Monday, November 24, 2008

Fun at the fabric store!

There is just something magical about going into the fabric store. I can't quite explain it, but when I walk in the door and see all the different colors, patterns and textures, and then smell that wonderful smell that fabric stores have, I just go to another world!
Do you guys know what I'm talking about? Maybe it goes back to the times of going there with my mother and being about to pick out fabric for a new dress that she was going to make me. There is always such hope and anticipation at a fabric store!
Perhaps it is the potential of some enchanting fairy gown that could be made!
Maybe it's the excitement of the empty canvas just waiting for me to get my creative juices flowing and design something! I think when you go to a fabric store, it is almost always for a very good reason! You are creating something new and exciting, it is not a negative experience, it is a wonderful, positive, exhilarating experience!
What's funny about this love that I have for the fabric stores is that I really don't sew! I have sewn things before like like the gym bag that I made in my 7th grade Home-Ec class and got a B+ on! But since then I have only sewn a few things such as a Christmas tree skirt, Christmas stockings, pillows and valances for my windows, but only things that have pretty straight lines!
I mainly go to the fabric stores to get fabrics for crafts.
I also like to look through all the other items they sell at the fabric store like candles and lotions,
and all the holiday decorations. But today I am on the hunt for the perfect fabric for my project.
Okay, here's the section I need. Yumm......look at all these gorgeous fabrics! This can be the hardest part...trying to make a choice out of all these beautiful fabrics!
I think I figured it out though! I like the red and white gingham and the red floral fabric. I think these will be perfect!
Okay, this is what I purchased! Can any of you guess what I am up to? You'll have to wait until tomorrow to see!

"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30

Love, Sharon

22 comments:

Michelle said...

Great choices, Sharon...love floral & gingham together! Can't wait to see your project; I'm definitely gonna check back!

Have a wonderful week!

Hugs,
Michelle

Connie said...

I absolutely adore fabric stores also, honey!!! I'd rather spend time in there and Home Depot than any other stores. Just always something so neato in hardware stores! LOL
Smooches,
Connie

gail said...

I don't really 'sew' either but I love the fabrics store too. There are sooo many possibilities. I love the things you chose- can't wait to see what you are making! Lampshades maybe? These colors seem to match your cute guestroom . I will check back to see what you made!

Happy Monday!

Gail

Liz said...

Mmmm... great buys. Those will look great in your house!

Elena said...

Seeing the fringe I would guess curtains or a pillow:)

Carol said...

I can only quess what you might be making with those pretty fabrics!
Table runner, chair covers, curtains???? Can't wait to see what you'll create!!
Smiles,
Carol

Judy said...

I have a few ideas but I'm sure they're not it. I love fabric and yarn shops. It's like being in a candy store. Have a wonderful Monday.
Judy

mardell said...

Hi Sharon!
Oh how I remember going to the fabric store with my mother when I was very young. She sewed my dresses & summer outfits. It was an old store with hardwood floors that creaked when you walked on them. And it smelled like Murphy's Oil soap. But the fabric is my best memory!

I don't sew much myself. I made duffel bag in 8th grade, but don't remember what my grade was! LOL

I'm excited to see what you're making. I love your color choices!

Hugs,
Mardell

Mrs.Ruiz said...

A table runner and napkins? :))

Sharon Kay said...

I love your fabric and you just have to have wonderful taste Sharon. You have chosen the same fabric I have at my kitchen window. I love the store and could spend hours just looking. From one Sharon to another........have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Simply Heart And Home said...

Sharon,

I think I'm the opposite. I break out in a sweat when I go to a fabric store. lol I am not a seamstress by any means. I do like looking at the craft supplies though. :)

I am guessing you are going to make a table cloth and napkins??

Gina

Kathi said...

Oh what perfect choices Sharon. Yes, I feel the same magic you do when I go into those stores. I love them. Happy Monday. Love ya, Kathi

luvmy4sons said...

LOL! I see a fabric store and feel nothing but inadequate...till I get to the yarn isle then I get excited about starting another afghan crocheting!

Amy said...

ohhhhh!!! I can't wait to see what you are going to do! I am about to start some fun sewing projects. You could be an inspiration to my next project! :)

Jocelyn said...

I am thinking Lampshade, Pillows, or some sort of something fabulous for the guest room.

Do I win?

Lady Farmer said...

I'm thinkin' you're going to make Christmas stockings? I'll check back tomorrow to see what you made.
ttfn
LF

Linda said...

I know exactly how you feel...I get the same feelings especially if I'm at a shop with anything to do with cross stitching.
I like your fabrics choices...maybe a reversible table runner with red tassels...can't wait to see the finished project...hugs, Linda

jennifer said...

The last photo is SO you!

I feel that way about scrapbook paper. It gets my imagination flowing and I just can't say no!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Fabric stores, not so much, but get me in a yarn shop and I go nuts.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you're up to.

Rosemary said...

I love the fabrics you chose! Were you shopping at Joanns? Your store looks just like ours ;) I love going in there to see what they have in the decorating dept! Rosemary

Ruthie said...

I love your choice of fabric...anxious to see what you do with them.
I like fabric stores also. :)

Hugs.

Sharon said...

Oh Mardell.....I loved hearing about your memories of going to that cool old fabric store with your mother! That's wonderful!

Happy day to ya!

Sharon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...