a church in a wealthy suburb near here that has a rummage sale every year. I've heard it's fabulous, but I've never been. Maybe I should go next year.

luvmy4sons said...

I have turkey salt and pepper shakers that look just like that porcelain turkey. You always amaze me with all your finds!

Linda said...

You hit the mother lode Sharon. What a wonderful sale....you have some precious treasures. I see so many sweet things and several goodies I could just pop into my collections:). Love everything, especially your quilts, the turkeys and the beaded bag. Enjoy displaying and finding neat places for all your goodies...hugs, Linda

Happy @ Home said...

Oh, what fun you must have had. That looks like a great sale. It will be a shame if they change it next year. I think you got a lot of nice things and I especially like the baby picture and the vegetable people s & p shakers.

~Kim

Shelley said...

Hi Sharon,WOW..you struck a gold mine. What wonderful things you found. It's a great thing to have some thing like this sale to benefit so many. I pray it will not change one bit.....

I love all your finds!They are real treasures,indeed.

Blessings,Shelley

My Grandkids ROCK said...

Sharon, You got so many cool things. I have a problem passing up quilts. I have way too many but I love each one. I can't imagine making one and then selling it for nothing. I use them often and my friends know that I have them and sometimes borrow them too. Have a great day. Pam

grey like snuffie said...

I love that Diamond quilt and those turkey salt and pepper shakers are so wonderful. Maybe her perception of potential change won't be reality. Praying God gives you His words to encourage them about how wonderful this sale has been to you for so many years and why...it sounds like a treasure.

gail said...

Sharon! I am so excited for all your fun treasures. ( From one treasure hunter to another- we know how fun that is!!) Those Presbyterians know how to have a rummage sale- I am tellin'ya! I went to one that is exactly as you described- spunky-sweet older ladies- all their goodies- and their fun conversation too! Not to mention all those neat little treasures you would never find anywhere else- all those old things that these lovely grannies have had for years-so fun! LOVE your quilts! You did great! I got a ton of stuff for about 20 bucks when I went last month too- everything was SO cheap - things were like 25 cents- what a steal-- love your baby picture too! Great finds!

God bless~
Gail

Mary said...

Sharon,

Wow! You certainly got some deals. I love the vintage salt and peppers. The turkey ones are perfect for Thanksgiving decorating.

I enjoyed touring the rummage sale with you. I do hope it doesn't change. It looks fabulous and it's so much fun digging through all the items.

Take care, my friend and enjoy your week.

Blessings,
Mary

Amy said...

Congrats on the treasure you found! You got alot of neat stuff and for cheap! Lucky you!

~~Deby said...

This is why I have given you the title of Queen of Thrifting...ya done good......
Deby

nannykim said...

I miss the rumage sales!! We used to have those in New England!! They were wonderful. What neat finds you came across!

Jan Parrish said...

Looks like some great finds there!

Stephanie said...

WOW! You got a great deal ! I love those kind of sales!!! I always say if some of these things could talk, they stories they would tell!!

Anonymous said...

Love that Vintage Purse!

knottypearl

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...