Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dinner in a punkin!

I got this recipe from Deby at Apples of Gold . It is "Dinner in a Pumpkin" and it is a really fun, festive meal! Please go to her blog to see her recipe. I changed up the recipe a bit to fit the needs of my family. First you take a medium to small sized pumpkin and cut out the lid and then clean it completely out.
Saute 1 pound hamburger and 1 chopped onion. I changed Deby's recipe a bit and added about 1/2 pound of pork sausage as well.
In a separate bowl, mix 3 cups of cooked rice (white or brown) and add 1 can Cream of Mushroom soup and 1 can of Cream of Chicken soup.
Stir until completely mixed.
Keep stirring the meat until it is completely cooked through.
Then add the rice mixture to the meat.
Stir until completely mixed.
While I was cooking the meat, I popped some rolls made from the frozen dough into the oven. They turned out perfect! If you haven't tried them, you should! They taste just like home made.
Place the pumpkin in a Pyrex casserole dish.
Scoop the meat and rice mixture into the pumpkin.
Put the lid on and place in the oven at 375 for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. I checked on it after an hour and it was looking good!
Oops.......Mackenzie and Brittany came over for dinner and I started talking with them and left the pumpkin in too long! It kinda sorta burned! Look at all the liquid that came out too.
Oh darn! I hate it when this happens! Martha Stewart would just die! You can see though that if I didn't burn it, it would have been a beautiful presentation with all my fall table decorations!
It still tasted good and it was a fun dinner even though my family teased me mercilessly!
I served this a couple of weeks ago and it was the first Sunday that the newlyweds came over for dinner! We had such a great evening! I am loving family Sunday dinners! I hope that you will try this recipe. I was thinking that you could make really any kind of casserole to put in the pumpkin and I have even seen people put soup in the pumpkin. I have also seen soup being served in individual mini pumpkins......that would be fun too! Thanks Deby for the great idea!!!

Have a happy Thursday!

"The righteous eat to their hearts' content, but the stomach of the wicked goes hungry." Proverbs 13: 24-25
Hugs, Sharon

20 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

This looks like a fun meal that kids would love because of the pumpkin. Do you eat the cooked pumpkin along with the casserole?

Linda said...

What a neat recipe and such a clever way to cook and present this yummy dish. I know it was delish and your table looks so pretty, I love the fall dishes you are collecting...I'm sure Martha even has had small mishaps....hugs, Linda

Sharon said...

Dear Ruth,

No, you don't eat the pumpkin shell.....well we didn't I guess if you wanted to you probably could. The dishes were easy that night, just toss the pumpkin away!

:0) Sharon

Judy said...

What an interesting dish.
:)
Judy

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing such a fun recipe!
Carol

Michelle said...

What a fun way to serve dinner! I'm all about creative serving :) LOL I used to be one of the leaders for the women's ministry of our church when we lived in NC and my responsibilities included event planning...food/decor/etc. - oh, it was SO MUCH fun!

Hope your week is going well, Sharon!

~~Deby said...

Thank Sharon, for sharing the recipe...and YES...you eat the pumpkin...taste just like squash...and it really is delicious..I think there are many concoctions you could come up with...and your house smells good too.
Deby
This is really my daughters recipe...

Sharon said...

Dear readers.....I feel so silly! Please read Deby's comment above (she's the one who gave me the recipe). She said you DO eat the pumpkin! I didn't realize that and we threw it out! Maybe in my case it was good that we didn't eat it since I burnt it! :0(

LOL! Sharon

Jocelyn said...

What an interesting recipe.
This weekend I am making Curry and Trying Cinnamon rolls again.
Stay Tuned !

Mrs.Ruiz said...

Sunday dinner looks like fun:))

luvmy4sons said...

Never seen this before. You always surprise me.

grey like snuffie said...

How fun. My family has a rule---I'm not allowed to walk away from the kitchen unless there is a timer set---even if it's just for two more minutes---I'll loose track of time. I too am curious if you ate the pumpkin.

Jan said...

Well that sounds like a fun recipe! I'll have to try it! I like anything where there are fewer dishes to wash!
I just read your previous post and I am appalled! I've never heard of this group and am deeply saddened by that poster! Just unbelievable!

Kathi said...

Sharon, What a great idea. I will visit Deby too. I am so glad it tasted good anyway. The newlyweds are such a cute couple. I love you, Kathi

Sharon Kay said...

I love the dinner you served in the pumpkin. Such a good idea and then to share with the new married couple. Liked all of the senior pictures and he is a handsome gentleman..........yes he is.

Toia said...

This is the first I have ever heard of dinner in a pumpkin. I'm glad you had a good time cooking it and sharing it with your family. By the way, great pics!! :)

littleladyboutique said...

What a neat idea, Sharon! I've heard of it before, but have never tried it. Does the casserole taste "pumpkiny" afterward?

Connie said...

looks like a fun dinner and I would have probably burnt it too...(my oven runs hotter than it should.) I have been away for a while and I just wanted to say your son's senior pics are adorable and I am having the same dilemma with his pics. Too many to chose from. my vote is the close cropped one in the white shirt. He is one handsome boy.

Jan Parrish said...

Very festive. I can tell you that my DH would not go for it. Your guys are good sports. I'm sure it was delicious.

Oh, I've been shot. Come read about it!

Kelly said...

oh so festive ...I think I may try this if I can still find a pumpkin for sale!!!

kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...