Saturday, November 8, 2008

Getting the most for my money!

I love good old fashion Johnson's hand lotion. It is my favorite. I remember my grandmother Margaret always had it in her powder room and I LOVED the scent. It is very economical and it works great too! Well, I bought the pump style last time and I was frustrated because when it got low it quit pumping, but I could tell that there was still lotion in the bottle.

So I started pulling out the pump and rubbing the end of the tube on my hands. Kind of ridiculous huh! I did this for a few weeks and thought, this is nuts. Just throw the darn thing away. But my frugal voice said, "Don't throw it out, there is a lot of lotion in the bottom, just cut the plastic and get the lotion out".
So I got out my new favorite tool, my electric knife (with the Goodwill price tag still shinning proudly on the top!) and started in on cutting the bottle.
It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but it wasn't too bad.
Finally, I'm finished. See......I told you there was lotion in the bottom!
Look.......there is quite a bit in there! Okay, now I need to find a cute container to put it in.
I went out the to garage and looked in my cabinet full of old jars and found this beauty!
I got a little rubber scrapper and scraped out the lotion into the little jar.
There was more in there than I realized!
There, just about 10 minutes of my time and I saved a few bucks!
I know that some of you would have thrown out the bottle, I mean, after all it probably only cost $4.00, so I only saved a buck or so, but I really like to be frugal. I like the old phrase, "A penny saved is a penny earned!"I feel like the Lord blesses me because I am frugal. I witnessed my father doing this kind of thing many times when I was a little girl with all kinds of things. I believe he learned to be frugal from his mother, Ethel, who with her husband, Harry, raised nine children during the great depression in a home very much like the Walton's. I just think it is wise to be frugal when we can!

Have a wonderful weekend!

"Wealth gained hastily will dwindle,but whoever gathers little by little will increase it." Proverbs 13:11

Love, Sharon

20 comments:

luvmy4sons said...

No. I have done the same thing. I have squeezed and squeezed a facial wash bottle thinking that soon I should just throw it out. I have cut open containers as well. I feel like a poor steward to do otherwise. Of course I stopped short of getting a cute little bottle to put it in. You are always so creative and ever the decorator! Better than me!

grey like snuffie said...

Well, it's good to be frugal. But you crack me up with the electric knife. That is GREAT! The little jar is so cool.

Carol said...

I like to use things in bottles till the last drop is gone, but I've never use an electric knife to cut the bottle, what a smart idea! Thanks for sharing!
Smiles & hugs,
Carol

Happy @ Home said...

I can totally relate to this post. As the child of depression era parents I find it hard to be wasteful. My mom used to do that very same thing with the lotion bottles although I think she used scissors instead of the electric knife. I wish I knew your knife tricks a few months ago because I took the electric knife I received as a wedding gift to the Goodwill. I never used it and thought it had taken up space for too long.
My kids bring me their liquid soap bottles when they are near the end - a few drops of water and a good shake and I can get another 2 weeks out of what they would have thrown away :-)

Anonymous said...

I do similiar with the rubber scraper -- Good to the Last drop!!!
Do not have electric knife though-- too funny! I use the sliver of a bar of soap til the very last too! My Dad was a small town police officier and 4 of us kids-- money was very tight!!! Even the condiments like ketchup and mayo get scraped to the last drop!!! :o)
Karyl

Mrs.Ruiz said...

I wouldnt have thrown it out, Im just like you my husband calls me "discount Dana" I do the exact same thing:))

Joyfull said...

I am so impressed! I would have turned the bottle upside down for while and then thrown what would not come down out. But, I love your idea much better. Thanks for a great lesson in wise use and money saving idea.

Judy said...

I didn't think of putting the last bit in a pretty jar. I usually put it in a zip lock bag. Thanks for sharing that tip.
Judy

Farrah said...

Sharon,

I love the glass jar with the silver top. Very elegant! My husband and I do the same thing with our moisturizers/cleansers. His moisturizer is quite expensive. Mine isn't, but why waste?

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon,

I am always cutting the bottom off my hair gel squeeze bottle. But I need to find a cute jar like you do because by the time I get to it, it has dried up. I will be on the look out for one.

Thanks for the idea.

Willa

Kathi said...

Sharon, Great post! I love your cute ways. I do the same frugal things only, I'm lacking the cute jar. I do what Dad did and stick foil over it!! Since I'm a girl and love girly things I'm going to get some cute little jars like you at garage sales. It's fun to be frugal and femine too. Love ya, Kathi

mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
I do this too (except for the cute container to put it in.) There really IS alot on the bottom that the pump doesn't reach. I've been known to save foil, ziplock bags, straws, paper lunch bags. I remember my Grandfather reusing a paper towel if he dried his hands on it. He'd hang it on the towel bar in his bathroom to dry. All this saves $$ in the long run! :o)

Love your doughnut post, too! And I think you look delightful w/o makeup! Look at your pearly whites! You're a natural ~

Hope you're having a great weekend.
Hugs,
Mardell

claire said...

I have that same jar - bought it on eBay. I just love it. It's an old Avon collectible jar. I keep my perfume sample vials in there but I like your idea!

the voice of melody said...

Wow, you sure are pretty creative on top of being frugal! That's great. :)

I really like your donut post below. Some of my favorite moments are taking my little boy (age 6) to Dunkin Donuts for a bagel or donut and just talking about his baseball card collection, what he wants to do when he grows up and that sort of thing. Special times over Boston Creme donuts! :)

Many sweet blessings!

Cottage Contessa said...

Here! Here! I agree, and I actually do exactly the same thing....always have, always will! I believe too that the Lord blesses those who try to be good stewards with their money and property. Have a lovely Sunday sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Kelly said...

Oh I have done this too!!! Doesn't it feel good to get that last bit out....????? I think it is good to be frugal and try and get what we pay for.

Love,
Kelly

Lori said...

I do those exact same things.
I cut all my containers like that open...shampoo, conditioner, lotion, any of my face products and so.
It is really amazing what is left in there and what would have been wasted if I had not taken the time ot cut it open.

Came to your site through another site. I've seen you around blogland at lots of the same blogs I comment at.

~~Deby said...

love these kind of posts...ESPECIALLY...nowadays...
Deby

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

Well I am glad to see I am not the only one to do that type of thing! And I always thought it was because I am Dutch!? I love your pretty jar you put it in! Another couple of ways to finish out a bottle of something is, is sometimes I will add marbles (that I use in vases) to bring the liquid up to the level of the pump jar "straw". Or find another longer straw that goes all the way to the bottom of the jar.

I love to read all of the things you and your family are doing - and best wishes to the newlyweds! I also admire all you accomplish, and still have time to blog too yet!

Hugs from Michigan - Diane

Linda said...

I would have done the same thing....I love using everything up too. My granma use to say waste not want not...hugs, Linda

ps...putting the lotion in the pretty container is a bonus...I'd never have thought of that...saving that neat idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...