Monday, November 3, 2008

Fun day with Lisa and Desi

I met my two friends, Desi and Lisa for a fun filled day of girl time, shopping and eating! We started out meeting at 10:00 for a fun breakfast.
These two young ladies are good friends with my son, Cameron. They all met in college and are still good friends. This is Desi.
And this is Lisa. They are really sweet young Christian women. Their mother's do not live in our town, so I have become their substitute mother! We talked about all kinds of subjects and laughed a ton!
After breakfast we went to Goodwill. These guys are so funny, they are always doing something that cracks me up!
When we went down the Halloween isle, they couldn't resist dressing up! When they came around the corner like this it cracked me up! We were having too much fun!
We went to several thrift stores and we all found great treasures. If you look closely, you can see the pretty crockpot that I found! I have been looking for a new one for quite awhile now and I'm so excited to use it!
After the thrift stores we drove to this fun store called Ruthie Bs. It is a to die for shop!
There are amazing antiques and original folk art done by local artists.
Everywhere you look there's eye candy! I remember my grandmother Margaret having a deer planter like this. It's so funny though to hear them look at something that I remember as a young adult and they say in an endearing voice "Oh, I remember thiiiissss, my grandpa had one of theeessse" and it is something from the 80s like a Mickey Mouse phone! I guess my age is showing!
I love this white rustic looking fabric pumpkin with the old black crow pecking on it!
I love how Ruthie displays things. Something about seeing all these vintage turkey candles called to me. I own a few of these guys myself. I believe I got my first one from my Sunday school teacher because I memorized a scripture!
I get very inspired by going to stores like this. Here is a great example. I inherited a wonderful old base to a singer sewing machine just like this one from my mother-in-law. Mine is painted gold with a piece of glass on top. It is a little too fancy for my home. But when I saw the way this one was displayed, I thought, oh my goodness, I can do that to mine! Paint it flat black and add a wooden crate to the top. I love how primitive it looks! I also love that black and white checkered floor!
Here's a cute idea too! It's simply an empty can of pumpkin pie filling with dried flowers and raffia. What a great idea for a center piece on Thanksgiving day!
We had lunch at Ruthie B's. I ordered the tomato basil garlic bisque with bread and it was fantastic!
Lisa and Desi shared this fabulous dessert! It is chocolate peanut butter pie! Oh, my mouth is watering!
I got inspired and excited for Christmas after visiting the Christmas booth at Ruthie Bs. I think I am going to make a sign like this one. I love how it is so beat up and antique looking!
I love this little display of Christmas angels and choir boys and girls. So cute!
I had such a great day with these young ladies. I hope that I can be a good role model and an encourager to them as the Bible calls us older women to do!

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God." Titus 2:3-5

Blessings, Sharon

16 comments:

Carol said...

Wow Sharon, your Goodwill store is so well stocked compared to the one near my house! It looks like you had a marvelous time with your friends.
Smiles,
Carol

My Grandkids ROCK said...

Hi Sharon,
Ruthie's is one of my favorite places. You can look forever and get the best ideas. The ladies that work there are so fun. And the food is fun too. What a great place to spend some time with friends. Have a great day. Pam

Kathi said...

Oh what a joyous fun day. Desi and Lisa are such wonderful girls and yes, Sharon, you are a great role model. Oh boy, do I ever wish I could have gone with you. I love being with you and doing those fun things. I love you, Kathi

luvmy4sons said...

What fun!

gail said...

Looks like you had such a wonderful day with your friends! The shop had lots of great items- and lots of ideas- I do that too- get ideas to make things-I either take a picture or write them down to remember them.
I love the goodwill fun you all had!
I am sure you bless your younger friends as much as they bless you!

Have a great week!

Gail

Mrs.Ruiz said...

That is a pretty cool store, you three looked like you were having so much fun. You are a sweet person Sharon:))

mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Oh what fun you have! :o) I love stores like that ~ I could spend hours browsing & ooohing & aaahing. What a great idea to do for your antique sewing machine base. Now go get that flat black spray paint. What are you waiting for? LOL Do you have an old wooden crate? If not, I bet Eric could whip one up out of old lumber (perhaps barn wood?)

Yes, you ARE a wonderful role model & you're a shining example of a beautiful Christian woman. I'm so happy I found your blog & enjoy it so much ~ thank you.

Hugs,
Mardell

Rosemary said...

oh my goodness! I didn't know you lived near ruthie bs! I've seen lots of pics of their shop over the years! It looks like such a fun place to shop :)

Shelley said...

Hi Sharon,looks like you all had a very fun day together. It's so good that you have befriended these young ladies. I am sure you will be a great example to each of them and will strenghten them in their walk with Christ...

Blessings,Shelley

Beautiful Pear Tree Lane said...

Hi Sharon,
How wonderful that God has placed these two beautiful girls in your life for you to be able to mentor them. I was so touched by your post on giving
God glory. We all need to stop and count our blessings more often. I too have been doing a lot of reflecting lately.
Blessings,
Sue

Michelle said...

Glad you enjoyed such a lovely day with your friends! It's really neat to see you being such a positive mentor for them :)

Have an awesome week, Sharon!

Hugs,
Michelle

Stephanie said...

I LOVE going to Ruthies... im so jealous that you are closer driving there than us!!!
As soon as Pams schedule gets a bit lighter, we are meeting you & your sister there for sure!! LOL
Thanks for sharing those great pics and cute story !!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That does look like such a fun time. The turkey candle brought back such memories. And that tomatoe bisque looks yummy.

Becky K. said...

That looked like soooo much fun!

It is a good thing to be a mentor...great job!

Becky K.

Sharon said...

Hi Mardell,

Oh, you would love that store, it is so much fun and you could spend hours in there! Again, thanks for the sweet comments.

Hugs, Sharon

Heidi Ann said...

I'm very curious after reading your blog which town/city you live in? Where is Ruthie B's?? Because the next time I am able to take a trip to Oregon, I would love to go there if I possibly can!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...