Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My new project..........covering a footstool!

This is the little project I have been working on!
I recovered this funny little footstool that I found at a garage sale for $1.00!
Don't laugh at me or make fun! Because I am not a real seamstress......I tend to do things the wrong way! The glue gun and staple gun are my best friends! I decided to just hot glue the new fabric on the stool. I laid the stool down to measure the fabric and cut it to fit.
Then I glued the fabric on the stool. At this point I hated how it looked and was ashamed of my work. I put it in the extra bedroom and there it sat for several weeks.
I finally decided to continue on with it after my new daughter, Brittany, came over and encouraged me to finish it. She said she didn't think it was that bad. What a sweet daughter-in-law I have! So, I took my glue gun out of retirement and plugged her in! I started by gluing down all the extra fabric around the top and bottom of the stool.
The next thing I did was figure out what part of the red floral fabric I wanted on the top.
Then I found a big round tray to measure the fabric.
I traced around the tray with a pen.
And then I cut the fabric out.
I then glued the top piece on.
Then I glued on a piece of ribbon to hide the seams.
It worked out pretty well!
Hey, it doesn't look half bad! Now I need to hot glue the fringe to the bottom.
Okay, I'm all done now.......what do you think?
I think it turned out pretty cute, but don't look too close, you will see all my mistakes! This little makeover cost me roughly $16.00 - about $15.00 for materials and $1.00 for the stool. Not bad!
I put it in the guest room and it goes perfectly in there with all the reds and whites, florals and checks!

Have a great day!

"She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands" Proverbs 31:13

Hugs, Sharon

24 comments:

Sondra said...

That is great Sharon! You did a wonderful job. I love the colors- that fabric matches my bedroom curtains. Great redo!!

gail said...

Sharon~

This is SO cute. You did a great job~ and Brittany is an encourager! I love your little footstool- I KNEW it was something for your cute guestroom ;)

Blessings!

Gail

luvmy4sons said...

You go girl.....I'm telling ya...you need to be a professional decorator!

Julian said...

You did such a great job! I really like the combination of fabric that you used. You are so talented! Thanks for sharing with us!
Christina

Elena said...

Well, my guess was wrong:) That is a really cute idea and you did a good job. Martha Stewart would be proud of you!

Liz said...

Wonderful! It looks so cute! I passed a footstool like this up the other day, just sitting out on someone's curb. Now I'm kicking myself!

Connie said...

Well, sweetpea, ya didn't select "wool and flax" but you certainly did have "eager" hands and it turned out adorable!! I've done the same thing with stools and they turned out great. I think I'm known throughout the WORLD as having the ugliest footstool underneath a cover I made for it. LOL Hey, maybe I'll blog about that this week....stay tuned.......
:-)
Smooches,
Connie

Mrs.Ruiz said...

I think you did a great job:)

Linda said...

Wow...wonderful re-do! The fabric combination looks so pretty and I think glue guns are the best little tool:) Hugs, Linda

Carol said...

I love it Sharon! Great job with the glue gun!
Hugs,
Carol

Jan said...

Wow! Sharon that is great! You did such a good job! I am completely impressed!

Judy said...

That turned out cute. You did a great job. That was not one of the ideas I had in mind.

Amy said...

That is so cute! I love the choice of material too. I have a footstool I wanted to recover (a garage sale find too)

By the way, I LOVE how you put Scripture at the end of your blog posts. It is very encouraging. Thank you for doing that.

mardell said...

:o) :o) :o)
*L*O*V*E* it, Sharon! You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. (You go girl, Brittany, for giving your beautiful MIL a nudge!) It's very classy & looks so comfy. It's perfect for your lovely guest room.

Hugs,
Mardell

Jan Parrish said...

It looks totally fabulous! Great job Sharon. You inspire me to tackle some of my difficult projects.

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh this turned out so cute!!!!

Kelly

Ruthie said...

I love it!!! I would never have thought of something so beautiful when I saw that little footstool>
You have an amazing way with decorating and creativity. What fun. It's inspiring just to read your blog. :)

Hugs.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That is really cute, and it does look perfect in that room.

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

Your footstool is so cute! Good work!

Gina

elaine said...

Sharon you made the little stool look warm and cozy..it's so pretty now. Only YOU know the mistakes. That's the way it is. Great project and you finished!

Dee said...

Sharon,
I have one word for you: BEAUTIFUL!!
Dee

cherished*vintage said...

I love your new footstool! You amaze me with your hot glue gun. You chose wonderful fabric!!
-Karoline

Michelle said...

I just LOVE how your footstool turned out, Sharon...you go girl!

Kathi said...

Sharon, It's so cute!! You are amazing. I love it. Love, Kathi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...