Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Oh my.......it's apple pie!

Guess what I'm up to? Yep, I'm gonna make an apple pie!
We still had a ton of apples left over from the generous gift of my sister Kathi and her husband Stacey from their apple orchard. My sweetie, Eric, asked me to make an apple pie. He was so sweet and said, "I'll peel them if you make the pie!" I replied, "why, I'd love to!"
After Eric peeled and quartered them, I rinsed them and sliced them thinly. I measured out 6 cups of sliced apples.
Then I added 1 cup sugar,
1 tsp cinnamon,
a dash of nutmeg and 2 tablespoons of flour.
You stir this all together and let it sit for a bit while you make the crust. Oh, yummy, don't the apples look good!
For the dough you simply mix 2 cups of all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 2/3 cup of shortening. I use Crisco Butter Flavored shortening. You cut the shortening into the flour with a fork until the pieces of dough are the size of peas.
Then you add 7 tablespoons of water and slowly mix it in until it becomes a dough.
You make the dough into two balls.
You lay one ball of dough on a floured surface and roll with your rolling pin until flattened.
I love my marble rolling pin! It is so heavy, yet glides so easily and because it is naturally cold, it helps keep control of the dough. Roll the dough until it is big enough to fit in the pie dish.
Gently slide the dough onto your pie pain.
Then fill it with your prepared apples.
Dot with butter or margarine.
Do the same process with the other ball of dough. Lay the top crust on top of the pie.
Fold the top edge over the bottom edge and seal then press a fork into it so it has a pretty edge.
Then you stab the fork in the top crust to make little vents. I like to rub a little bit of water and then a little bit of sugar on the top to give it a pretty look and an extra yummy taste. Fancy jeweled bracelet optional....hee....hee!
Out of the extra dough I cut out the shape of an acorn with a couple of leaves for an extra special touch.
It's time to go in the oven to bake! You put foil around the edges so they don't burn. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, remove the foil and bake another 25 minutes.
All done! Doesn't it look wonderful!
Mmmmm.......fresh apple pie at Sharon's house!!! Now that is a wonderful fall treat!

I wanted to thank all of you ladies out there for leaving such wonderful comments for me yesterday. I felt your prayers and I do feel better about it. Emptying the nest is a slow and sometimes painful process, but I know that God's eye is upon the sparrow and he careth for me.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31

Love, Sharon

16 comments:

Happy @ Home said...

Mmmm . . . what a pretty and delicious looking apple pie. How nice for your husband to help you. All of your photos are lovely and what a gorgeous bracelet.

oatbread said...

Your pie looks yummy Sharon , you make the pastry look so easy . What a sweet hubby to peel the apples , he must have really wanted an apple pie. Donna

Kathi said...

Sharon, Your pie looks wonderful. I'm glad you felt encouraged by us bloggers. I'll keep praying for you. I love you, Kathi

Mrs.Ruiz said...

That looks so easy, Im not partial to apple pie but I know the rest of my family is. I will have to try that for x-mas. What kind of apples do you use? Im glad you are feeling better:)))

Linda said...

I love pie and this looks sooo delicious. I have a rolling pin I love but I was wondering about the marble ones....I'll need to start looking for one.
Changes in our lives can really send us topsy, turby....I'm glad today is better. You have so many good thought, prayers and hugs coming your way...I'm glad they help...hugs, Linda

luvmy4sons said...

I would go off my diet for a piece of that!

Amy said...

Mmm that looks good. I LOVE apple pie!

Liz said...

You have some really lucky men in your life... that looks delicious!!!!

Lille meg said...

Oh, it looks very yummy! Maybe I should try it once. Lucky you who got all these apples!
Thank you for the bible verses below! I needed it now, and it is easy to forget.
Our father cares for us!

Carol said...

I'm impressed, homemade pie crust! I just bought the frozen ones today, you inspire me to make my own!
Smiles & hugs,
Carol

Cottage Contessa said...

Good morning Sharon sweetie! Your pie looks absolutely delicious, I can almost smell the wonderful smell of apple pie baking just looking at it! Sweetie, I am sorry to hear that you are feeling a little down about your empty nest, but please know that I am praying for you too. Our lives are our story books for future generations, and so far Sharon you've been writing an amazing book. I know that with the Lord walking by your side, the rest of your book is going to produce some truly wonderful stories of loving times with your precious family! Does that make sense? I hope so! Wishing you a lovely day dear friend.
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Sondra said...

I made a pie today too AND blogged about it too! Ok, so you put WAY more effort in your pie than I did. LOL!

Jennifer said...

Sharon, if you used the apple pie recipe from the same cookbook you took a picture of, thats the same my mom makes. Pie crust too, except she uses the regular crisco. Let me tell you, I have NEVER had a better apple pie than my moms. I will eat apple pie for breakfasts and snacks and even with lunch if I can!!!

Mimi said...

yummmmmm save me a piece of that pie...with just a little glob of vanilla ice cream on top....
YUM

gail said...

Your apple pie looks delicious Sharon! I have that same cookbook! I will have to try that recipe.

God loves you!

Gail

Sharon said...

Dear Donna,

Thank you! Yes, it was delicious and I do appreciate my sweet hubby!
I tried to click on your name and it didn't let me, so I am leaving you a comment here. Have a great day!

:0) Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...